Lt. Commander
# 1 Boarding Parties
03-19-2010, 04:18 AM
In canon, during a space battle (nemisis for example), when a ships shields are down or at least one section of the ships shields, its possible for another ship to beam a boarding party to the opposing ship.

So why in STO (its a great game in my opinion just some inconsistencies) do we send extremely vulnerable shuttles, instead of transporting them.
That and i think that active boarding parties should get a 50/50 chance of disabling a subsystem and or crew, just a thought..

What do you peeps think?
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-19-2010, 04:27 AM
Bear in mind both ships shields would need to be down for this to occur.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-19-2010, 04:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrisJ View Post
Bear in mind both ships shields would need to be down for this to occur.
Well, typically, the ship sending the teams would drop their facing shield for a split second to initiate transport...

Easy answer is... ease of use game mechanics. Hit & Run action takes precise timing and planning. Besides, to be perfectly honest, in STO with the very limited internal systems mechanics, there's barely even a use for boarding parties. At least as I see it.

By the by, the shuttles wouldn't actually be able to make it through to the ship at all until there was a shield down, anyway. You know, if actual physics applied in MMO World... (this is canon from as early as ST V: TFF, a shuttle cannot approach a ship while its shields are up).
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-19-2010, 07:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCSlyman View Post
Well, typically, the ship sending the teams would drop their facing shield for a split second to initiate transport...

Easy answer is... ease of use game mechanics. Hit & Run action takes precise timing and planning. Besides, to be perfectly honest, in STO with the very limited internal systems mechanics, there's barely even a use for boarding parties. At least as I see it.

By the by, the shuttles wouldn't actually be able to make it through to the ship at all until there was a shield down, anyway. You know, if actual physics applied in MMO World... (this is canon from as early as ST V: TFF, a shuttle cannot approach a ship while its shields are up).
But didn't they send a shuttle through a shield in 'The Best of Both Worlds'?
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-19-2010, 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiserhawk View Post
But didn't they send a shuttle through a shield in 'The Best of Both Worlds'?
In canon, the Borg don't use standard shields on their ships, per se. The regenerative ability of their ships is considered adequate, plus they can tune their hull to repel weapons damage of that same type, much like the individual drones can ("Q Who?"). The Federation eventually, and obviously, found ways to delay or negate that modulation, but the fact remains... they don't use defensive shields.

They did, however, use a low-intensity subspace (or possibly magnetic.. been a while since I watched that episode) field to prevent unwanted transporter activity to their ship in TBoBW Pt 2. This field was bypassed via shuttle, as it could not stop regular matter, only low-intensity signal energy. Communications, transporters, that sort of thing. That's why the shuttle had to clear the field a second time once they had Locutus in hand.

So, yeah. Apples and oranges.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-19-2010, 05:40 PM
I can still send boarding parties if my entire crew is dead. Talk about canon, lol