Lt. Commander
# 1 The earth
03-23-2010, 09:10 PM
Well uhhh did 2012 really happen in the star trek universe? is that why the earth does NOT rotate on its axis? or is it just a programming error? Either way I would like to see the earth rotating as much as I love looking at North America. If I could see a dev post on this It would make me really happy.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-24-2010, 05:08 AM
Its called a geosynchronous orbit. Aka the space station rotates around the Earth at the same rate that the Earth turns.

While we're on the topic of the Earth.. why can't we beam down again? I realize the 'whole' planet would be silly but places like SF Academy or the capital (aka bits of Paris) would be nice food for the eyes (and the roleplay).
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-24-2010, 05:41 AM
I think what he means is that the Earth always maintains the same facing towards the Sun. From space, it looks like it's always about 3:00 in the afternoon in California. Conversely, from SB1, it looks like it's perpetually early evening on the west coast.

There's also the troubling fact that the Sun is at zenith well north of the Tropic of Cancer...
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-24-2010, 05:38 PM
Wait.. we're expecting astronomical accuracy from the devs? I don't even see suns in the solar systems we explore let alone placing the planet and its satellites with any detail within the solar system.

Though it would be nice. Its those little inconsistencies which continuously ruin the emmersion factor for the game.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-24-2010, 07:09 PM
Klingons slagged the rest of the planet years ago, it's not very pretty. Glows at night though! {{:-)
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-27-2010, 02:02 AM
I dont think any planets rotate in STO. And for the fellow who spoke of SFA, I'm sure it will be added eventually. Pretty much everyone is asking for it.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-27-2010, 07:56 PM
Um....who gives a crap???? You are out in space for 5 seconds before going into the spacedock. Is it really that big a problem that the planet doesnt spin.

Well hey if spinning planets are so great on EVE then go play EVE.

No MMO released with everything perfect. THis game isnt even the worst launch.

Game would look pretty boring if it was nothing but black starfield all over the place. And it would be a lot harder to have a sense of direction in the game. Besides if you were REALLY in space there wouldnt be any stars at all. so w/e
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-28-2010, 08:08 AM
It shows a lack of attention to detail.

Something that is just a little important when it comes to quality over quantity.

Though as the previous poster's attitude clearly shows, that is the mass audience Cryptic was shooting for, "We don't care how it looks we just want it to work."
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-29-2010, 01:04 PM
I don't see a problem with spacedock, or the nebula. its very artistic in my view,
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-31-2010, 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavilier210 View Post
I don't see a problem with spacedock, or the nebula. its very artistic in my view,
but it shows a total lack of regard to the canon, and to our own real world...there is no blue in our solar sytem...there wasnt in any of the Trek films or shows...ever ever ever....sure the spacedock itself is okay...but the nebula is horse crap.