Lt. Commander
There are lots such as Harry Potter that could have followed books more closely such as Dobby is in it alot more in all the other films.

BUT

This is about what you think are great books that movies have totaly got wrong.

For me It was Aliens VS Predator and the other book Prey, It's a while since i read them so i might have forgotten some points.

It was set on a planet that the Predators used as a hunting ground, however pesky humans had moved in and so the Aliens had impregnated the local Cattle by accident.

In movie the preds are sending young to become men much as in the book. However the leader also joins them and is injured during a mistaken fight. He is taken to the human hospital and eventually kind of befriends the Asian lady.

It roughly follows the film in that he and said lady battle the queen and he is injured, and he gives her a symbol on her head and a trophy making her part of the hunt. They even have a language.

The second book she returns and is on the predator ship hunting with them and even dons the armour.

I would have liked to see the movies set in the future as these are and not on Earth.

Still they were ok movies just i didn't get the same sense that i did from reading it.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-23-2010, 12:13 PM
When I first heard about them making an Aliens vs. Predator movie, I assumed it was going to be based on the Dark Horse comic. Which was awesome. The comic, I mean, not the movie.

Suffice to say, the movie made me sad in the pants.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-23-2010, 12:15 PM
agreed with AvP

but regardless of how some don't like the Harry Potter movies or how much they differ from the books, they are still very successful. It's similar to how LotR deviated a bit from it's source material, such as the expanded roles of Arwen. Gotta do it for the chance to rake in more $$$.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-23-2010, 12:15 PM
Everybody poops: The movie. Just think about that for a while.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-23-2010, 12:19 PM
I was hoping that AvP would be right there with the AvP games. Colonial Marines vs. Aliens vs. Predators. The only thing that made watching AvP: Requiem worth it was the chest burster popping out of the kids chest. Because...they went there.

I want to get it back into space, or on some alien world, with bliping radars, dark tunnels or passageways, and make me feel clastrophobic watching it, which ups the psychological intensity.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-23-2010, 12:28 PM
And the way the predator has to keep going ROOOOOARRR every friggiin 5 mins

in the first movie when he takes mask off and roars at the girl i thought he was gonna snog her

They do have a language

But yeah the Aliens movie still gives me the creeps even today. But AvP isnt scary at all what with CGI aliens
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-23-2010, 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingdeadjedi View Post
And the way the predator has to keep going ROOOOOARRR every friggiin 5 mins

in the first movie when he takes mask off and roars at the girl i thought he was gonna snog her

They do have a language

But yeah the Aliens movie still gives me the creeps even today. But AvP isnt scary at all what with CGI aliens
Well, what got me really about the 1st AvP was when they made it to the top of the tunnel, and outside...she is NOT WEARING ANYTHINNG TO KEEP HER WARM! Not only that, their is no breath condensation. She would have froze her boobs off in the time she was up there. Oi!
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-23-2010, 12:36 PM
I have to say, Starship Troopers lost something in translation, but I still love the movies, and the game.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-23-2010, 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingdeadjedi View Post
Still they were ok movies just i didn't get the same sense that i did from reading it.
That's probably because the AvP movies were a loose adaptation of various things from the book/comic mythos, and not intended as a direct translation.

I'm going to get flamed to high hell for this one, but honestly? The Godfather. The book was brilliantly paced, gave all the information you could ask for, and details that the first two movies didn't cover. If you've never read the book, then imagine the first movie and the flashback parts of Part Two - that's the book, right there. The characters are fleshed out more, there's stories within stories, and it's just an excellent read. The movies, however (which I saw after reading the book) were a let-down. Wonderfully acted, brilliantly directed, superbly filmed, but...they weren't The Godfather.

Also, I liked Part Three.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-23-2010, 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasherman View Post
That's probably because the AvP movies were a loose adaptation of various things from the book/comic mythos, and not intended as a direct translation.

I'm going to get flamed to high hell for this one, but honestly? The Godfather. The book was brilliantly paced, gave all the information you could ask for, and details that the first two movies didn't cover. If you've never read the book, then imagine the first movie and the flashback parts of Part Two - that's the book, right there. The characters are fleshed out more, there's stories within stories, and it's just an excellent read. The movies, however (which I saw after reading the book) were a let-down. Wonderfully acted, brilliantly directed, superbly filmed, but...they weren't The Godfather.

Also, I liked Part Three.
Actually I agree. I liked the movies but the original novel was a lot more expansive and a wonderfully paced potboiler.

Oh, and I made the mistake of reading the "authorized sequel' a couple years ago ("The Godfather Returns") ... bleah.