Lt. Commander
# 1 Demo and Referral length
05-14-2010, 08:35 AM
seriously? just up to the SS Azura?

Devs, guys, at least extend it to the vulcan patrol or something. let players experience the ground and space combat, bit of anomaly hunting, looting etc. if the thing is too short people wont bother, because a lot will still be unsure if they like it or not.

extend the demo and referral programs, even if its only for a couple more missions. patrol vulcan, dimplomatic orders and maybe one more. just to ensure they get the feel, and i bet it will ensure more purchases, and probably a lot less angry posts when people purchase after the demo/referral and realise they dont like the game but werent able to tell from the tiny bit of content they got to experience.

pretty please with sugar on top?
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-14-2010, 08:56 AM
Definatley agreed.
A tiny boxed up cargo ship with humanoids against an alien planetside with a non-humanoid alien is just sad.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-14-2010, 08:59 AM
It needs at the very least to be extended to include that mission where you transport the Vulcan Ambassador. (If it isn't already) That was the mission that really hooked me on how the game could be.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-14-2010, 12:49 PM
Agreed. Make the demo long enough to experience a wide range of what the game offers.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-14-2010, 01:50 PM
I was actually thinking there needs to be a "shakedown cruise" mission added at the start, and extended to the demos.

Fly to Wolf 359 to pay respects, pick up an ambassador at Vulcan and walk about there a little just to see the place, then take them to Risa for some R&R and stay a bit to soak it in. I think something like this would help populate the "RP" locations a bit more, as most likely don't know they are there.

Then let the demos continue to freely wander the sector block and visit those planets, and perhaps even fight off enemy signal contacts.

Even if the "shakedown" isn't combat oriented, if its at least as well-written as the story ambassador mission, it will work well.

Just... no mining colony disputes... that mission sucked.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-14-2010, 06:10 PM
Sorry, but I disagree here. The demo gets you started and lets you experience both ground and space combat, and they even get to play 1 story mission. When I played the tutorial the very first time, I loved it and purchased my LTS straight away. I don't really see what more there is to demo about the game. Sounds like people just want more free play time out of it.

If they like the demo they will buy the game. If they don't, adding more missions won't change their minds. I had a referral that said he wanted to try more than the demo before he was sure if he wanted to buy. I sent him a five day buddy pass and haven't heard from him since. 2 keys wasted.

Lt. Commander
# 7
05-20-2010, 08:12 AM
You have to download a couple of hours and after the first real mission it's all over. The download lasts longer than the demo. What are they thinking!? Cryptic, you can't be serious!
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-20-2010, 08:28 AM
/agreed The demo is definitely to short.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-20-2010, 08:34 AM
When i played STO the first time a still was REALLY exitet. The Tutorial was nice, the Azura mission was still intresting.... and after that the game startet to get repetetive and boring. After that it startet that one mission looked like the other.

So they dont want to let the Demo players see how boring that game is later and just show the part that appears intresting at first i guess.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-20-2010, 12:29 PM
/sign

the demo-version is to short, potential players need more time to download the game as they play!