Lt. Commander
Cogs

So what bugs you in life, the game or the forums. This is not about starting an argument just feel free to have a rant on anything.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-18-2010, 04:00 AM
........The hamburger patties at Wendy's....they're square....it's ridiculous.....I have to chew around the damn thing.....it insults my intelligence.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-18-2010, 04:52 AM
People who quote Family Guy, neither knowing or caring that it hasn't been humourous in years?

Nah, just messing with you. Or am I?

What bugs me is the ass-backwards levelling system. I spent the better part of a month getting from the Tutorial (unskippable? Really? Let us out of Outbreak, dammit!) to Commander. I then, playing for the same amount of time, spent the better part of two weeks getting from Commander to Captain, and the better part of four days getting from Captain to RA5. Shouldn't it be the other way around? To draw people in, don't have the largest hurdles and obstacles right at the very start.

Lack of content, too. I've only really played two MMOs from character creation to top level - this one, and CoH. Having played two thirds of the Cryptic MMOs out there hardly makes me an Online Gaming expert (although I'll kick your ass at JA) but...it took me a year to get from level one to level 50. Slower than most, I know, but I really enjoyed exploring this giant open city that had been created, savouring the landscapes and people around me. There was, when I played CoH, a lack of end content there, too - but it didn't matter so much. Here, some people go from Ensign to RA5 in under a month. There should be more content available, maybe not to make it a longer experience (although, c'mon - 10 a month, one month for a max level character? Thanks for the tenner, goodbye. Or 10 a month, and two months for a max level character? Double your money!) but to make it a richer experience. I can name, off the top of my head, at least three people I chat with in this game who say "Do the Explores up to Captain, you get better drops and more XP". Playing an MMO, at least to me, isn't about getting the most amount of XP per mission, it's about playing an enjoyable game with a rich storyline with friends. If there were more episodes, with more of a sense of Star Trek (and less Ground Combat), I know I'd enjoy the game more.

I'm sick of hearing people say "Oh, well, it isn't a WoW beater"; not just about this, but any MMO. You don't have to beat World Of ******** to be successful, you have to be good. Provide a rich experience, a sense of achievement for hitting the higher levels, and you're onto a winner.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-18-2010, 06:48 AM
Adult-whining. I deal with adults, all day, who whine more than my infant daughter. And that's just at work. lol. By the end of the day I am like, "Hey! The world doesn't exist to orbit around you. Get over yourself and suck it up a little!"
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-18-2010, 07:09 AM
In game: Ask me what doesn't. But on top of my list would be the Ferengi issue linked in my sig.
In job: People I haven't talked to in years noticing I'm now quite successful; come back with lines like 'Hey, long time, we should chat sometimes! I have some questions about that project, I'm working on something similar like that myself and thought you could give an old friend some advice!' Yeah thanks, friend, I barely remember who you are because you stopped coming around to chat about 2 years ago, when I was a nobody like you.
In life: Losing a brother to tabletop games. On a level where he drops his girlfriend, quits his job, and doesn't talk to any friends or family anymore because 'he forgot' to call back. For... 5 or 6 months.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-18-2010, 07:41 AM
These days, what really grinds my gears is everything. I'm in one of those funks that makes me cranky at anything that moves and does not move...
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-18-2010, 06:59 AM
People who make excusist remarks to defend their position in an argument insted of accepting there is something rotten in the state of (insert your favourite games manufacturer, government or other topical entity here).

Examples: "STO is an every changing MMO ... so that excuses it being broken." or "STO has a tiny dev team, you cannot expect a stable release of the game this early in its development"*

People who try to shout reasonable assesment and subsequent point of view or argument down with their unreasonable or inappropriate referrance to sales figures, subscription numbers, technological superiority (or difference) and such or respond to such reasonable point of view in a 'hit and run' cocky manner designed to cause trouble or made out of ignorance or to be petty and often based on assumption.

Examples: "WOW has a massive player base, so of course you'll see more people their than the often seemingly deserted STO","You obviously hate STO go back to playing EVE" or "I've been playing MMOs since before you where born you snot nosed little rag."**

People making such remarks often seem unreasonable, petty, intollerant or misinformed at best and are either deliberately trying to or inadvertantly manging to spoil good honest debate and or cause division where unity or at least a 'middle ground' could be found.

*I am not trying to put cryptic down here, just giving examples of what I mean. I like STO and want it to succeed.

**For referrence; Though I have played WOW with its entirely different world to STO, I have never played EVE. I have been playing computer / video games for some 25 + years - including many different types of game and some simple games I wrote myself many years ago!