Lt. Commander
# 1 DS9 Fleet Action
05-21-2010, 08:57 PM
This has to be the absolute WORST excuse for gameplay I've seen in this game to date. Every time you feel like you are FINALLY making progress, another fifty or so enemies spawn in on top of you and kill you. Eventually, if you stick with it long enough, you wind up respawning right in the middle of the group of enemies that just killed you - and if you aren't still on fire from your previous demise, there's a good chance there will be a nice plasma fire waiting for you to respawn right in the middle of it.

Come on, Cryptic - is THAT the kind of mission YOU guys enjoy playing?
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-21-2010, 08:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_Mayhem
Come on, Cryptic - is THAT the kind of mission YOU guys enjoy playing?
No silly it's being tested so the government can replace water boarding.

but really having wave after wave zerg fest is not good game play, they should ( in my opinion I have not played DS9 yet so I can't speak that well ) reduce the number of NPCs, and add in some bosses instead. that is ( in my opinion ) would make it better.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-21-2010, 10:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodi-emish
No silly it's being tested so the government can replace water boarding.

but really having wave after wave zerg fest is not good game play, they should ( in my opinion I have not played DS9 yet so I can't speak that well ) reduce the number of NPCs, and add in some bosses instead. that is ( in my opinion ) would make it better.
Zergfest can be fun: if the game has very strong tanking abilities available, a wide range of devastating AoE attacks for DPS classes, a very robust set of healing skills for the healers, and most importantly, an experienced and well-organized player base.

Unfortunately, tanks, DPS classes, and healers don't really have the right skills for that kind of thing in this game. More importantly, the nature of Star Trek attracted a lot of players who don't normally play MMORPGs (this is the part that Cryptic has trouble grasping), so the player base is not particularly experienced. Worse, the fact that fleets cannot instance a fleet action to themselves means that most people don't bother joining one, leading to a disorganized player base.

So not only are the class mechanics not up to snuff, but the players aren't either. Unfortunately, some of the fleet actions seem to be designed for highly organized raiding guilds from other games.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-21-2010, 09:00 PM
I agree but you know having played through dungeons on champions online i sorted expected this from cryptic.... Actually what disapointed was no giant fleet battle against the cardassians ship wise... or if there is one I've never experienced it
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-21-2010, 09:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dielaughing
I agree but you know having played through dungeons on champions online i sorted expected this from cryptic.... Actually what disapointed was no giant fleet battle against the cardassians ship wise... or if there is one I've never experienced it
I've heard that is is broken. the cardassian ship combat, but I can't remember where i saw that. so don't quote me.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-21-2010, 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodi-emish
I've heard that is is broken. the cardassian ship combat, but I can't remember where i saw that. so don't quote me.
that sucks I was really disapointed just appearing on a over run ds9.. Good to know though thanks
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-21-2010, 09:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dielaughing
that sucks I was really disapointed just appearing on a over run ds9.. Good to know though thanks
as I said i don't remember what thread it was I heard that in, ( and it was a while ago. ) so don't quote me on it, because I could be dead wrong.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-21-2010, 10:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_Mayhem
This has to be the absolute WORST excuse for gameplay I've seen in this game to date.
On the one hand, I understand your frustration. And commisserate with you.

On the other hand, I've actually been fortunate enough to beat this one. And can't ever seem to get through the Big Dig properly. So for me ... the worst fleet action isn't DS9.

Quote:
there's a good chance there will be a nice plasma fire waiting for you to respawn right in the middle of it.
/sigh

Good times. Yeah ... it wasn't pretty getting through DS9. Not pretty at all.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-21-2010, 10:43 PM
The constant respwns are not as much of an issue to me as the loadganking. I mean, I've never yet survived entering ops to fire even a single shot. I'm dead before my screen clears.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-21-2010, 11:28 PM
Luck is the keyword. I was lucky by finding a frustrated small group on their alts, trying to finish Breaking the Planet. When we realized we won't make it (2 tacs and 1 engineer without healing), we switched to our RA alts and tried DS9, hoping to find more players. It sure helped that my RA is a sci ground healer, but it was still close to impossible to stay alive as a team of 5 for a minute. I highly doubt we would have beaten it if the team leader hadn't played it before and gave very clear instrictions where to go and what to target. Reaching OPS was just a pain in the ass. I went in at least 20 times, spammed a group heal and died before the animation ended, including having Nanite Health Monitor on myself just to get anything done at all.

I don't mind challenges, I don't mind hard mobs. But I would also like to see some of the locations, and get a feelng I'm at DS9. The way that FA feels is... running through random hallways full of Cardassians and nothing else. For this, and other indoor fighting, a real cover system would already help a lot. Think a bar fight in Quark's, take cover behind some table or the bar, saloon style. Same in ops, or fight around the engine room generators. Most of the fights take place in open hallways, and wherever you go, its just more of the same - sight and action.