Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
Over at syfy wire, they posted a story, where Stan 'The Man' Lee gives his 2 cents on an African American playing the role of spider-man.

http://scifiwire.com/2010/06/stan-le...ican-ameri.php

Now IMO if they are going to reboot spider-man to begin with, I say why not redo the whole story. Look at it this way, we have the Ultimate Universe, so why not open the door to something like this. Heck we are already mad over the last movie, which wasn't that great, so maybe this will move the story back on track, but with a new look.

I resect everything Mr. Lee has to say on this topic, after all he help to pen the Spider-man, and it was part of his empire at one time.

So what do you guys think on this topic? Should there be an African-American cast as Spider-man for the next movie?
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-11-2010, 03:22 AM
I understand Lee's point, but don't agree, it is the costume that people are familier with, not the person under it.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-11-2010, 03:29 AM
I say cast him, then base the setting off of spiderman noir.
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-11-2010, 05:00 AM
Yes, but the new film's setting is in high school, so I don't see the Spiderman Noir coming into play.

BTW I agree they should have an open casting for the role, and don't limited to the standard we seen in the past.

Heck is they can have a Japanese Wolverine, then why not an African-American Spider-man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DsQT2tYSdk
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-11-2010, 05:16 AM
Hm, I'm not sure. On one hand, a African-American Nick Fury is plain awesome. On the other hand, I don't really see a highschool age Spider-Man as a character defined enough to leave all visual associations with previous versions behind. He's kinda the stereotypical 'white and nerdy' type, so yeah, the white is a part of the image. A Nick Fury is old/mature enough to rely only on his personality and attitude to stay the character, no matter how the actor looks. I think that is why it worked for me there. A young Spider-Man simply doesn't have that.
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-11-2010, 05:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArievDhien
Hm, I'm not sure. On one hand, a African-American Nick Fury is plain awesome.
Any role you stick Samuel L. Jackson in is going to be plain awesome. Heck, the man donned a Nazi SS officer uniform for a role in The Spirit. Let him play Spidey.
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-11-2010, 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Cedric View Post
Yes, but the new film's setting is in high school, so I don't see the Spiderman Noir coming into play.

BTW I agree they should have an open casting for the role, and don't limited to the standard we seen in the past.

Heck is they can have a Japanese Wolverine, then why not an African-American Spider-man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DsQT2tYSdk
Anime Wolverine versus ninjas and Anime Gozer? I am so there!
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-11-2010, 05:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Cedric View Post
Over at syfy wire, they posted a story, where Stan 'The Man' Lee gives his 2 cents on an African American playing the role of spider-man.

http://scifiwire.com/2010/06/stan-le...ican-ameri.php

Now IMO if they are going to reboot spider-man to begin with, I say why not redo the whole story. Look at it this way, we have the Ultimate Universe, so why not open the door to something like this. Heck we are already mad over the last movie, which wasn't that great, so maybe this will move the story back on track, but with a new look.

I resect everything Mr. Lee has to say on this topic, after all he help to pen the Spider-man, and it was part of his empire at one time.

So what do you guys think on this topic? Should there be an African-American cast as Spider-man for the next movie?
I would understand this this thread if it was in a SPIDERMAN Forum web site..But what is it doing here? Oh I forgot,this site is suppose to be about STO..Are you guys that bored? and who cares if spiderman is black or white...he should be a Klingon in my book..! That would be interesting !
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-11-2010, 05:56 AM
You know one can only talk STO so much, then you need other things to talk about. Seeing how there isn't an official general chat forums here, I post general topics in 10 Forward. After all it's a place to relax, so when one relaxs, you talk about anything and everyone on your mind.

Besides if it was an issue, the MODs would say so from day 1. But they don't and there you have it.

BTW a Klingon spaiderman wouldn't work, due the the fact of universal conflicts, plus the Disney and Paramount wouldn't agree to terms on the matter. lol
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-11-2010, 09:56 AM
If the movie is good and the actor is good, it'll work regardless of race. If not, it matters not and will suck regardless of actor and race.