Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
Both my hubby and I have lifetime on CO and STO. We're both much less likely to buy Lifetime, preorder, or anything else again because the exclusives we paid for (at least as far as Lifetime goes, preorders aren't really paying extra) are now on the CStore.

This is not an "I quit" thread. It's not a rage thread. It's not a "I hate Cryptic" thread. It's a "just going subscription and not buying into exclusive item hype next time" thread.

Yes, I know the playable Borg isn't up, but the CO Lifetime -> STO mirror universe exclusive is up.

Ultimately, we're not upset. We're just going to ignore any offers of exclusive items when making purchasing decisions around Cryptic or not. This is a pretty big blow considering we essentially paid a total of about $1200 collectively between the two of us.

He cares less than I do, I only care enough to now read "Exclusive" as "Paying $300 for Early Access For Something That costs $3 Just a Few Months Later"

That is to say that at least my husband and I don't suffer from the hyperbolic discounting fallacy that Cryptic's marketing team seems to be relying on at this point.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
06-15-2010, 02:39 PM
This whole situation just shows why buying a product FOR the exclusives rather than buying for the PRODUCT is never a good thing. I knew I was going to buy the game, so I just choose the package that came with the items I wanted. Now that they've released them, I havent lost anything because I was buying the game, not the items. I also bought a LT sub, and though they have not currently released the Borg character, even if they do I will not have lost anything because I will always have exactly what I paid for: the LT sub itself.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
06-15-2010, 02:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
This whole situation just shows why buying a product FOR the exclusives rather than buying for the PRODUCT is never a good thing. I knew I was going to buy the game, so I just choose the package that came with the items I wanted. Now that they've released them, I havent lost anything because I was buying the game, not the items. I also bought a LT sub, and though they have not currently released the Borg character, even if they do I will not have lost anything because I will always have exactly what I paid for: the LT sub itself.
That's more or less my attitude. It's just that when they put something on a sales pitch and call it "exclusive" when they're just going to sell it for literally 1% the price a few months later... It's more the principal of "can you rust them if their marketing team self redacts it's own propeganda?"
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
06-15-2010, 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallurgist
That's more or less my attitude. It's just that when they put something on a sales pitch and call it "exclusive" when they're just going to sell it for literally 1% the price a few months later... It's more the principal of "can you rust them if their marketing team self redacts it's own propeganda?"
You might not can trust them to keep the items exclusive, but you can certainly trust them to provide the game/sub you paid for. So when it comes to future Cryptic products I might be interested in, I obviously am not going to make any purchase decisions based on BONUS items, but I have no fear at all about buying the actual product itself.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
06-15-2010, 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
You might not can trust them to keep the items exclusive, but you can certainly trust them to provide the game/sub you paid for. So when it comes to future Cryptic products I might be interested in, I obviously am not going to make any purchase decisions based on BONUS items, but I have no fear at all about buying the actual product itself.
I'm on your side of the fence on this Nagus...thanks for helping me see the light.
That and these f'in doomsday threads are getting old, lol.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
06-15-2010, 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by s32ndDamian View Post
I'm on your side of the fence on this Nagus...thanks for helping me see the light.
That and these f'in doomsday threads are getting old, lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by s32ndDamian View Post
HOORAY for creating this epic fail of a thread.
Not gonna complain "too" loudly, just create this thread?!?!
HOORAY for pointing out the fact I was just trying to say you saved $$$ and yeah, that is actually worth something...more than the uniform in fact, rofl.
Enjoy your river of tears, like I pointed out I was kind of bent, but someone point ed out it's just pixels, not really worth crying over if you enjoy playing the game.
I can complain quite loudly and in a much less civil tone. I have done so in the past.

I'm not pronouncing doom. You must have a problem with reading comprehension. Either that or you must have a problem with being able to see things as anything other than black or white. I'm simply stating that the practical consequence of what's been added to the cstore is that Cryptic has lost credibility. It's not doomsday. It's not the end of the game. It's simply that Cryptic lost some credibility with my household today. This is a bad thing. It's mild as far as bad things go, but it's still bad.

However, if you think that any bad thing must automatically be "OMG! DOOMSDAY!" then might I suggest someone else's thread? I'm being very even tempered about this here and I don't appreciate you trying to goad me like that. I might also point out that goading is infraction worthy. I know about that one first hand. Believe me. Please try to be civil alright?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
06-15-2010, 03:22 PM
I for one don't mind, I can see why, and at the end of the day, the people using them still have to get the Cryptic points in the first place, costing money, it's not like they're free or anything.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
06-15-2010, 07:50 PM
Amazingly Cryptic didn't advertise these items as "exclusive until mid June when we will be offering them in the C-Store". Since apparently the fine print means that they 'could' do this... why didn't they explicitly say they were? Any guesses from the apologists?

Answer: because they wouldn't make a sale if they said they were going to be doing this.

So, given that if they advertised this action, they would have hurt themselves financially, how can people rationalize this action away as a-ok? The only intellectually honest rebuttal is that they should have just announced this originally and it wouldn't have any negative effects. I disagree with that and anything less is just excusing the behavior.

So, next game, make sure you replace 'exclusive' with '4 month early access at which time they will be available for a few dollars'. If you forget, don't worry, there will be plenty of discussion about it on the forums for the new game.

When you have to defend your position by going to extreme interpretation of words or fine print, you've already lost.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
06-16-2010, 05:22 AM
Did Cryptic also release the other CO perks that came with the purchase? Not counting the slots people had to pay for but the other perks in CO.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
06-16-2010, 05:32 AM
I look at it this way I have 2 LT acounts and what I saved from not buying the stuff I got on the C-Store is great.
The 2 copys I have are Game Stop saved me 800 points and Amazon saved me 480 points. I payed $300 for each LT account on top of buying the 2 copys of the game. I feel that I came out ahard on this.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:02 PM.