Lt. Commander
Hello Cryptic and ST:O community,

The past weekend I downloaded the ST:O trial from Steam and played it until it wouldn't let me continue, which was maybe two hours total playing time at best.
What I liked: graphics, sounds and music are great. The fact that I could customize my character and the bridge officers was also a lot of fun, this is where I spent most of the time. Space flight is nice, having control of the ship movements.
What I didn't like: the gameplay, which is the most important part of a game imho... isn't it?

Dialogs are simple, and there is never a possibility to choose. When I get an assignment to go somehwere, there's big arrows pointing to where I have to go and doors/terminals flash... press one key and presto, assignment done. Even my 10 y/o son would find this horribly boring and childish.
My character "died" once, and only because I purposely stood in the middle of a bunch of Orion thugs and did nothing. During the entire trial there was never a moment where I felt challenged. Not even a little bit.
Even though I'm no hardcore Trekkie, I was annoyed that the first encounter in the trial starred the Borg... I clearly remember they were one of the toughest opponents the Federation ever faced, but in the trial they drop dead as soon as you look at them (almost).
Loading screens... made my toes curl.
During the entire trial, I never had the notion I was in a multiplayer envirnoment. It all felt completely single-player.

To sum it up, playing the trial didn't even remotely make me want to spend money on the game.
I've played missions on the ground which involved shooting things and pressing a button. I've played space missions which involved shooting things and clicking dialog boxes. I've beamed in and out of space dock, reading dialog from several NPC's. I've even bought a bridge officer ("buy" a bridge officer??) and dressed him up all nice.

What can this game offer that is not in the trial, but could potentially make me want to open up my wallet?
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-28-2010, 07:35 AM
Somebody plz give the man a buddy key, i dont have any left.

for the challange, we had a lot of discussions that the game is to easy, cryptic's solution was to implement a Difficulty Slider, Default, Advanced and Elite. (it's still a little unballanced but it's getting there)

comparison Borg Cube on Default:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU5Nbcp-H6c

Borg Cube on Elite:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcN-0g_o5Gw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR5anXUHgoM

The Borg in the tutorial are dumbed down Versions and in the Special Task Forces (5 Man Coop Missions) it is explained why they were so weak.

your other issues... Loadingscreens, Text Boxes, Klickies on Ground etc.
yeah... that wont change any time soon.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-28-2010, 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristano_Pellinore

The past weekend I downloaded the ST:O trial from Steam and played it until it wouldn't let me continue, which was maybe two hours total playing time at best.
What I liked: graphics, sounds and music are great. The fact that I could customize my character and the bridge officers was also a lot of fun, this is where I spent most of the time. Space flight is nice, having control of the ship movements.
What I didn't like: the gameplay, which is the most important part of a game imho... isn't it?

Dialogs are simple, and there is never a possibility to choose. When I get an assignment to go somehwere, there's big arrows pointing to where I have to go and doors/terminals flash... press one key and presto, assignment done. Even my 10 y/o son would find this horribly boring and childish.
My character "died" once, and only because I purposely stood in the middle of a bunch of Orion thugs and did nothing. During the entire trial there was never a moment where I felt challenged. Not even a little bit.
Even though I'm no hardcore Trekkie, I was annoyed that the first encounter in the trial starred the Borg... I clearly remember they were one of the toughest opponents the Federation ever faced, but in the trial they drop dead as soon as you look at them (almost).
During the entire trial, I never had the notion I was in a multiplayer envirnoment. It all felt completely single-player.

To sum it up, playing the trial didn't even remotely make me want to spend money on the game.
I've played missions on the ground which involved shooting things and pressing a button. I've played space missions which involved shooting things and clicking dialog boxes. I've beamed in and out of space dock, reading dialog from several NPC's. I've even bought a bridge officer ("buy" a bridge officer??) and dressed him up all nice.

What can this game offer that is not in the trial, but could potentially make me want to open up my wallet?

doesn't sound like it's going to work out between the two of you. no hard feelings. move on man. if nothing grabbed your attention in the first 30 mins of game play, things probably wont get better. don't force it.

i do have all my buddy keys so if you insist shoot me a pm with your email addy and ill send you one. good luck!
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-29-2010, 01:05 PM
Yeah, I guess you're right. Thanks for the offer on the buddy card, but if the game is more of the same I saw in the trial then you'd best save those for other people.

Moving on.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-29-2010, 06:16 PM
the buddy key offers the exact same free trial, you wont be able to use it to carry on playing. And you wont see anything you have not already seen.
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-30-2010, 09:34 AM
I'll say what I always say in situations like this... It's unfortunate, but the beginning of STO is very lacking. The first 10 levels are not exciting. There are hints of the greatness to come, a few good story missions and a little bit of good space combat, but overall it is a hand-held walk in the theme-park that does not allow you to experience the great story-telling or class specialization you will experience down the line. The homogenized starter experience, which lasts entirely too long, can easily turn away people who I think would otherwise love the game.

STO has tons of fan service and some really great features coming in Season 2. If you are a fan of Star Trek then I say grab a buddy key and force yourself through the monotony of the first 10 levels. Once you get your first class ship and begin specializing in a meaningful way the game blossoms into a truly rewarding experience.

So hang in there, you won't be disappointed.
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-30-2010, 09:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvantos View Post
the buddy key offers the exact same free trial, you wont be able to use it to carry on playing. And you wont see anything you have not already seen.
I let a friend use one of my 10-Day Buddy Keys from the Collectors Edition and she got to Captain in that time. Refer-a-friend keys are different then the keys that came with your actually game.

Granted they could have changed everything and I could be completely wrong now.

*shrug*
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-30-2010, 01:59 PM
i still have the buddy key.. im looking for people worthy of it...
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-29-2010, 11:09 AM
Well I'm going to have to agree with Tristano for the most part. I'm a huge Star Trek fan, have been for about 2/3s of my life, and discovering this game made me have a happy moment. So I signed up for the Trial. This is where things started going down hill for me.

I've finished the trial in < 2hrs, and almost half that time was wandering around the star base, until I got bored finding vendors with cool gear I wasnt allowed to buy.

I agree with Tristano on the positives. Reminiscent of the Voyager games which I still enjoy replaying.

The overwhelming negative for me? The trial itself. I learned next to nothing about the game, I explored next to nothing within the game, I was in no way challenged or drawn in. Not because I didnt want to, but because the trial wouldnt let me. This is supposed to be an MMO, yet Ive had longer, more involved, more enjoyable demos on my C64 back in the distant past.

I've played other MMOs that provide an almost unrestricted trial, based on level/time. You get to experience the actual game, the aspects of an MMO that make it an MMO, the persistant world, interaction with other players, running instances/missions as a group, progression of your characters skills and equipment. The STO Trial provides none of this.

I'm horribly disappointed with this. I can only assume that there is more to this game than the trial reveals, but I'm unwilling to throw cash at this and run the risk of finding myself getting burned. I'm really not sure how exactly Cryptic expect to lure in potential punters based on this pitiful attempt to present their online world, but I'm not sold on it. Really should be addressed to be fair.

I'm out,
SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristano_Pellinore

Lt. Commander
# 10
07-29-2010, 01:43 PM
Yeah, the tutorial is lacking, but for the hand holding thing... Well that's why it's called a tutorial. Now granted STO is not a very complicated game, like Star Wars Galaxies was before the NGE (very hard to get into, as it had NO tutorial, it was learning by doing), but it's very helpfull for new players not used to MMO games...

Now what could have made it better?? Well one of the good things that that happened to SWG (yes that game again) with the NGE was the tutorial. Not very original, but you were rescued from an Imperial base by none other than Han Solo, and you escaped the station in The Millenium Falcon, and you could even run around in the Falcon,, And one part even had you in the gun turret, shooting down TIE Fighters.

That is what the tutorial in STO should have been like, except exchenga the Millenium Falcon with the Enterprise or Voyager. Places that players would recognise, and go from there...