Lt. Commander
Recently, GMDestra posted a list of ranks that were proposed for STO, which included Fleet Admiral.

Now, I myself would prefer Fleet admirals not to be simply another rank you get upon leveling up, and realistically, I wouldn't mind the rank capped out at Captain rather than extend into flag officers.

But there's no point crying over split milk, so here we are.

What should be done with Fleet Admiral?

I've had several thoughts, but this is intended as a general-idea thread, not self promotion.

----
My thoughts:
-Limit Fleet Admiral to characters who are leaders of fleets with an active member ship of over 5 people (to prevent vanity fleets.)
-Require certain number of missions completed of a single type
-Require Fleet Admirals to do a certain number of missions per week to keep the rank.

My other thought that I've had is perhaps it's time that Cryptic gave us access to a 'Command' class, which characters can switch over from their old class around Captain/RA, and it's only this class that can reach Fleet Admiral. Switching over means the character gets access to different abilities, but weakens their ability to use their old abilities (like a Tac officer wouldn't be able to train officers in High yield III, but gain access to a set of Command skills with their own Command powers of sorts). (non-switching players still get the 'grades', just not the rank.)

----

Either way, it looks like it's in the pipe as it were, so start suggesting!
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-29-2010, 10:55 PM
neither of these ideas would work imo.
they havent even got vice adm out and you want to just skip ahead?
1. limiting fleet adm to those that are fleet leaders would exclude lots of players. so you would have just a selection of player able to get 5 levels higher than the rest? seriously exclusive rank that would only be available to a few until it goes up for sale on the c-store like the rest of the exclusive items.
2. a command class? you are already in "command" this idea sounds worse than your first. command class that diminishes your old ablility sounds like this is a idea to put character out to pasture. does it come with a retirement party and a pension?

now lets just focus on the task at hand and not put the cart before the mule.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-29-2010, 11:08 PM
The rank of Fleet Admiral should not be a rank but a title earned through accolades.
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-29-2010, 11:32 PM
Well here is my position on this since they have mentioned the FA rank being added to the game down the road.

I don't think it should be easy to get the rank, but on the other hand I don't want it to be rediculously hard to get either.
Point is to just keep the difficulty in perspective and above all it should be fun and it should make people want to get in there and earn it, not drive them away.
Though some of that may be un-avoidable anyways, but non-the less there are ways to make people earn things without them having to give up their first born to get it so to speak.

Have a good day everyone.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-30-2010, 12:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by champion1701 View Post
The rank of Fleet Admiral should not be a rank but a title earned through accolades.
I think I like this idea most...
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-30-2010, 05:40 AM
still a bad idea. fleet adm should be earned the same way as any other rank. havent we seen enough exclusive or hard to get items in this game. go read the galaxy-x threads. why do you want to exclude some of the player base. does it make you feel good?
i understand you want to make the rank special but limiting it is not the way to do it.
but so that i dont sound like someone that is just posting against the idea i will offer a suggestion.
the accolade system we have now unlocks passive buffs. lets use the rank of fleet adm and the accolade system to grant additional skills to your player. they have mentioned the idea od "alt your Boff" let that be unlocked at the fleet adm level. im sure they will add a new tier of ship by the time fleet adm enters the game. perhaps we could use a ship of a lesser tier and one alt boff at this rank. the accolades you have unlocked will allow to to add points into a skill tree for your newly alt'ed boff.
point being that not everyone is in a fleet and not everyone plays the same but we all pay to play so we all should have the ability to reach the top level. from the post fleet adm would be 10 grades above the previous rank. that is a big step in combat and pvp. also the idea of just adding another 10 grades to the previous rank would mean that they wouldnt be able to use any gear or ships that a fleet adm would. seriously think about this.
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-29-2010, 11:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_Decatur
neither of these ideas would work imo.
they havent even got vice adm out and you want to just skip ahead?
1. limiting fleet adm to those that are fleet leaders would exclude lots of players. so you would have just a selection of player able to get 5 levels higher than the rest? seriously exclusive rank that would only be available to a few until it goes up for sale on the c-store like the rest of the exclusive items.
2. a command class? you are already in "command" this idea sounds worse than your first. command class that diminishes your old ablility sounds like this is a idea to put character out to pasture. does it come with a retirement party and a pension?

now lets just focus on the task at hand and not put the cart before the mule.
I made my concerns on the thread in question and the dev suggested that a threat like this might be useful.

1. Limiting the rank is the whole point; grades can be earned without needing to be increased in rank. For those who aren't Fleet Admirals, they'd be Vice Admirals, Grade 15.

2. Every captain from the series had to go specifically into a "command" division; in one alternate timeline, for example, Picard was shown as a science officer, and Janeway served as one in the normal timeline. Sisko was into engineering, etc. In my suggestion, a Command class would be something of a prestige class, but not something required.
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-30-2010, 10:15 AM
I still go with my suggestion made in a different thread:

Fleet Admiral (Veteran reward for players who are at Admiral rank and have been on for 500 days.)
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-30-2010, 10:51 AM
Fleet Admiral should be a separate tier from all other admirals. It shouldn't be earned thru the conventional skilling up alone.

I think it should be a very hard to earn, but very well worth it rank. It should only be achieved when all accolades have been completed [at least the ones up to the FA ones] and all missions [again, all up to the FA ones]. I think that on top of missions and accolades, you should need to increase by 20 grades rather than 5 or 10.

What i meant by seperate tier, is that RA-Admiral should be Tier 5, and Fleet Admiral should be Tier 6.

Tier 6 should also have access to Dreadnoughts. [just like the rank, NOT to be taken lightly as just a minor upgrade from 1 tier to the next] Iv heard complaints that dreadnoughts would unbalance the PvP world... not true. for starters, only pit Dreadnoughts with Dreadnoughts. another idea, do something like, 1v5 or something. 1 dreadnought vs so many non-dreadnoughts. [fill in the number blank, depending on the power of dreadnoughts compared to normal battleships]

Just to recap, FA should be a very special rank, one not just earned like all the others. Dreadnoughts should be special ships, not owned by anyone but FAs.

thnx cryptic! hope you consider our ideas.