Lt. Commander
# 1 Ship Bridges
07-05-2010, 04:25 AM
I run SCI/SCI, but I've been buying whatever other ships are available at my tier to try out and mess around with. Recently I acquired a new toy, a Defiant, and I gotta say I LOVE the bridge!

It got me thinking, and I went back and reviewed all the other bridges Captain tier and down as well as all the ones I bought from the C-Store, and I came to the conclusion that most of the ship bridges are way, way too big. It always bothered my to see LCARS copy.pasted.copy.pasted.copy.pasted all over these huge bridges in a clear effort to "fill up space". That wouldn't be necessary if the bridges were smaller and more in proportion to what we've seen on the screen. (I may be wrong)

I just hope that with the much talked about ship interior/bridge utilization expansion that we don't see the same thing, where something is created over-sized with the copy.paste thing to fill up the space. I'd much rather have accuracy/usefulness than a lot of "chunky nothing".

Just my two cents.
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-05-2010, 05:29 AM
The devs say they're really working on things to do in ship interiors, so I imagine LCARS will be more significant - certainly around things like Engineering minigames, etc. The Bridge is going to become more important for me when I start hosting on-board parties for my many, many friends*

*may not have as many friends as implied
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-05-2010, 04:12 PM
It's not that I don't like/want LCARS, as I do, it's that most bridges are way too big and whether it's LCARS or something else, it blows immersion to see it blatanly pasted in unnatural ways all over the place just to fill up space. Sometimes less is more.
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-05-2010, 09:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SojournerX
It's not that I don't like/want LCARS, as I do, it's that most bridges are way too big and whether it's LCARS or something else, it blows immersion to see it blatanly pasted in unnatural ways all over the place just to fill up space. Sometimes less is more.
And, the display in the rear of my bridge always shows the ship im not using...like an Akira on a Galaxy bridge and crap like that. But yes, multicoloured LCARS would be real nice.
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-05-2010, 11:40 PM
At some point, you should take some time to check out the Bird of Prey's bridge. It's awesome... and is the quality that should be present on all ship interior sets.
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-06-2010, 02:54 AM
I still wish they would fix the scale of the bridges, they are at least 30% larger than canon, and i have seen some that are upwards to 50% larger. I would like to see the canon bridges put into the game, ie:

The Galaxy class bridge from the series(The Classic is like Generations, w/ the lcars "wall" added and without the extra command chairs)

The Intrepid class bridge (The Delta and variants are similar to the Intrepid bridge but it is still way different)

The Nova class bridge ( The closest bridge to this one is the "Blase" bridge in the Prometheus pack, and that is because they were reuses of the same set during filming, the "Captain's" area is different and the conn/ops console is different)

The Sovereign class ( Some say that the RA lvl bridges are like the sovs bridge, i can say they are way off, just like the intrepid type)
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-06-2010, 07:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgomir View Post
And, the display in the rear of my bridge always shows the ship im not using...like an Akira on a Galaxy bridge and crap like that. But yes, multicoloured LCARS would be real nice.
If we are adding to a wish list here, and related to the quote, I would like to see two things related to bridges as well.

1. Allow a player to see the bridge prior to purchase by allowing "beam up to bridge" option in the design window/area.

2. List the appropriate ship bridge for the type of ship. For example, if the "Unity" is appropriate for the Defiant (which would show it on the wall when you enter, and is the reason the bridge you buy usually doesn't show YOUR ship), then list that so I know what I SHOULD be buying and not just picking at random.
(I know the Unity is probably not the right one for the Defiant, but it's the only one I could remember off the top of my head...)
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-06-2010, 08:18 PM
I want the stuff like the Galaxy's battle bridge as an option. BUILT TO SCALE, not turned into a planetarium like the current offerings! You know, some authentic classical bridges, like the TOS and TMP Connie bridges, the Ent-B's bridge, the Ent-D, the Galaxy-X bridge from All Good Things and hell, why not add the bridges from the Reliant and the Stargazer as well?

And a few TMP era bridges for the Klingons, like the K'tinga bridge from TMP and the BoP bridges throughout the Kirk-era movies.
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-10-2010, 10:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by japax
If we are adding to a wish list here, and related to the quote, I would like to see two things related to bridges as well.

1. Allow a player to see the bridge prior to purchase by allowing "beam up to bridge" option in the design window/area.

2. List the appropriate ship bridge for the type of ship. For example, if the "Unity" is appropriate for the Defiant (which would show it on the wall when you enter, and is the reason the bridge you buy usually doesn't show YOUR ship), then list that so I know what I SHOULD be buying and not just picking at random.
(I know the Unity is probably not the right one for the Defiant, but it's the only one I could remember off the top of my head...)
Spot on; I agree with both of these.