Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
For some time Cryptic has managed to stay away from putting any game-altering items in the C-store. Even with the few latest rounds of releases nothing "game breaking" has really been released. If we were Romans or, better yet, Trojans C-store releases would merely be "fluff".

I say that "if we were" line because regardless of being "fluff" or not, different emotes, ship skins, bridge officers, really anything in the C-store, DOES offer a more enriched and satisfying player experience. It's for this reason that I'm going to take the opinion that C-store items ARE game altering.

With that said, STO and any game offering micro transactions, really do become a game of rich vs. poor. Sure, it's easy to say this being on the unemployed end of the player spectrum, but even when I was making $65k/yr I was in love with the micro-transaction system used in Perfect World International and I honestly believe that a similar model would do well here.

Currently, the only way to gain C points is directly through the website for cash. My proposal would be to introduce an "energy credit for C-point" exchange into the game. This allows players to buy C points and sell leftovers, or even all of them, on the exchange for energy credits. Conversely, it allows people without the extra cash, a means of buying C-store items. 7-day sales, offering real content items that are traded incrimentally for, these features allow for profit to be made through this trading process as well.

I dunno, I just think the game enhancing nature of C-store purchases makes it worth looking into a system by which all can experience at least some of the enhancements.

For those wondering, no, this isn't whine. I have my Galaxy X, I have my T5 cruiser skins and some bridge packs, I still manage to get the "cool stuff". Please feel free to build upon or to take in a different direction, my idea about this.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
07-14-2010, 10:06 PM
I have ab idea take pride and just put their own work in there. ships like the galaxy-x, excelsior, and nebula were all designed by someone else, and they are part of star trek canon. but for some reason they are releasing it for profit, and they are making money off of someone else's work.

so here is an idea? Release the canon, and Iconic ships, and then modify those. release the excelsior to the game, and make a few re skins for it, and sale those on the C-store. you already do this for all of the other canon ships. why not these. Don't take a short cut, use that talent you have, and make something new for the old designs. Release something that is your own, and something that you can take pride in.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
07-15-2010, 06:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodi-emish
I have ab idea take pride and just put their own work in there. ships like the galaxy-x, excelsior, and nebula were all designed by someone else, and they are part of star trek canon. but for some reason they are releasing it for profit, and they are making money off of someone else's work.

so here is an idea? Release the canon, and Iconic ships, and then modify those. release the excelsior to the game, and make a few re skins for it, and sale those on the C-store. you already do this for all of the other canon ships. why not these. Don't take a short cut, use that talent you have, and make something new for the old designs. Release something that is your own, and something that you can take pride in.
Erm, I like Star Trek. I don't want to play Cryptic Trek.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
07-15-2010, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganWilliams
Erm, I like Star Trek. I don't want to play Cryptic Trek.
umm then you should support it because without the canon designs it is not star trek, it is cryptic trek. Give us canon ships and make it part of the STAR TREK game.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
07-15-2010, 04:45 PM
bra and panties uniform option (serious).

super-star destroyer.

wookies,race.

lightsabres.

BTTF hover boards.

just a few off the top of my head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deck_of_many_things
and we will be less the lifers for it (well less the non die hard Cryptic fan lifers) because I dont see anyone being happy about paying $300 for a game that moves to a free to play model



Then without several MAJOR rewrites, you are definately playing the wrong game.
i wouldnt mind, so long as i get my 250-300$ back in cash/c-store points. becasue i actually like this game *shock,horror*
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
07-15-2010, 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodi-emish
umm then you should support it because without the canon designs it is not star trek, it is cryptic trek. Give us canon ships and make it part of the STAR TREK game.
What he's saying is ... the entire concept of the game is based on someone else's work. Cryptic is making money off of someone else's work no matter what they do. So your point about not making money off of somenoe else's designs? Kind of hard when you're part of Starfleet. Or the Klingon Defense Force.

Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
07-15-2010, 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
What he's saying is ... the entire concept of the game is based on someone else's work. Cryptic is making money off of someone else's work no matter what they do. So your point about not making money off of somenoe else's designs? Kind of hard when you're part of Starfleet. Or the Klingon Defense Force.

oh well to what I mean is for the C-store make you own designs, and give the CANON part tot he fans.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
07-15-2010, 06:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
What he's saying is ... the entire concept of the game is based on someone else's work. Cryptic is making money off of someone else's work no matter what they do. So your point about not making money off of somenoe else's designs? Kind of hard when you're part of Starfleet. Or the Klingon Defense Force.

I assume that they actually make money off licensed bits in the game. Considering they have to pay a usage fee for some of those designs I wonder what is break even and whether they take a loss on some things and make it up elsewhere.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
07-14-2010, 10:11 PM
The only thing that could redeem the c-store in my eyes is a free-to-play game. Before STO i never gave that any thought because Lotro which i play never tried to get extra money from me for essential parts of the IP.
As an example, it´s not like you had to buy Hobbits as a playable race.

My opinion on this shifted a little now that even more iconic symbols (like uniforms for example) going to the c-store, namely the new ships. When the exclusives went there i was reliefed that at least they became available to everyone just loving Star Trek.

I also have to say that i´m not so sure that Cryptic is to blame here for those decisions, after all they´re owned by Atari, which does not seem to have a good reputation. I honestly believe that the devs are quite talented and it would be a shame if their reputation goes down because they´re pressured into this kind of behaviour.

Only time will tell what will happen, but the course this all is taking isn´t very appealing.

Thank for reading.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
07-15-2010, 06:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashur1
The only thing that could redeem the c-store in my eyes is a free-to-play game.
and we will be less the lifers for it (well less the non die hard Cryptic fan lifers) because I dont see anyone being happy about paying $300 for a game that moves to a free to play model

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganWilliams
Erm, I like Star Trek. I don't want to play Cryptic Trek.
Then without several MAJOR rewrites, you are definately playing the wrong game.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:07 PM.