Lt. Commander
I've just upgraded from a 8800GT to a GTX 460. I'd been playing STO since Beta with no issues of any kind while running with the 8800GT. I installed my GTX 460 today and now STO is constantly crashing.

I've changed settings, driver versions - I've tried everything I can think of and nothing works.

I've tested with other games, Batman, Fallout 3 and Crysis. They all working perfectly fine with no crashes and play very smoothly.

I am fairly sure that this is not an issues with the new card. Does anyone at Cryptic have any ideas what the issue could be? I know this is a new card from Nvidia so you may not have full support for this card yet.
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-16-2010, 04:03 PM
If crypticerror catches it, and gives you an error ID, then file a tech support ticket over here, quoting that ID: http://www.startrekonline.com/tickets

Somebody from tech support should be able to take a look at the crash dump you uploaded from crypticerror, and see where the problem is coming from.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-16-2010, 04:50 PM
If that were to happen I would, sadly it doesn't.

After more testing I've discovered that it is the game that is causing the graphics driver to crash. Sometimes Windows 7 is able to restart the driver and sometimes it can't with results in the game completely freezing and I have to force a close through task manager.
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-16-2010, 05:49 PM
I've had problems with both a Nvidia GTX 260, and a GTX 285.. I'm running a i7 CPU, and I've heard the same issue from other players... So your not alone... I've cut back on some of the vidio effects (bloom specificly) and it seems to help.. It still crashes on me usually after about 5 min of play, then I restart the computer and its stable after that... You would think that the game should have no issues at all with a current generation GPU witha 1 gig of vid ram to play with but sure 'nuff it does. This is the only game I have issues with. I also find it somewhat hard to belive that its a "defective video card" as I've been told by Cryptic tech support. ((BTW, one of the lazier answers I've ever gotten from a tech support desk... NOT impressed))

On the other hand NVidia's support desk say the issue IS game side.
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-17-2010, 02:24 AM
I am 99% sure the issue is game side. I've played Batman again and Fallout 3 for over and hour and they both ran so beautifully.
Once STO crashes it seems to have nasty side effects on the stability of Windows 7. I'd get sticky lock ups, other programes timeing out and also causing the OS to hang during shutdown.

I don't get any problems with any other games.

Cryptic, if you do happen to read this I have some advice. Once Season 2 comes out please, please, please do not work on any more content for the game until you can fix the underlying issues with in the game, also don't tell people that their cards are defective - STO is not an A listed game so WE all know there are a lot of bugs and issues with the game engine.
I really didn't pay 220 for a new card only to be faced with the option to have to take it out and put in my 8800GT to play STO again. I bought this new card to enhance my STO experience, as I don't play any other games right now.
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-17-2010, 05:22 AM
sigh... it isn't the game... all you have to do is go to DEVICE MANAGER on your COMPUTER... UNINSTALL the GeForce Card Drivers... remove the card and replace it and DOWNLOAD the correct drivers from NVIDIA.com and Update your DIRECT X...

i had a GEForce 6800 and upgraded to a GeForce 9800GT and i had no problems cause i did exactly as above. so dont blame the game and besides on my computer i'm using the STO i had installed since Closed Beta, never reinstalled it just update...
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-17-2010, 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomis128D View Post
STO is not an A listed game so WE all know there are a lot of bugs and issues with the game engine
I'm not sure what you think those two things have got to do with each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomis128D View Post
I speak from experience that it IS the game at fault. Why do I know this? Because I've thoroughly tested, and in a Sherlock Holmes manner, I've came to the final conclusion that the only issues I have with this new card lie with STO then STO must be the problem.
That doesn't really prove anything, if STO uses some directx feature that other games don't (and this is more likely than you'd think: a lot of newer games do weird things with shaders that no other game does). It could still be a driver bug.

The only way to really know is for Cryptic and nvidia to investigate the problem and find the specific cause.