Lt. Commander
# 1 Further Contests
03-25-2009, 12:31 PM
I've read all of your complaints and concerns and I'm responding through this thread. If the comments get out of hand - It will be closed. Please let's try to keep this civil.

Yes, I chose an entry that was longer than 300 words. Yes, I disregarded the rules of that contest. Actually - I completely forgot that there was a word limit because I felt that the entry was that good. It engaged my imagination and when I sent it to the team to judge, they also enjoyed it.

I apologize to this community for disregarding the rules and failing your expectations. I'm sorry to those of you who felt that you ought to have won and did not because of the 300 word limit.

In the future - all contests will be random lotteries so that this sort of thing does not happen again. I appreciate all of the hard work and creativity that you have put into the contests thus far and I hope that we may again some day be able to have activities that allow you all to be creative.

In the meantime, please accept my apologies and I look forward to providing you all with more game content.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-25-2009, 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awen
I apologize to this community for disregarding the rules and failing your expectations. I'm sorry to those of you who felt that you ought to have won and did not because of the 300 word limit.
We don't necessarily feel that we should have won, our point is if the word limit was 600 then everyone would have done a better job, or at 300 words the current winner's would not have been as good since there would be less creation space.

However the apology you have now given is accepted, thank you for that. Congrats to the winner.
Lt. Commander
# 3 I Don't Buy This
03-25-2009, 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awen
I've read all of your complaints and concerns and I'm responding through this thread. If the comments get out of hand - It will be closed. Please let's try to keep this civil.

Yes, I chose an entry that was longer than 300 words. Yes, I disregarded the rules of that contest. Actually - I completely forgot that there was a word limit because I felt that the entry was that good. It engaged my imagination and when I sent it to the team to judge, they also enjoyed it.

In the future - all contests will be random lotteries so that this sort of thing does not happen again. I appreciate all of the hard work and creativity that you have put into the contests thus far and I hope that we may again some day be able to have activities that allow you all to be creative.

In the meantime, please accept my apologies and I look forward to providing you all with more game content.
Too little too late. You fail at your job, in my view.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-25-2009, 12:39 PM
If it was just an honest mistake then it's all good. I wish there was something that could be done in order to reward someone who deserves recognition that DID follow the rules. Giving a second First Place prize seems to me to be a good "meeting halfway" solution.

I am more saddened that because of this you guys won't be taking a chance on another user-generated content contest in the future. It IS really cool, and it does bring people in (like myself) to the forums. Just gotta be careful with how you judge things.

I hope you guys can do another cool user-participation-oriented contest again. Lotteries are boring But I guess they're undeniably more objective.

Thanks for the apology. You guys do good work, so I hope you didn't take the criticism too personally.
Lt. Commander
# 5 Better.
03-25-2009, 12:40 PM
Thank you Awen.

Although the lottery thing does have the feel of pushing this issue back on the community.

At it's heart this issue issue is not a question of subjectivity. Respectfully- that may be what you're missing.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-25-2009, 12:43 PM
Let's be civil please....I stated this elsewhere, everyones human and makes mistakes. An apology and explanation was given and that should be enough. Neither side needs dump on one another, and let's not beat a dead horse

I don't think though that contests should resort to lotteries...just cutting creative opportunities for the community shouldn't be the answer and it could leave a sour taste for both sides. It was pointed out once that Cryptic was having growing pains, and surely they are very excited about contests and whatnot in lieu of the upcoming game. Things happen...let's not get bent out of shape.

But you guys shouldn't cut the contests either. Give the community a chance to show it's good side as well
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-25-2009, 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Wynn
Too little too late. You fail at your job, in my view.
Be nice. You can't prove you'd do better, so the discussion is pointless.

Awen:

With all due respect, I don't think this is a solution that will satisfy many people... I would be much less motivated to enter a contest involving creativity if I knew it would be a lottery. I just think future contests should be filtered for the rules before judging, really... Seems pretty simple. If it's random, people will simply complain there was no creative thought involved, and that they should have won because of that!

Of course, people will always complain on the internet, ESPECIALLY trekkies

I think you folks dropped the ball a bit on this one, but instead of making the contests random and therefore not very meaningful (you might as well just pick a random username at that point, forget the contest), why not just learn from this one and make the next one clearer?
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-25-2009, 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrWoof View Post
Seems pretty simple. If it's random, people will simply complain there was no creative thought involved, and that they should have won because of that!
lol "And the winner of these months alien ID contest was this entry": This alien is green and has horns. "Congratulations to him!!"
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-25-2009, 12:55 PM
Thank you Awen,

Thank you for admitting the oversight, the mistake and apologising.

Very gracious of you, my faith is restored.

Apology accepted.

The issue was not the winner, or even the quality of the winning entry, it simple the non abbidance by the rules we were all following. If you state rules they must apply to all in order to maintain fairness for all participating. Otherwise you get situations like we had today.

Instead of allowing this debacle to make you lose faith and go with random competitions in future, instead use it as a learning expeience in order to encourage you not to accidentally make the same mistake in future. you have always done exemplary before, tthis was simply a hiccup, don't allow it to become anything more.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-25-2009, 12:59 PM
Its good that they have opologized and admited that they made a mistake.

But please AWEN dnt let the other contests go to a LOTTERY to DECIDE the winner.
Closed Thread