Lt. Commander
# 1 Customizing Ship Interiors
07-27-2010, 01:39 PM
With the launch of Season 2, a long requested feature. starship interiors, will soon be added to the game. While it's still limited, I see a lot of potential here. One feature that I would like to see eventually implemented is customized layouts for your ship. The more I got to thinking about it, the more I realized that this could get quite complicated. So I set out to try and simplify and mockup what such a system might look like. Plus, shiny graphics make a proposal much more appealing. And here it is:

http://www.greendragoon.com/sto/sto-interior-editor.jpg

The Interface

This is basically an adaptation of the current layout selection window. On the right-hand side, you have the deck selection, the theme selection, a selection of corridor sections and rooms. On the left, you have the actual deck you'll be constructing.

The deck selection drop down selection menu allows you to switch which deck your editing, such as the crew deck or engineering deck. In the future, if Cryptic so chose, they could add additional decks. Below it is the theme selector so that you can choose which style your starship interior could have.

The list below includes all the different corridor sections and rooms that can be used. You'll notice that each item has a point value associated with it. These are starship points and are use to restrict how big you can make a deck. The bigger the section, the higher the starship points required to add it.

The Process

In the beginning, you start with a single turbolift. You can then select the door to the turbolift. This is your first connection point. You can then attach a new section to it, such as a corridor. The corridor will appear transparent until it's locked in. This corridor will have it's own set of doorways. The new section can be rotated, by changing which door it connects to. The new section will be a child of the first. Once you deselect the door, the new addition will lock in and become opaque. You can now add additional sections. Through this process, you'll eventually build a "tree" structure with the initial turbolift being the root. You can add additional turbolifts, but the first is the "primary" turbolift.

As you add sections, a collision check is done to see if the new additions collide with existing pieces. If it collides with something, it will glow red. If you deselect the doorway, any red sections will disappear. You can go back and change earlier sections you added, but any children of that section will change too. If any of those sections collide, they'll turn red.

Doorways which have been connected to something will show as green and, appear in-game as a corridor arch or a sliding door depending on whether it is joining two corridors or connection a room. Doorways which are not connected to anything will show red and appear as a locked door. While each section can only have one parent, it is possible to have corridors loop around and connect with another. When this happens, the doorway will turn gray. This represents a "soft" connection which cannot be directly edited.

The entire deck can be rotated so you can control which way it is oriented on the map. Rooms can also be added, however you're restricted to one of each type. You only get one Sickbay even though several may be available to choose from. There may also be restrictions on which deck a room is available on, i.e. Engineering must be on the engineering deck.

Each deck can have it's own theme, but only one consistent theme per deck. This works very similarly to the bridge selection.

Potential Problems

There are a few potential problems such as how crew could randomly roam the halls of a ship when the layout can change, or how potential future ship-board missions might work with this system.

There's nothing to prevent putting windows with rooms in the center of the deck. What happens if you run a corridor right past the windows in the observation lounge. I suppose one possibility is to extend the collision area for the lounge out from the windows so that any corridor run in front of the windows would "collide" with the it.

Currently, the interiors seem to toggle things on and off as you move through the ship to improve performance. (Did you ever wonder why there's a private hallway leading to your quarters?) A user-generated system would lack the transition points to make this work. Could the majority of players' graphics cards handle having the whole deck on at once, or is there another solution?

Given the complex layout and systems already in place of the bridges, I've kept the bridge separate from the layout customization. That said, if Cryptic could overcome the technical hurdles of integrating these two systems, I could see bridges being rolled together in the future.

Conclusion

So that's my idea in a nutshell. Hopefully I was able to get it across properly. Anyway, let me know what you think and feel free to offer suggestions.
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-27-2010, 01:47 PM
Whould be nice, i want this, too. But i whould be happy if we could change Colors of Ground and Walls and select Pictures and some Iteams.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-27-2010, 01:51 PM
wow... this is awesome. great job!

/signed
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-27-2010, 10:04 PM
Seems I forgot to explain the doorway color coding and how loops are handled, so I've added it in. Am I making any sense with this, or am I just speaking gibberish? I do that sometimes. :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendragoon View Post
Doorways which have been connected to something will show as green and, appear in-game as a corridor arch or a sliding door depending on whether it is joining two corridors or connection a room. Doorways which are not connected to anything will show red and appear as a locked door. While each section can only have one parent, it is possible to have corridors loop around and connect with another. When this happens, the doorway will turn gray. This represents a "soft" connection which cannot be directly edited.
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-29-2010, 07:29 AM
First, great job on the pic.

Second, I think this idea is perfect.

And this could also be used for the UGC as well.
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-29-2010, 08:02 AM
OH MY GAWD.

That's AWESOME - nicely done!

Now all we need is a choice of different interior styles for rooms/corridors (for example, Sovereign-style corridors, Intrepid-style ready rooms, etc.) - that'd be perfect.
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-03-2010, 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by greendragoon View Post
AWESOME!!! That would be GREAT!!!