Lt. Commander
Since Cryptic claims to listen to new ideas and is open to fashionable new MT Models I would like to offer a suggestion in that regard that might increase profits and player options.

Cryptic I would like you to make C-Bucks available for purchase with in game currencies. Whether it be EC, Merits, Badges, Emblems, Latinum, or a new game currency. Of course, you would have to be careful with the pricing to make sure it increases profits instead of undermining the current MT Revenue Stream. Don't make it so expensive that it is a option in name only, but don't make it so inexpensive that it undermines the current C-Store profits.

Maybe you guys could extend that ability to purchasing months of subscription directly from the C-Store. Make the C-Store the financial central hub of STO. I may be a general opponent of MT's, but if I cannot lobby them out of STO entirely, perhaps I can suggest these ideas as a compromise to make them taste better to me?
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-07-2010, 01:33 PM
so if what your saying is correct you want cryptic to sell monthly subs in the c-store but let you buy stuff in the c-store for free with in game currency? thus meaning you could play for free?

for some reason i doubt this is going to happen
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-07-2010, 01:58 PM
EVE Online allows you to pay for Subs with In Game Currency and it works very well. Some players simply have more time to earn in game currency than others. Just as some players have more in game money than time to play. Cryptic often claims to be about Options and appealing to a many demographics as they can so this seems a logical extension of their business model.

You don't buy things for free if you pay for them...
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-07-2010, 02:38 PM
If this suggestion was implemented, we would see a massive increase in grinding whatever currency was converted into C-Store points, resulting in massive decrease of income for Cryptic.

Sure... Certain people would still keep paying, but a great deal of players would not, so the game would come to a development hault because no money would go into the account.

I seriously do not understand why people keep comparing STO to EvE and WoW about everything, as I belive it should be obvious that it is neither.
The model from EvE would not even apply to this game as this game is not mature or developed enough to even consider holding people with ingame currency of any kind. People would just get bored grinding.

In a year or two a simplified model might be possible, wherer you could earn up to a certain limit, but in any permanent replacement for paying the supscription will, and should never happen.
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-08-2010, 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkOrion69 View Post
EVE Online allows you to pay for Subs with In Game Currency and it works very well.
It may work well for EVE, but STO is run by Cryptic which is strait up cold-hearted and money hungry. A business only a Ferengi could truly love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
If this suggestion was implemented, we would see a massive increase in grinding whatever currency was converted into C-Store points, resulting in massive decrease of income for Cryptic.
In which case it would bee like the Emblems. you can only grind 12 Emblems a day. At 500 emblems for a Tier 5.5 ship, this would take 42 days to acheive, that is if you dont miss a day or any mission. Or you could just but the item in the C-store (which is what they really want you to do).

I imagine Cryptic will make the amount of "whatevers" so outragious that no one, and I mean NO ONE, will be able to achieve the goal. 10 Million bars of GPL for 100 CP or 2000 Emblems for 100 CP.

Either way, it would be a farce, and would only exist for legal reasons so Cryptic can say "We offered the same opportunity in-game (Just at a totally inflated and unachievable rate)."
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-08-2010, 10:34 AM
This is a VERY bad idea, cryptic points would cost an unrealistic outrageous price with in game currency, then the c-store would be exploited even more by cryptic with everything ending up in it. End result would be players buying 'i win' features with real currency and all the hard core players losing interest and quiting.

Anything that gives cryptic more excuses to exploit c-store even more is a bad idea, they might as well go free to play so we can find a truly subscription based game to play.
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-26-2010, 05:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DES_SNIPER View Post

In which case it would bee like the Emblems. you can only grind 12 Emblems a day. At 500 emblems for a Tier 5.5 ship, this would take 42 days to acheive, that is if you dont miss a day or any mission. Or you could just but the item in the C-store (which is what they really want you to do).
OR you could just take the free ship they give you at VA1.
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-07-2010, 02:53 PM
Quote:
EVE Online allows you to pay for Subs with In Game Currency and it works very well. Some players simply have more time to earn in game currency than others.
To the best of my knowledge this is actually NOT done in EVE. What is done (unless I've been misled) is controlled trading of Game Time Cards in game. Essentially a player buys a Time Card and sells it to another player for in-game money. That time is still bought with real world currency, it is just bought by another player.

Basically it's a little like Gold Selling with supervision and limitations.

Since Energy Credits are all but worthless in this game, since it lacks much in the way of effective money-sinks, you aren't likely to find anyone who is going to want to buy Time Cards for you to purchase with your ECs...
Lt. Commander
# 9
08-12-2010, 07:17 AM
Quote:
EVE Online allows you to pay for Subs with In Game Currency and it works very well. Some players simply have more time to earn in game currency than others. Just as some players have more in game money than time to play. Cryptic often claims to be about Options and appealing to a many demographics as they can so this seems a logical extension of their business model.

You don't buy things for free if you pay for them...

STO doesn't have enough money sinks to make this a good idea.
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-12-2010, 03:03 PM
Yeah, the idea might need some time to germinate before people admit the MT Focus of STO and get onboard with MMO 2.0 and the prevalence of multiple options to Pay for Content.