Lt. Commander
Too predictable, and no mystery. Enter a system, and your Bridge Officers relay your orders. They tell you that there "may be enemy ships in the area", and sure enough, as soon as you close the dialogue window, there's an enemy ship staring you right in the face.

Additionally, when you are preparing for an away mission, you know if it's a combat one or not based on one of two criteria. First, you can only select one Bridge Officer to bring with your Captain. This gives away the fact that it's a simple "scan the artifacts" mission with no combat, or whatnot. Second, your Bridge Officer will actually tell you that "there are enemies on the surface".

Now, I know it's not very constructive to simply point out the game's faults without providing some suggestions, so here they are.

1) Change some of the "scan and depart system" missions to include combat, but not all of them. Or, better yet, make it randomized. Every time you send an away team to a planet, you can bring a full away team, regardless of whether or not there's any combat.

2) Reduce the degree at which your Bridge Officers give you the entire mission's story on a silver platter. You never know, there could be Klingons on the planet's surface and your Bridge Officers wouldn't even have a hint that they're down there.

3) Everything's a little too... convenient. A strong ship arrives? No problem. Starfleet happens to have ten ships nearby that they can send to assist you. Please, no. Give us a way to defeat a strong opponent, such as an Undine ship, that involves thinking (suh as igniting a nebula or using an asteroid belt for cover), and not just floating there with ten NPC-controlled Starfleet vessels, pounding the enemy ship into oblivion.

Of course, I'm not suggesting that this should take priority over fixing all of the bugs. One thing at a time. Still, it's something to think about in the future. Maybe Season 3 or 4? Well, the choice is ultimately up to Cryptic as to whether or not they like my suggestions.

At any rate, thanks for taking the time to read my post, and if you've bothered to read this far, then kudos to you. Comments? Arguments? Suggestions? Additions? I'd love to hear them!
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-08-2010, 08:33 PM
There are plenty of missions you bring your entire away team on and it's nothing but scanning, I do them all the time, especially in btran cluster. In many cases you don't know if it's a combat mission until you go into the second room.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-08-2010, 08:48 PM
If I get a message from my Science Officer telling me that there's a strange lifeform on the planet, I send an away team to the surface. I know that on these "scan biological plant-like lifeform" missions, an enemy ship will drop out of warp near the planet, and send an army of ground troops to the planet, because they're "not interested in the lifeforms", just my away team.

Also, whenever I'm dealing with a crashed probe or anything of Federation technology, you can bet there'll be enemies around.

The format of storyline missions is also a little predictable. I mean, the whole thing where you have a space battle, then an away mission, then another space battle. Couldn't they vary it up a little? Maybe just a space mission, or even two away missions, or a space and an away mission, or two separate space battles without an away mission. The list goes on and on. There's no reason to make every storyline mission generally the same.
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-08-2010, 09:00 PM
I agree, throw some randomness into the game. - OOP
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-08-2010, 11:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanehouse View Post
Too predictable, and no mystery.
They said the exact same thing about Pong.

And Space Invaders.
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-08-2010, 11:35 PM
Pong and Space Invaders are from an era when video games couldn't do much more. You also didn't have a monthly fee for Pong or Space Invaders.
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-09-2010, 05:25 AM
There are some missions that START out innocently enough... you run around, scan 2 or 3 things, then suddenly Klinks/Roms teleport in without any notice. There are also those missions where you take an entire away team and just scan a few rocks and leave.
*shrug
I won't totally agree with the word "randomness" to the missions... but more so, I would much rather say there should be more "variety" in the missions.
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-10-2010, 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanehouse View Post
Pong and Space Invaders are from an era when video games couldn't do much more. You also didn't have a monthly fee for Pong or Space Invaders.
Instead you had a per-game fee.

Lt. Commander
# 9
08-10-2010, 09:27 PM
Well, it is known that there is stuff in the works. That the devs are working on a tool so we can make our own missions for submission into the game. Oh...how many missions will be rejected. Any way, the opportunity is there at that point to spice things up.

I personally would like some RPGesk missions...may be with a branching plot line...something interesting.
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-11-2010, 07:19 AM
Doesn't seem any more boring to me than WoW was. In fact I think WoW was more boring for many reasons. Get a quest, spend an hour running to the area, spend another half hour trying to find the thing you are looking for because the information was wrong or not detailed enough so you realize you are in the wrong area, finally find thing you are looking for, fight mindless enemies using same formula over and over again, get to boss/objective fight it for 5 minutes, kill, get item, turn in quest. Wash, rinse, repeat.