Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 Tier 5 Constitution -- ??
08-08-2010, 09:20 PM
Hello all -

I wanted to wack this drum once more, If not to just test the waters.

Firstly, let me say THANK YOU to Cryptic, for giving us the power to upgrade T4 ships to T5! That is totally awesome, and has made just about every one of us super-excited. Thank you x 5000000!!!

I am also really hoping to see my favorite ship models, especially the Contitution, usable in endgame; that would be the ultimate dream come true. (an I.S.S. prefix wouldn't be so bad either.....

Anywho, thoughts ---

GO
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
08-08-2010, 11:03 PM
I agree with you that ships that you fly earlier inthe game should avable later inthe game,
It would be easy they are like paper dolls you can add what ever you wnat to them right.
why not make the ships where all ranks can use them , as you rank up your ship will come along with you.
this way i see it if your tac officer your ship would tactical ship if you choose a cruiser it would be tactical cruiser and would be bale to grow with you as you rank up
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
08-09-2010, 12:13 AM
I'd love to see the Constitution refit as a Tier 5 refit class.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4 Yeeees
08-09-2010, 12:32 AM
I would love to fly around with my constitution class ship and just whoop @$$....the constitution has to be without a doubt my favorite ship (alongside the sovereign). We will have to wait and see I guess....
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
08-09-2010, 03:30 AM
Yeah, I would also like to refit the WW1 Renault FT17 tank from the museum with modern electronics and send it to Iraq. Somehow I can not imagie how long it would last...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
08-10-2010, 07:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1ller View Post
Yeah, I would also like to refit the WW1 Renault FT17 tank from the museum with modern electronics and send it to Iraq. Somehow I can not imagie how long it would last...
Irrelevant. We're not talking about reality. We're talking about a game based on a space fantasy series called 'Star Trek'. As we have already seen in STO (Pakled starship captains), virtually anything goes.

And I say bring on them T5 Connies.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
08-09-2010, 07:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan.Skon View Post
I'd love to see the Constitution refit as a Tier 5 refit class.


I'd like to see that too, and see all the people it would totally **** off. Having a Connie as a T5 ship seems to make some of the players angry just thinking about it. There are other posts talking about the possibility.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
08-09-2010, 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adml_shake View Post
I'd like to see that too, and see all the people it would totally **** off. Having a Connie as a T5 ship seems to make some of the players angry just thinking about it. There are other posts talking about the possibility.
Not sure why they get so angry - I think they're just missing some imagination. We are talking about fantasy here, and using technical reasons why similar refits may be implausible is simply adding boundaries when you don't need them. The Nova-class is supposed to be cutting edge, but is grouped with a 150 year old ship. The Akira-class is grouped with a Dadalus refit, which was a ship from virtually the post-Enterprise era. I'd like to think that a "maxed-out" Constitution can match the Intrepid-class.....

But hey, I can always just hack Star Trek Legacy....
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
08-09-2010, 11:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISS Voyager
Not sure why they get so angry - I think they're just missing some imagination. We are talking about fantasy here, and using technical reasons why similar refits may be implausible is simply adding boundaries when you don't need them. The Nova-class is supposed to be cutting edge, but is grouped with a 150 year old ship. The Akira-class is grouped with a Dadalus refit, which was a ship from virtually the post-Enterprise era. I'd like to think that a "maxed-out" Constitution can match the Intrepid-class.....

But hey, I can always just hack Star Trek Legacy....
Well if you want a fantasy, you should go play a fantasy game. Where in the words science fiction is the fantasy? Most people playing these games are tech people inclining to either science (me) or fiction. I really do not see logical reason to refit 100 or 150 old ships. For the price of the refit, you can build a brand new ship. Take a look at my post about that tank. Or imagine someone fitting a guided missiles to a WW1 biplane. Sure, it may work, but who would fly such a suicide machine?
Good you mentioned Legacy (one of the worst Trek games ever, but nevermind). Here you can keep NX class till TNG era, sure. But the ship is then destroyed by a single hit from the emeny.
Commander
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 278
# 10
02-19-2013, 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archived Post View Post
I'd like to think that a "maxed-out" Constitution can match the Intrepid-class.....
Well, in the Star Trek universe I'm not sure ship design counts for a whole lot to begin with; the main differences are the size allowing for more crew. Other than that some ships have more specialised designs with mission pods, or a special stream-lined shape for quantum slipstream and so-on.

Otherwise the hull of the ship is really just there to hold all the important pieces, namely the warp-core, engines, power systems, shields and deflector, which I think an enterprising fleet could absolutely fit into an older ship if they were willing. It wouldn't be an easy job by any means, but there should be enough space to fit everything you need into a constitution class; it's not like we're talking about hooking up 25th century warp cores to 23rd century power systems, but a fully refit of all systems onto what is essentially just a shell for holding it all.


Really the only area to worry about is whether the captain of said refit ship is foolish enough to adopt older uniforms that leave the female crew members struggling to battle-stations in tiny mini-skirts, or the men for that matter if a few episode of TNG are anything to go by?


My main concern with adding more earlier ships into tier V is that it's already a really busy space. It might be nice if some classes of ship were rolled together as equivalent for the sake of simplicity, and simply allow us to choose a basic design for the ship from which we then select individual parts. Otherwise new tier V ships need to have some kind of nich? designed for them which is what leads to a lot of balance issues between ships.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:07 PM.