Lt. Commander
# 1 Ask Cryptic: August 9, 2010
08-09-2010, 01:05 PM
Welcome to the latest installment of Ask Cryptic, where we put your questions to the devs. This edition Star Trek Online's Executive Producer, Dan Stahl, answers questions about UGC, Bridge Officer VO, and the future of Star Trek Online.

Read more here!

Thanks,

Stormshade
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-09-2010, 01:19 PM
Awesome, my question was answered. Great to know my old officers could potentially be upgraded.

Lots of questions this time around, and answers to boot. I enjoyed reading it.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-09-2010, 01:22 PM
Sounds like some great changes are coming, I can't wait!
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-09-2010, 01:29 PM
My thanks to dstahl for answering some of my questions. =)

Admittedly, still curious as to the others I asked, but can't have everything all at once.
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-10-2010, 10:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonaos View Post
Awesome, my question was answered. Great to know my old officers could potentially be upgraded.

Lots of questions this time around, and answers to boot. I enjoyed reading it.
I have to say that with the change in leadership and this Q&A rolling out ... a lot more questions are being answered that we want to hear.

For instance. ... nice to know the schedule for Klingon ship designs and their place in the overall flow of creation.
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-10-2010, 11:15 AM
Cryptic,

Reading through all the posts on this forum thread, I have quoted all the questions I have, that other players have asked. I would be very happy, if you could answer these in your next Q&A...or even here on this thread. Hoping they get answered soon, here they are:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okele View Post
I have a suggestion about sector space. Oddly enough, I would like to feel like I am in the show. I want to tell my helmsman to plot a course for vulcan, and then he does it. For instance:

You bring up the map, decide where you want to go and click it. The system would then give you the option to view the travel from normal view(as we see it now), and we travel and just watch. This would have the same functionality as it does now, except that it feels more like being the captain. And the only way to change course is to bring up the map again. I don't mind not having control of the ship for sector space, as long as I can play in my inventory.

As far as the sector defense stuff, you could still get hit by one and get sucked into it.

The second option would be to give us the option to goto the bridge while we travel, have a terminal accessible, or an NPC like your science officer accessible to ask question regarding the system we're traveling to. Just some random thoughts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBuck
Great Q&A on this round! Glad to see you're adopting a "release only when ready" attitude towards new features. Looking forward to the planned overhauls and testing them on Tribble.

Other suggestions:
  • I'd still like to see First Officers implemented at some point.
  • The saucer "pet" needs to have more direct controls, at least like BOs do. It also needs "Antimatter Spread".
  • Since we have Saucer Sep now the Prometheus Class needs Multi-Vector Assault Mode.
  • Overall I'd like to see ship types with inherent powers that aren't available to other classes.
  • The Feds need a ship line that has Universal BOs like the Klingons have. Maybe not every slot. Perhaps just one.
  • More Tac Ensign powers.
  • Instead of a flat 20k Merit Retraining Fee, it should be based on how many skills you want to retrain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by picardalpha2clearance View Post
Q: When will we see an Android Federation Captain and bridge officers?

Q: What is Cryptic's plan to make ship interiors utilized for in game functions,
such as commanding from your bridge option, or combat from your bridge option?
(IE bridge commander/final unity style)
When will we be able to interact with bridge consoles ( to set course or go to red alert, fire weapons)?

Q: When will we have a bridge officer to tool to assign bridge officers and NPC thoughout our ship and assign them titles and functions? (IE working a panel or bridge station or guard duty, walking halls, lounge)

When will we be able to see all bridge officers on our bridge?

When will we be able to customize our NPCs with a ship uniform by class?

Q: When will we see a box to assign titles to our bridge officers or NPCs ( First officer, Chief Medical Officer, Chief Engineer, Transporter Chief, Security Chief, and other where you may enter a title) ?

Q: With the new exchange type bridge officer will it have all BOs, with a tab for commissioned officers and one for non commissioned BOs, so that we may get some of the rarer BOs commission able?

Q: When will all uniforms options we have unlocked be able to be used with each other for full customization as claimed? (IE MU COM badge on another TNG uniform if the Captain has all of these unlocked on their account?

Q: When will we be able to have an expanded crew? (IE commissioned crew roster with 30 names to have a real interior crew)

Q: Where is my observation lounge on my ship interior? (the diplomatic mission on Bajor was great!)

Q: When will see and hear Brent Spiner in game?

Good Job on the ship interiors, it felt like Star Trek for the first time when I could walk my ship.
Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorby
Q: Armsman: How is the work on re-tooling the 'ship interior' mini-games?

A: We really enjoyed working on developing the scanner mini-game and Dabo and want to incorporate more designs like these into our missions and gameplay. Multiplayer Poker is still in the works to be added to the player ship interior lounges. We are also working on the concepts for a “Tricorder” type of mini-game that could be used in missions for multiple functions. So we expect to see more mini-games work their way to the game over time.
---------------------------------

You missed the question as I see it, more specifically, when can we see the INJURY mini-game in our Ship Interiors??

Ship Interior mini-games was the question. I find it annoying to fly all the way back to Starbase to heal injuries when I have a Sickbay. I recall seeing people vote for more Function as a priority in ship interiors, currently there are trophies, and nothing else.
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-10-2010, 11:29 AM
While STO isn't yet in a condition that I'd refer to as 'Perfect', one thing I really do like is the direction it's going in, and the Developers' interaction with the community. It's pretty clear that the dev team are committed to improving the experience and listening to what the community has to say.

I'm really looking forward to some of the things mentioned in this month's Q&A. The crew reform will be amazing, hope to see that soonish. I've always been disappointed in sector space too, as it manages to feel nothing like either warp or stellar cartography. Personally I'd like to see sector space from the bridge, have starlines streaking past and be able to wander around my bridge while I wait for arrival. That would feel more Star Trek.

Thanks for keeping us apprised, Mr. Stahl!
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-10-2010, 12:07 PM
Cryptic,

A few more ideas I have, would be:

1) Creating the 3D chess game, seen in TNG, as a mini-game.
this website might help in design:
http://www.dimensionalized.com/game/rules4_3d_chess/

2) Can we have at least one city to explore on away missions? - I would like to see more random civilians in away missions, even crowded streets, say in a market, where you have to run away..or catch someone. Even having to run up several flights of stairs in an apartment building, or roof top adventures.

3) The ability to use shuttle craft in mini-missions, or even full missions. It would be great to eventually be able to fly though the atmosphere of planet with the shuttle, fight in space or the planet's atmosphere against other shuttle craft or ships, or even more short term...learning how to fly a shuttle craft...like seen in STV, where Paris had to take a retrain.

4) Have minor race factions - This is probably more long term, but it would be great to play minor race factions such as the Ferengi Alliance, where they have their own classic Ferengi ships and clothing nothing sophisticated...as the emphasis would be mini or full missions of gaining profit. Once the character had advanced to Captain, or the equivalent in the Alliance through trade and commerce, then there would be the opportunity to join Star Fleet.

The minor races would never really create a thread to the large factions, just offer a different play style and focus for STO players, and allowing a more micro level galaxy focus, rather then the macro level of the large factions.
Lt. Commander
# 9 Two words
08-10-2010, 12:41 PM
Seriously, two words for you guys.

Iconic, Characters.

Data, would still technically, be alive, and the Enterprise E, the flagship. not a think have we heard about her. Its nice to have Leonard Nimoy doing VO work, and Zachary Quinto, as well, but lets have a cameo of Admiral Riker, or when we go to Vulcan, be greeted by ambassador Picard. Maybe even have it only be for higher level characters even. Have ambassador Picard, or Admiral Riker greet you and say congrats. Same with Captain Data. Patrick Stewart, Johnathan Frakes Et. Al. loved doing TNG, and I am sure would be happy to provide voice talents.

I dunno. I understand that they would be older in the game timeline, and therefore harder to fit in, buuut as we all know, Time Travel is quite the convenient plot device for the Trek universe....

just my $.02.
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-10-2010, 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennau116 View Post
Seriously, two words for you guys.

Iconic, Characters.

Data, would still technically, be alive, and the Enterprise E, the flagship. not a think have we heard about her. Its nice to have Leonard Nimoy doing VO work, and Zachary Quinto, as well, but lets have a cameo of Admiral Riker, or when we go to Vulcan, be greeted by ambassador Picard. Maybe even have it only be for higher level characters even. Have ambassador Picard, or Admiral Riker greet you and say congrats. Same with Captain Data. Patrick Stewart, Johnathan Frakes Et. Al. loved doing TNG, and I am sure would be happy to provide voice talents.

I dunno. I understand that they would be older in the game timeline, and therefore harder to fit in, buuut as we all know, Time Travel is quite the convenient plot device for the Trek universe....

just my $.02.
After what happened in SWG when they added iconic characters to the story lines I never want to see it happen in an MMO again.