Lt. Commander
# 1 New MMORPG Dev Blog
04-03-2009, 11:49 AM
We've just posted a new blog at MMORPG.com. This time Kestrel - Christine Thompson, talks about writing for the Star Trek Online experience.* Go check out what she has to say!

Link to the news article.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-03-2009, 11:59 AM
Cool stuff thanks.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-03-2009, 12:14 PM
This is very cool, and I think your general philosophy is right on.

Christine, out of curiosity - although you indicated your degree is in medieval literature, did you (or anyone on your team) study political science or international affairs at any point, or is it perhaps a subject of personal interest?
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-03-2009, 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinC-UFPForces-Cardassia View Post
This is very cool, and I think your general philosophy is right on.

Christine, out of curiosity - although you indicated your degree is in medieval literature, did you (or anyone on your team) study political science or international affairs at any point, or is it perhaps a subject of personal interest?
13 years as a journalist made me a bit of a political junkie, and I've always had an interest in history.

Much of my time in newspapers was spent as an editor focused on national and international news. You pick up a lot when you're trying to put current events in context with what's happened previously.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-03-2009, 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
13 years as a journalist made me a bit of a political junkie, and I've always had an interest in history.

Much of my time in newspapers was spent as an editor focused on national and international news. You pick up a lot when you're trying to put current events in context with what's happened previously.
Yeah, that would explain it. My degree is in political science.

You should know that your work, in terms of the politics and statecraft of the story, is absolutely top-notch. It's as good as anything I've read, and the depth and structure of your writing makes the powers which you describe utterly real. For me, it's the highlight of the project so far.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-03-2009, 02:06 PM
I'm not the biggest fan of scripted missions, I have to say, but I'll be playing them in STO and Christine sounds like someone who knows what she's doing. I'm impressed.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-04-2009, 02:07 AM
The quotes are not from this forum but from the blog

Quote:
One of the big differences is characterization. Star Trek, at its heart, is its characters. Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Picard, Data, Sisko, Quark, Dax, Worf, Janeway they're iconic. And what makes so many of the episodes great is not the basic plot, but how these great characters respond to a particular situation.
I absolutely agree with that, great!

Quote:
Also, we have to be very careful not to limit the player's choices when it comes to creating his or her character, ship and crew. Our Bridge Crew is a prime example of that. A lot of information in the Episodes comes from your Bridge Crew. Just like in an episode of one of the shows, it is your crew that informs you of a situation, provides more information, or offers options for action.
That sounds like a tough challenge. Though I think you're doing well with it. The things you have written sound well organized and thoughtfull. I'm really looking forward to playing "my" first missions to see if they fit my imaginations of the Star Trek universe.
The way I read these things makes me think that missions are going to be like small episodes from Star Trek, which I think is the best way of doing it. For the feeling of being a main character in one of these episodes I could even take some limitations in my actions or choices, if they are not to harsh.

So, all in all I have to say: great job, great piece of reading, thanks a lot!
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-04-2009, 04:51 AM
Wow great read. Kestrel I think you have a hard job.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-05-2009, 09:56 AM
Quote:

To some of us the word "journalist/editor" for a newspaper isn't impressive (because of the industry standards). However, I can look past that...

I am flexible with the limitation for dialog, as long as the dialog is engaging. More important is the over all story line.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-06-2009, 08:15 AM
Breech, the only way we're going to have crews that detailed and not feel shackled by a small selection of "premade" crewmen is for multiplayer ships to be part of the game. Only a roleplayer can do an original character real justice along those lines.

I'm certain players will want to create crewmen with skills, appearances and even backstories that suit their own creative and tactical instincts without being limited by a small pallet of options. Cryptic seems pretty serious about giving us that kind of flexibility.

No, for now, given we're going to be stuck with single player ships I think this is the right compromise. Utter freedom to create a bridge crew and flexibility in designing a ship coupled with some neutral-flavored commentary from our crew during that mission. The only realistic alternative is no narrative input from our NPC crew at all.

Cryptic's starting to feel the pinch of their decision a little bit here but it's the only practical one they could make given a finite development time. Hopefully we will, eventually, see multiplayer ships and perhaps the kind of colorful, lively, interaction you and I both want. Until then I'm content enough with this approach for NPC crew.