Lt. Commander
Generally I'm a big supporter of the C-Store and I think it adds a lot of value to the game, but I do have a complaint now.

The Excelsior refit is really too expensive for 1200 points, there is a difference between a micro transaction and a macro transaction. 1200 points including taxes is about 15 euro here, for the same amount of money I can actually pick up a new copy of the game and get a free month of play time too.

Considering the only cool features about this ship are its looks and the warp drive abilities I really don't think it's worth that much money. The other ships cost just as much but at least that can be justified because you can also get them in-game by other means.
The Enterprise-E for 2k points is justifiable because you can get it by recruiting people too and I'm fine with that ship costing that much.

This ship however seems to be c-store only and can't be obtained through other means. I more expected a similar deal you also gave with the other 1200 point ships.

To say that I'm disappointed would be an understatement, but at least we still have the tier 3 version I guess, even though you can't fly it viably end-game.

I realise that discussing the price of this ship is rather pointless now, but I do hope you'll keep this in mind for the future. Apart from the Targ and the 1200/ 2000 CP ships I bought everything in the c-store, but there is no way I'd ever pay more then 800 CP for a ship and I think that'd be really pushing it already.

My second biggest worry is that I hope you're not setting a new trend here by publishing expensive things that can be considered content rather then costumization in the c-store only.
I hope this ship is an exception rather then the rule.

If people want to add their own feedback I request you keep your posts polite and well mannered, I've seen too many rants on the forums already and after all, Cryptic is more likely to listen to well motivated and polite feedback.
Lt. Commander
# 2
08-27-2010, 02:03 AM
Too late, a ton have sold already . . . so changing the price and working out refunds may be too much of a hassle in cryptic's eyes even if they did, for whatever odd reason, decide to drop the price on an item that is selling very well.

And that's just further proof that it is not, in fact, overpriced . . . I don't think the actual price would have really mattered to anyone really interested in the ship skin.

As to your worry that this could lead to a bad trend . . . too late, the trend is here. Slap a price tag on it and call it a day.
Lt. Commander
# 3
08-27-2010, 02:39 AM
Well like I said, I don't expect them to change the price now that it's published, but I do hope to see more reasonable prices in the future.

In theory they can still undo the price change too, though it'd require a script to run through all the accounts and refund CP that was spent too much. I'm not out to get the price of this ship changed though, mostly that they lower the price tags in similar situations in the future.

In this case it's also more then just a ship skin, it's an actual functional ship rather then just an alternative look of a ship you can already get.

I can't really call a single ship like this a trend though. For a trend you'll need more then 1 and as I said in my previous post I don't count the other 1200 point ships to be in the same situation as this one since you can get those by alternative means too.
Lt. Commander
# 4
08-27-2010, 06:21 AM
Yeah 1200 -> 15€ for a single ship is just ripoff... as comparison: for about 800 Xbox Live Points (about 10€) I get a complete new Episode for Mass Effect 2 with a new weapon, new locations, a new member for my team, ... All of this took 1000x more time to create! Furthermore selling ships which cost like half of the actual game is kinda weird.
Lt. Commander
# 5
08-27-2010, 06:50 AM
I believe gamestop sells the game for 19 dollars. Considering euro: dollar = 1 : 1.27 with yesterdays exchange rate the game is about the same price as the ship. :p
Lt. Commander
# 6
08-27-2010, 06:56 AM
I'm sure they'll reduce the price eventually. But if people will buy it at the high price, they'll charge the high price.
Lt. Commander
# 7
08-28-2010, 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemex View Post
Yeah 1200 -> 15 for a single ship is just ripoff... as comparison: for about 800 Xbox Live Points (about 10) I get a complete new Episode for Mass Effect 2 with a new weapon, new locations, a new member for my team, ... All of this took 1000x more time to create! Furthermore selling ships which cost like half of the actual game is kinda weird.
I forsee flying the Excelsior for the next few months at least. For how long will you play the new Mass Effect 2 Episode? With the weekly episodes, you will also get about 4 episodes per 15 $ you spend on the subscription.
Lt. Commander
# 8
08-28-2010, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
I forsee flying the Excelsior for the next few months at least.
Now I know why you're so adamant about the ship being balanced.

Lt. Commander
# 9
08-27-2010, 08:33 AM
At least they should have it avaiable in game similar to other refits.
Lt. Commander
# 10
08-27-2010, 12:47 PM
you know, that is a pretty good logical argument. Hmmm let me ponder that for a bit.

makes dern good sense.