Lt. Commander
Every other attack pattern with the exception of Alpha, which is tactical officer only, has their rank 1 ability in the Lieutenant slot. I believe this one should be also.

In fact, in general, abilities that share Rank 2&3 in Commander slots are essentially useless. There is no reason to have a rank 2 ability in your commander slot other than you have been too lazy to ask /zone in ESD for someone to train you up.

My suggestion is then, this:

Give these abilities access to rank 1 at Lieutenant, rank 2 at Lt. Commander, and rank 3 at Commander.

OR

Remove rank 3 from the game, then give rank 2 the same stats as rank 3 currently has.

My preference would be the first suggestion as I always favor giving options to the player rather than removing them. :)
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-01-2010, 12:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbitre
Every other attack pattern with the exception of Alpha, which is tactical officer only, has their rank 1 ability in the Lieutenant slot. I believe this one should be also.
Problem is that rank II and III are Commander rank. Also, it is more powerful than the other attack patterns at Lt. IMO. I would go APOIII and get a more worthwhile Lt skill instead (HYIII, BOIII, APDII etc.)
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-01-2010, 02:33 AM
Several powers in this game are designed to be available only at Lt.Commander Level and still have 3 ranks. It's kinda a special benefit for the class in question and for finding a rare officer with the skill (or having the abiltiy to train it.)

I think Attack Patterns Omega base effects (Turn Rate bonus and Movement Debuff immunity) make it a very good skill that might be too good if "everyone" could have it as a Lt. level skill.
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-01-2010, 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetzaal
Problem is that rank II and III are Commander rank. Also, it is more powerful than the other attack patterns at Lt. IMO. I would go APOIII and get a more worthwhile Lt skill instead (HYIII, BOIII, APDII etc.)
(I think you meant HY2, BO2, and APD2 as the abilities you listed are Lt Cmdr and not the center of our discussion right now. I am more focused the Lt and, by tangent, Cmdr abilities.)

While I understand what you mean about the APO3 (in the case that you HAVE a Cmdr tac BO on your ship), I disagree with your logic and here is why:

APO2 has no place in this game whatsoever in its current state. There are other abilities that have the same issue with them and I'm not here to argue that, only that I think it's silly to even have 3 ranks in the current set up. There is no reason to have a rank 2 Cmdr ability in any capacity other than you haven't spammed zone at ESD for someone to train you in rank 3. Why not just have Rank 1 in Lt Cmdr and Rank 2 in Cmdr (with the current rank 3 stats).

I guess my argument could have been alternatively stated as:
"the abilities that share rank 2 and 3 both in Cmdr slots warrant re-evaluation."

APO1 was the one I chose to bring up b/c it is the one that most directly affects me and my desire to use APO1 in Lt slot along with HY3 in an heavy cruiser.
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-07-2010, 04:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbitre
I guess my argument could have been alternatively stated as:
"the abilities that share rank 2 and 3 both in Cmdr slots warrant re-evaluation."
This less like an argument but more like a proposal.

I don't necessarily disagree with that. Though as an argument against it I could bring that these skills make both the ability to train skills and rare bridge officers valuable. The option to trade bridge officers doesn't change that at all - it makes trading interesting in the first place.

Also, there might be a reason for these skills not being available at lower tiers. Attack Pattern Omega - for example - grants certain unique benefits that are only available to certain ships. Its benefits might be too good (damage, speed, turn and defense buff and immunity to movement debuffs like tractor beams) otherwise, especially if buffs from other classes can be added to the mix.

If every ship could use APO I, Polarize Hull and Auxillary Power to Dampeners you could trivilialize a lot of effects in this game with lower level powers.