Lt. Commander
I have a couple concerns and questions about UGC after listening to the Subspace Radio Interview with Mike Apolis where he discusses in length how the devs think The Foundry will operate:
  1. UGC Reviewers - Player Council all over again?

My concern here is about granting a few players power over many. It seems Cryptic is thinking of having a panel of player "reviewers" make the initial call on whether to let new UGC missions be published for others to play or not. Mike Apolis says players can sign up to be a reviewer.

Everyone should be concerned about this because the people who sign up will have their own ideas as to what should be published and what shouldn't be. Strict Canonists will be sure to sign up and stop anything that doesn't meet their personal approval.

This sounds reasonable for stopping plain inappropriate content but... Will these "reviewers" have the power to "deny" your UGC mission just because they don't think your story is canon? Or that your mission has a ship in it that they don't think should exist?

I wouldn't take anyone's fun away from piloting a T5 NX-Class but there are others who would in an instant. I do not want them making a "judgment call" on my UGC missions.

Who will the initial "reviewers" be? Perhaps the players chosen to be in The Foundry's Closed Beta?

Is there voting on who can be a reviewer? And who is going to review the reviewer to make sure they aren't being too lenient or too strict?

This is bothering me almost as much as The Player Council did - I don't like a select few having this much power. In my opinion, this is a rather stringent level of vetting.

I think any content that's too wierd or non-canon should simply be policed by everyone via the rating system. Anything wonky can be moved to the Holosuite in Quark's Bar and the Holodeck on our ships as fantasy programs.

2. Diminishing Returns for UGC Mission XP - Not the savior of Klingon PvE?

Mike Apolis also says they are thinking of implementing diminishing returns for UGC content that we complete each day. The 1st UGC mission - you get ok XP. The 2nd mission - your get similar XP and an item. The 3rd mission - your XP goes way down. After the 3rd you're not getting XP at all for running UGC content that day.

What bothers me about this is obvious. For Klingons it's not the savior of their PvE experience like a few devs have implied. Being able to get (ok) XP from 2 missions per day won't fill the huge gaps in PvE that Klingons have.

In just about every interview, DStahl says Klingons will never have the same amount of episodes as Feds. Well, leveling a Klingon won't be that much better with this. Feds can log in, play PvE all day long and gain a couple ranks. Klingons still won't be able to with UGC.

Why even lead us to believe that The Foundry will fill the Klingon content gap when you knew up front you were going to implement diminishing returns?!

I realize what Mike Apolis disclosed isn't set in stone. However, it's the direction Cryptic is moving in and so worthy of discussion. What do you think?
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-22-2010, 06:57 PM
Ok two things...

1. the reviews need to be elected by the community, and it needs to be for missions that are added to the game. ( as in make them non UGC missions, but make them like normal game missions.. that way every one gets published, but the best missions become official... )

2. Klingons can't play UGC.. or they cant get as much XP... Klingon players need to have the limit of the amount of XP increased. instead of the first mission giving normal XP make it the first 5 or so missions for them, and then start decreasing the XP.
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-22-2010, 07:26 PM
1. I can't remember but didn't it say that there are around 20 reviewers that the mission needs to pass through? I'm sure with such a wide pass around surely they won't be 20 people who all think exactly the same e.g. hardcore canon purists? They most likely will be a variety of people.

Also I think I remember something about them only being around for a certain number of months or weeks before being replaced by another bunch. So I guess it's like jury service or something.

2. Surely having something new to do is welcome? So there's a diminishing returns system to prevent exploits, e.g. farming. That's OK. You'll at least get some skill points from around 3 missions per day. Compared to now where there's only one new feature episode every week.

I'm sure these are over-concerns. Everything so far seems reasonable in theory. Let's see how it works for real in the beta test first before further speculation either way.
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-22-2010, 08:27 PM
I second Mirror-Master's concerns.

Placing customers into positions of power and privilege over other customers - especially such a subjective sort of power - turns my gut. I really don't think that UGC should be slipped into the 'main game' anyway since it works out to padding the product with volunteer work. Rating, search features, all that is necessary... appointing a cultural jury is not.

And massively-dimishing returns on running UGC makes no sense, especially given that it's almost guaranteed to involve more interesting variety than grinding Exploration. Even if 99% of UGC missions are crap, at least they wouldn't be the same madlib over and over agan.
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-22-2010, 08:48 PM
I say no to a panel of reviewers. Bad idea. The main point of the UGC is to allow the players to create their own stories and share them with the community at large. Adding in this panel is going to defeat that purpose, espiceally if the writer of said mission has to wait for apporval from this panel to even see it in game.

On the other hand if there were a once a year event in place where a panel of reviewers pulled from Cryptic, CBS, and the player base were to review the best UGC missions in the game and then officially add the best of the best as regular missions in the game then I could see this working.
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-22-2010, 08:54 PM
If those two points come to pass, then I will cease my subscription.

The only sole reason I have put up with all the bugs and gameplay issues is the promise of the UGC. If this ****-poor idea of implementation actually makes it past the "is this a dumb idea" stage, then I will absolutely no reason to continue playing.
Lt. Commander
# 7
10-22-2010, 09:14 PM
What is it with Cryptic and trying to force panels of ultra elite players/trekkies/people-with-little-to-no-interest-in-the-game-who-happen-to-run-a-site-with-the-word-trek-in-it on us?

Here's hoping this idea isn't a precursor to just getting us to do all the developing so they can cannibalize the dev team for their other projects.
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-22-2010, 09:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekvar
If those two points come to pass, then I will cease my subscription.

The only sole reason I have put up with all the bugs and gameplay issues is the promise of the UGC. If this ****-poor idea of implementation actually makes it past the "is this a dumb idea" stage, then I will absolutely no reason to continue playing.
Why are we freaking out over a casual interview? Cryptic hasn't even presented the so-called "review" system and people are already lighting torches and raising pitchforks.

In the immortal words of Douglas Adams DON'T PANIC. At least, not until you have been presented with and used the system in question. I am ABSOLUTELY certain that Cryptic will do everything in their power to curb abuse to a minimum.

And as far as the rewards go, how is this going to be any different from B'Tran and PvP dailies? Did you notice you can only do those once a day?

Believe me, if there are valid concerns about the implementation after we have been presented the system and tried it out ourselves, I'll grab a pitchfork too. But it is just way too early to freak out about all this.
Lt. Commander
# 9
10-22-2010, 08:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidheadjax View Post
I second Mirror-Master's concerns.

Placing customers into positions of power and privilege over other customers - especially such a subjective sort of power - turns my gut. I really don't think that UGC should be slipped into the 'main game' anyway since it works out to padding the product with volunteer work. Rating, search features, all that is necessary... appointing a cultural jury is not.

And massively-dimishing returns on running UGC makes no sense, especially given that it's almost guaranteed to involve more interesting variety than grinding Exploration. Even if 99% of UGC missions are crap, at least they wouldn't be the same madlib over and over agan.
This. Diminishing returns just makes no sense. This is a way of creating content for ourselves.. why should they do anything but encourage that?
Lt. Commander
# 10
10-22-2010, 09:09 PM
The one thing that most bothers me about the UGC, is that it's basically "busywork" to keep us (the customer) occupied. Which really sends the message that the content in-game already is insufficient.

Sure there will be some really good missions some will come up and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Cryptic ends up taking some of those missions and adding them to existing content. But in the long run, it's just an overgloried mission creator using STO tools, instead of creating the same mission with mods of previous Star Trek games like Bridge Commander.

Be honest, given how bad Space Combat has gotten with repetitiveness and the over dependance on BO Abilities, I'm starting to think that playing Bridge Commander is a better deal in being "Star Trek".