Lt. Commander
# 1 Crafting/Miners sub-class idea
10-25-2010, 02:59 PM
Crafting/Miners sub-class idea

well from the start of this game i have felt that something is missing Crafting and mining in a "real" manner.

Im sitting here and wonder what if we have crafting/mining as an sub-class
that works like this

you start a character and start to lv him/here up and when you reach lv say ltcm1 you get the option to start harvest materials/minerals to/for the faction you represents klingon/feds/Roms

Things that can be harvest is all the mayor things that represent the sto universe, like
finer mining class all the things here are listed in the Star trek universe so it is canon.

proton
antimatter
antineutron
antiproton
antitime
anyon
argine
baryon
Berthold radiation
bicaridine
bilitrium
bitrium
boridium
calendenium
cast rodinium
chemicite
chroniton
chronometric particle
cobalt dinitrate
corbomite

And so on the list is huge so this can be used to make a cool thing
the list must be split up in mining classes and to specific mining type.

So as I can see this is that you must chose one of several road's to get good in.

Fine mining
collecting the harder and finer particles in the universe," not weapon particles but all other ones.

Danger mining
Collecting of the more dangerous particles in the universe. some weapon particles.

Hazardous mining
Collecting and study of the most dangerous particles known in space "lots of weapon particles"
This profession can have a hazard to it all from the crue onboard gets sick and must be treated at a doctor. or the most fatal one your ship can blow up. "yeah am serious here" adds some risk is always fun.

Basic materials
Water and rock and all the basic minerals
No hazard plain and simple mining venture.

And one special one
Strange unknown elements, the hardest of the lot to do
finding and collecting the unknown elements that still have not been found, "side part can be that the player must use the on ship science lab to find out if he/she have found some of late.
This involve to mine all things that can be mined but this profession CAN NOT profit from selling the materials they will only be able to brake the elements to see if there is some unknown element in the collected things.

Side note maybe all the collected things can be "must" be refined onboard the ship in the correct area onboard "give the ship interior a new purpose.

This is the main idea as of right now and more idea's and suggestions are more than welcome.
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-25-2010, 04:18 PM
really no one have any desire or input on this.?
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-25-2010, 05:27 PM
As a huge fan of crafting in games, I like any idea like that that tries to bring more crafting into STO.

We're discussing some big crafting changes that we want to make to STO and I can't wait to see us start working on this stuff. Ultimately, we want players to be able to construct their own starbase, shipyard and ships. That is where I'm trying to get to - even if it takes me a year to develop it.
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-25-2010, 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
As a huge fan of crafting in games, I like any idea like that that tries to bring more crafting into STO.

We're discussing some big crafting changes that we want to make to STO and I can't wait to see us start working on this stuff. Ultimately, we want players to be able to construct their own starbase, shipyard and ships. That is where I'm trying to get to - even if it takes me a year to develop it.
Your long-term goals are admirable and I hope to see them come to pass. Right now I have absolutely no motivation to use the system in place.
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-25-2010, 05:36 PM
Quote:
Ultimately, we want players to be able to construct their own starbase, shipyard and ships.
This is EXACTLY where it should go! also SHIPYARDS? HELL YEAH!
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-25-2010, 05:38 PM
Quote:
we want players to be able to construct their own starbase, shipyard and ships. That is where I'm trying to get to - even if it takes me a year to develop it.
Can you explain the reasoning behind us getting to build our own starships when it's currently impossible to lose one except by scrapping it?
Lt. Commander
# 7
10-25-2010, 06:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten-Nemesis View Post
Can you explain the reasoning behind us getting to build our own starships when it's currently impossible to lose one except by scrapping it?
Nothing certain yet - but we've been taking a close look at PotBS's ship crafting/loss mechanics as a possibility for top tier ships in the future. It certainly comes up frequently in discussions.
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-25-2010, 06:23 PM
Quote:
Nothing certain yet - but we've been taking a close look at PotBS's ship crafting/loss mechanics as a possibility for top tier ships in the future. It certainly comes up frequently in discussions.
This could be problematic, more often than not I've had my ship destroyed due to the actions of others and/or those I team with getting into or causing trouble. Space Fleet Actions are very much open to griefing, especially since enemy ships don't seem to lose aggro anymore.
Lt. Commander
# 9
10-25-2010, 06:49 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowself
I would be greatly unhappy with any system that could cause me to randomly lose either a ship *OR* an officer, for any reason. And such a system would be an option I would not use, ever. Even if my only option is to stop playing. Ships and officers are part of *MY* character. I picked them, I paid for them, and I'll be the only one to decide when it's time to write them out of the script.

i second that sentiment.

do not make me quit this game please. If i want those mechanics i will go play PotBS's or eve. Both games that do this kind of gameplay to perfection.
I REALLY do not need a third game that tries doing it.

I need more storys to experience with my dudes. not new ways to lose them.
Lt. Commander
# 10
10-25-2010, 08:40 PM
Quote:
This is some of the best news I've heard in regards to the game.

As a huge fan of PotBS, I would love to see a system similar to those mechanics implemented in STO.