Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
On a thread elsewhere I came across the functionality options for ship interiors. It brought me back to my old bugbear - the complete lack of petty officers and ratings onboard masisve starships... not everyone is an officer in Starfleet. Now elsewhere Stahl mentioned the ability to add people to the crew without making them a BOff, and sustaining some of their funcitons but losing their abilities forever. Almost like applying a buff rather than a clickable skill.

Then I thought, why not combine these two features. As you level perhaps you can acquire a crewman for each of these rooms for your ship. They wouldn't just walk about atrandom but sit at a desk/console and have some limited functionality such as a mini-game.

If at all possible these characters could/should have some personality. Resonances of Baldurs Gatwe where we all had the same people but grew fond of them. Please give them a basic voice, even if that is just hi there when we click on them. There could be a choice of candidates each with a different outcome possible from the same mini-game. This would help seed the market with consumables as people could only have one of three outcomes. We dont need them all at once and we don't need them all now, but something like this a little at a time would add a lot. Ideally in the long term this pool grows as you level.

This would help with immersion, customisation, combat choices, and enhance player interraction in the makret and trade amongst friends/fleets.

CPO Engineering - at console in engineering
Staff Nurse - desk in medbay office
Commandant of the brig - desk in brig
Yeoman - in your quarrters
Galley cheif/ morale officer/whatever - 10fwd behind the bar
Ambigious redshirt - outside the door to your ready-room

So on to the mini-games:
I would suggest we take the mini-games as being used to create one-time buffs of the consumable variety and they should consume something to help with the economy needing more sink-holes. The tricky part is where to place these features in the interface and that might require a new slot for 'temporary powers' soemwhere in your character sheet. These consumables shoudl have loooooooooooong, shared cooldowns to prevent massive over use, and I believe, they should have a high risk factor to reflect their volatile and experimental nature.

Here are some examples:

CPO Engineering option 1: The grumpy Andorian
Mini-game = craft Overcharged Quantum Slipstream pulse generator
The mini game could be a bit like the waveform thingamo except here the trick is to grab spinning particules in the accelerator chamber. The particles themselves could be the verysame ones you harvest in exploration zones. So there is an input requirement.
Reward = Overcharged Slipsream Pulse Generator (consumable device)
Function = like an engine battery only +500 speed for 1 second (or something similar)
10% chance of failure resulting in warpcore breach = kabooooooooom.

CPO Engineering option 2: The giddy Orion girl
Mini-game = craft Overcharged Quantum Torpedo
Mini game works same as above but the output is dfferent.
Reward = Overcharged Quantum Torpedo (consumable device)
Fnction = launches a single massive Quantum Torpedo eqiv to High Yield III
10% chance to explode in chamber resulting in explosion within your own sheilds.

CPO Engineering option 3: The greedy Tellerite
Mini-game = craft Overcharged Quantum mines
Mini game works same as above but the output is dfferent.
Reward = Overcharged Quantum mines (consumable device)
Fnction = beams in a barrier of mines in front of your captain
10% chance to explode on beam in resulting in damage and knockback for you and your crew.

I could go on forever, but the idea is laid out here well enough. I know it is a big ask, butI think the outcomes are well worth it. In this single feature a lot of potentiality emerges in ways I think most of the community would like to see the game expand.

Comments, feedback and suggestions most welcome. Thanks for reading this far.
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-26-2010, 06:46 AM
I think the rank slots are less about rank and more about billet.

I have a "Chief" or CPO, based on the rank insignia but he serves in a LtCommander Billet on my ship (for example, you might have a commander but put him or her in a lt. billet).
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-26-2010, 06:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
I think the rank slots are less about rank and more about billet.

I have a "Chief" or CPO, based on the rank insignia but he serves in a LtCommander Billet on my ship (for example, you might have a commander but put him or her in a lt. billet).
Yeah I have to say I never liked the idea that ability was linked to rank. I do not enjoy the fact that all my officers are commanders. Then again, all my characters are admirals and so are their freinds. This game has a serious rank proliferation problem in that regard. Level should never have been tied to rank. TA least not after Commander.
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-26-2010, 07:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Restless.Kaiser
Yeah I have to say I never liked the idea that ability was linked to rank. I do not enjoy the fact that all my officers are commanders. Then again, all my characters are admirals and so are their freinds. This game has a serious rank proliferation problem in that regard. Level should never have been tied to rank. TA least not after Commander.
amen to that
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-26-2010, 08:56 AM
At the moment, we have the following jobs on the bridge: Captain, Tactical/Security, Science, Engineering. It has also been announced that the devs are working on something for the First Officer. Yet this still leaves a few Trek professions, which, based on Kaiser's idea, I could imagine in the following capacity (unique faction differences in blue/red for Fed/KDF):
  • Helmsman
    Effect: increase to sector space travel speed

• Operations / Gunner
    Effect: minor increase to shield power level / minor increase to weapon power level

• Chief Medical Officer / Physician
    Effect: increase to crew resilience and recovery rate

• Yeoman / Toy'wI' (servant)
    Effect: minor cooldown decrease to RAdm Ground and Space abilities (Strike Team + Tactical Fleet, Engineering Proficiency + Engineering Fleet, Scientific Aptitude + Science Fleet)

Regarding minigames, however, I cannot agree. People should not be "forced" to play minigames just to gain an advantage in combat, and personally I dislike any kind of consumable buff - if it were for me, I'd even remove batteries from the game.
No. Minigames should be about fun and fun alone.

If you need moneysinks, there are a lot of other options STO could go. The Danube shuttlecraft was a good idea, why not continue this with similar things that do not affect the core game, but are quite simply cool to have?

As a variant of the anomaly minigame, however, I could imagine the science lab being used in a way that allows the duplication of harvested anomalies, as in you put a sample into the chamber and then you play a game for it. If you win, you get double or even a better version of it, and if not you lose the sample. Just off the top of my ridges.

Quote:
I do not enjoy the fact that all my officers are commanders.
Mine aren't. I realize I'm gimping myself, but I like my "realistic" crew. I even have named ground combat redshirts with no rank just for my away team.
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-26-2010, 09:42 AM
Well there are two seperate things here you mention about my thread.

1: You don't think people should be forced to play mini games to get combat buffs. I completely agree. Seeing how so many people will the makret will be swamped with them. They are likely to be fairly cheap in that regard, being fairly common. Besides, there is little use for your eergy credits currently. You mentioned the runabout. That cosumes 1% of the cash I have with 3 lvl 51 characters. It is hadly a money sink when money is currently almost useless.

2: You don't like consumable buffs. Well, I am sorry to hear that. I like the fact they add more flexible options. I understand your viewpoint, but disagree with it.

As to your further comments about positions, yes, I would like to see those roles filled too. With regards o lower level BOffs, I only max out the ones I actually use. Not for want of points, like anything else I have gazillions of em, I do it so my crew are not all commanders.

If we get thoes positions as crew, let us hipe those guys come with a passive funciton. I would also hope tehre is variety in the choices. One Engineer gives you weapon power, another shield pwoer etc.
Lt. Commander
# 7
10-26-2010, 12:56 PM
I'd like to see anything and everything that the OP suggested. The more gameplay options we have, the better in my opinion.

One thing I would really love to see are story arc missions that start from your own ship.
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-27-2010, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valias
As a variant of the anomaly minigame, however, I could imagine the science lab being used in a way that allows the duplication of harvested anomalies, as in you put a sample into the chamber and then you play a game for it. If you win, you get double or even a better version of it, and if not you lose the sample. Just off the top of my ridges.
Sound sliek a good idea, double or quits. A nice simple feature.

I had wondered about being able to do simle crafting in your lab/engineering via a mini-game perhaps. Perhaps you could create medium hypos etc via a mini-game in which you contribute a small one and some otehr craftable. Seeing as you cna just buy these items it is hardly game breaking. I would save you the annoying trip to awkward vendors if you are prepared to put in the time.

Thinking on though. Thesingle most irritating feature that requires you to travel is injuries. Thise critical injuries you can sustain mean you just have to go back to Sol to fix them. This is very inconvenient if you have some bad luck with a particular encounter on elite and score a hiuge wad of injuries in quick succession. Critical regenerators are too rare to be available for sustained play at that level.

Maybe you could perform a mini-game for injuries. It gets harder/faster for more severe injuries. If you fluff it you cause an injury instead.
Lt. Commander
# 9
10-27-2010, 01:50 PM
Quote:
Maybe you could perform a mini-game for injuries.
Yeah, I had something like that in mind for expanding the existing difficulty settings: http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...10#post3110910

Basically, career-oriented minigames that also promote interaction between players.