Lt. Commander
# 1 Ship catalodge
10-26-2010, 01:38 PM
Hello, I am new to the game and I am just wondering if it is possible to command a Klingon Bird of Prey. The official sites catalog of ships only has federation ships but it says on the top of the page "federation Ships" Which imply that there is another list somewhere. Any help is appreciated.
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-26-2010, 01:41 PM
yes you can,

there is no official ship listing but this fan created one has one of klingon ships

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=172816

the link to the chart is about half way down the first post
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-26-2010, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
yes you can,

there is no official ship listing but this fan created one has one of klingon ships

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=172816

the link to the chart is about half way down the first post
OOOOO. You beat me to it!

It should be noted for newbs, however, that the Klingon Defense Force is only unlocked once players have attained a Federation character with a rank equal to or greater than Lieutenant grade 6. Then you'll have the option to create a new KDF character from the main character screen.
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-26-2010, 01:49 PM
Thank you very much. That image is very helpful but before I am go off to play if I may bother you all for a bit of fan trivia: In Deep Space 9, what kind of Bird of Prey Did Guld Ducat(sp) steal and use against the Klingons? I kind of want to get my hands on that one.
Lt. Commander
# 5 RE: SpiderMitch
10-26-2010, 01:50 PM
So my free trial account may never get to make a Klingon?
Also, while you are here...What in the sam-hill is that Klingon Carrier used for!?
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-26-2010, 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Togmeister
So my free trial account may never get to make a Klingon?
Also, while you are here...What in the sam-hill is that Klingon Carrier used for!?
I don't believe you can unlock KDF with a trial account.

The Klingon Carrier is a ship that actually launches other ships. Alot of people refer to them as 'pets', akin to ranger pets and such from other MMOs.
I don't actually have that info on the chart yet, cause I knew Cryptic was about to change some of the info. The following is a link to a post on my thread that has the info. I'll be adding it to the chart sometime next week.

Trek 17's post about KDF Cruiser launched ships.
Lt. Commander
# 7
10-26-2010, 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidermitch View Post
I don't believe you can unlock KDF with a trial account.

The Klingon Carrier is a ship that actually launches other ships. Alot of people refer to them as 'pets', akin to ranger pets and such from other MMOs.
I don't actually have that info on the chart yet, cause I knew Cryptic was about to change some of the info. The following is a link to a post on my thread that has the info. I'll be adding it to the chart sometime next week.

Trek 17's post about KDF Cruiser launched ships.
Well that is sad news. I will need to purchase the product to even try out the part of it I am interested in(Sorry Federation Folks).
That info on the Carrier was very eye opening to both the carriers role in the Star Trek Universe and the games mechanics. Thank you.
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-26-2010, 03:12 PM
Quote:
Thank you very much. That image is very helpful but before I am go off to play if I may bother you all for a bit of fan trivia: In Deep Space 9, what kind of Bird of Prey Did Guld Ducat(sp) steal and use against the Klingons? I kind of want to get my hands on that one.
IIRC, that was just a plain old B'rel (tier 1) BoP.
And it's Dukat.

Lt. Commander
# 9
10-26-2010, 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackavaar View Post
IIRC, that was just a plain old B'rel (tier 1) BoP.
And it's Dukat.

Thank you for the answer and the spelling correction!
Lt. Commander
# 10
10-26-2010, 03:38 PM
Quote:

Just some things for you:

1) You cannot create a Klingon character off the bat; to do so you must have one Federation character at level 6 (Lieutenant 6). This can be accomplished in about three-four hours of gameplay. I do not know if a trial account allows for Klingon creation.

2) The reason for 1) above is that the Klingon faction was conceived as a purely PvP faction, and as such the whole "first character has to be Fed level 6" thing was to make sure you were familiar enough with the mechanics to be able to enter PvP. Not to mention that way they didn't have to write two different tutorials .

3) As a purely PvP-centric faction, Klingons don't have a lot of PvE content. The devs are slowly adding such content; however in their current state, you will have to either do a lot of PvPing, or a lot of Exploration missions - and Exploration missions get repetitive real, real fast. Again, though, the devs have seen the error of their ways and are "working on" additional Klingon PvE content - just don't expect it Soon(TM).

JUst bear those in mind.