Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
I thought the mission was really fun - but as soon as my character arrived in the past I thought " I better get some old uniforms or this could be trouble"

This could have been a fun twist to the mission, perhaps having different menu or interaction options for people that chose to wear 23rd Century disguises than those that did not. Granted there were [diplomatic] dialogue options but having characters dressed in disguise and those that did not have different options.

If the dialogue options can't be changed perhaps just the option to temporarily wear the TOS uniform during the mission would be nice.
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-07-2010, 11:59 AM
That would be a nice twist, maybe knock out some guards and wear their clothes. And if you are wearing TOS clothes already the same thing applies to where you won't be troubled. I would like that kind of thing, to be able to be dressed up in a disguise.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-07-2010, 12:53 PM
Really liked the mission.

BUT, I WAS wearing my TOS uniform. Yet the dialogue still asked me why I was dressed like that. A little disappointed that it didn't take that into account.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-07-2010, 05:58 PM
yeah, but I only noticed that once, the rest of the time, NPCs just kinda ignored that fact, of course I was wearing a TOS uniform so it didn't really matter for me.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-07-2010, 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinumbar
Really liked the mission.

BUT, I WAS wearing my TOS uniform. Yet the dialogue still asked me why I was dressed like that. A little disappointed that it didn't take that into account.
yeah that turned out to be an awkward conversation with TOS uniforms, apparently in the 23rd century there's starfleet officers going around knocking out random people then getting naked with their unconscious bodies!
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-08-2010, 07:59 AM
My guess would be that STO's code does not support giving players new costume options at the beginning of a mission, and then taking them away at the end. Since it is a C-Store item, they would have to take them away at the end, or they would be giving out something that other people have payed money for. Taking it away, however, could accidentally pull the item from people who already purchased it.

Ahh, the hidden perils of micro transactions.

Secondly, there would have to be the ability for the converstation system to recognize what kind of outfit the player has one (TOS Shirt, Pants, and Boots...would you need to include colors?). This likely does not exist within the code.

My bet is that you would want to force change a player and that player's BOffs' uniforms to specific ones dictated by the mission scripting (to avoid strange or unwanted results), and then force them back at the end of mission act. Perhaps this could be done with an item in inventory, though they would have to make the removal code more robust than that of the Flashlight, so that people don't get a C-Store item for free. I doubt this kind of coding for either of these solutions exists within STO as well.

I'm sure Cryptic could find a way to code around these or create them from scratch, given enough time. That kind of time, however, is a luxury they don't have when kicking out the weeklies.
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-08-2010, 12:26 PM
It is kinda interesting to point that out OP. I recall for most the away missions the away team always had the computer give them clothes relating to the time period. Would it have been really interesting to see this point play a part in the mission but I agree with ThomasGideon they probably do not have the code required to do this. But nonetheless, very good point
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-10-2010, 02:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasGideon
My bet is that you would want to force change a player and that player's BOffs' uniforms to specific ones dictated by the mission scripting (to avoid strange or unwanted results), and then force them back at the end of mission act. Perhaps this could be done with an item in inventory, though they would have to make the removal code more robust than that of the Flashlight, so that people don't get a C-Store item for free. I doubt this kind of coding for either of these solutions exists within STO as well.
hmmm ... That got me to thinking of ways it could have been done ... or might be done if a similar situation pops up in the future.

One way to do that would be to issue each player some "armor" for them and their Boffs that when shown on the character looks like a generic TOS outfit. Then all the system has to do is check to see if that armor is slotted on the characters' sheets. Of course you'd have to forgo armor during the mission, so you may want to add one some level appropriate damage resistance to the "TOS armor".

Option two would be to create a personal holo-emitter like the kind you can buy for your ship only where it runs for the duration of the mission. When activated it would make you look like a generic person in TOS uniform and throw in a little flavor text explaining that holo-emitter "contains an image from the historical archives of an actual starfleet crewman of that era" or something like that.

Either way, you'd have to script it to disappear when the mission was completed. Of course you could add in a "safety" where the item is scripted to only show on certain maps (or not show on certain maps) just incase the removal code bugged on you.
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-10-2010, 05:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien_de_jour
One way to do that would be to issue each player some "armor" for them and their Boffs that when shown on the character looks like a generic TOS outfit. Then all the system has to do is check to see if that armor is slotted on the characters' sheets. Of course you'd have to forgo armor during the mission, so you may want to add one some level appropriate damage resistance to the "TOS armor"
I really like this option. Doesn't sound like te coding would be too complex, and it would allow you to keep your toon and Boffs' appearance as well. Not a fan of a total face overhaul that the holoemitter would give. But in the future for any "travel to the past" missions, I would like to see Cryptic offer a uniform change to match the time period and have that alter NPC interaction
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-11-2010, 10:20 AM
The TOS uniforms are a c-store item.

If the mission treated you differently for wairing one than that would mean that players who didn't buy them had a disadvantage (they have fewer options on how to complete the mission).