Lt. Commander
# 1 How far is too far?
11-15-2010, 06:46 AM
I cant believe I never thought of this before, and Im suprised no one else seems to have mentioned it but basically how far, allegorically, can we go with reguards to our stories?

For example, I have a couple of new ideas. One about the Vulcans and a group Ive named the "Far Eastern Movement" who have forgone Kolinahr and retained emotion. They are not Romulans or aggressive but the Vulcans see them as a threat and their Religion is wrong.

Secondly, I have a Character who is about to be named a King on his home planet. As a diplomatic mission you are to oversee the handover and learn the Young Prince must choose a queen before he can be named a King... the only problem here however is that he is a gay character and he wishes to marr his lover but it is against the Planets beliefs and rules.

Would we be able to produce allegory tales of this nature or must we, like TNG and each successive series afterward, just drop it so we dont offend the family audience of Star Trek and this game as a whole
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-15-2010, 07:11 AM
I don't believe anyone will stop you from authoring anything you want, so long as it remains within the bounds of the Terms of Service. I imagine the Foundry works a lot like Fan Fiction: Someone may not like what you've written, They may not agree with it, They may not think it's Trek, but they can't stop you from publishing it. They can only choose to not play your missions.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-15-2010, 07:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naju View Post
I don't believe anyone will stop you from authoring anything you want, so long as it remains within the bounds of the Terms of Service. I imagine the Foundry works a lot like Fan Fiction: Someone may not like what you've written, They may not agree with it, They may not think it's Trek, but they can't stop you from publishing it. They can only choose to not play your missions.
Well, this being said. You might want to give someone fair warning in the descrption. (I heard that this will be implemented whenever the Foundry comes out) At least this way if people aren't in the mood to play something that will offend them, they will avoid your missions.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-15-2010, 07:38 AM
This is what I was thinking anyway, however I would only write and publish these missions if I felt I did it both a. Tastefully and b. Non-Offensive.

I normally hate fan fiction, but I think UGC within this game could be done brilliantlly, there are ideas of story arcs from people that sound brilliant that I cant wait to play but I do hope people dont shy away from doing Allegorys like these or even better ones that are out there.

If I do offend anyone then I hope they'd message me on the game and I would ammend or remove the episode depending on the complaint. I dont mean to offend at all though
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-15-2010, 07:49 AM
Yeah, just create your story how you want... as long it is within the EULA rules.... leave some sort of heads up in the description or something because it could have a negative affect on STO somehow.
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-15-2010, 10:26 AM
I don't think Cryptic is going to bar you from writing homosexual characters into your stories. Your story deals with segregation and discrimination, which is a very Trek theme from my POV.
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-16-2010, 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryulis View Post

Secondly, I have a Character who is about to be named a King on his home planet. As a diplomatic mission you are to oversee the handover and learn the Young Prince must choose a queen before he can be named a King... the only problem here however is that he is a gay character and he wishes to marr his lover but it is against the Planets beliefs and rules.

Should be fine...

Since initially there won't be player choices determining which direction the story takes, I'd be interested to see which your resolution would be.

Seems that either the player could be directed to endeavor to help the prince convince his people of the err of their norms through a series of events leading to his marriage to the lover and his becoming king. Or you could task the player to remove the princes gay lover from the picture and lead the prince thru retraining before finding an appropriate queen for him, who he then marries before becoming king. Or something in between or completely different.

Of course, ultimately if the tools go where we all hope they do you'll be able to leave important choices like these to the players themselves which will make missions like this much more acceptable for all. The biggest problem with moral choices is being forced to take one over the other because there really is no choice.
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-27-2010, 07:26 PM
Why not use the keyword: Slash, like they do with fan fiction? LOL.
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-16-2010, 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryulis View Post
I cant believe I never thought of this before, and Im suprised no one else seems to have mentioned it but basically how far, allegorically, can we go with reguards to our stories?

For example, I have a couple of new ideas. One about the Vulcans and a group Ive named the "Far Eastern Movement" who have forgone Kolinahr and retained emotion. They are not Romulans or aggressive but the Vulcans see them as a threat and their Religion is wrong.

Would we be able to produce allegory tales of this nature or must we, like TNG and each successive series afterward, just drop it so we dont offend the family audience of Star Trek and this game as a whole
I think stuff like this is cool as long as the following criteria can be met: 1 that player isn't forced to act in a way that is offensive to them and 2 that the situation is not spun to push an agenda.

For instance you might have the option of "shutting down" the so called religious group, but if that's the *only* option you provide then it comes across as anti religious which is untreklike. The question is, can you present the issue without adding your own bias into the storytelling.

In other words, it's a good thing to present moral dilemma's to the player, but it's not a good thing to promote one viewpoint over another. This was one of the things I've always liked about Trek, they often brought up relevant social issues but they didn't say that one side was right vs the other. It is a fine line between awareness and judgment. I will be interested to see how well the player base can walk it.

~D
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-16-2010, 07:15 PM
The rules regarding Mission Authoring will be very similar to those that already govern the forums, in-game behavior, etc.

They're clearly posted in our TOS for the game, and on our Forum Rules and Guidelines.

More specific details will be found in the TOS that you'll agree to upon entering The Foundry for Star Trek Online Beta Mission Authoring Tools.

Thanks,

Stormshade