next...maybe monday....ok we will see
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-19-2010, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatherfungus View Post
1st it was early November...thats come and gone
My face is blue by now holding my breath. I might pass out.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-19-2010, 03:54 PM
:O open open open open!!!!
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-19-2010, 05:29 PM
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-19-2010, 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlot
I would perfer functional to expiedient.
So would I.
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-20-2010, 05:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davejl_99 View Post
So would I.
Same here. But the monday release is tribble, so more testing.
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-20-2010, 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlot
I would perfer functional to expiedient.
^^^
This. they'll open up to a wider beta when they feel the tool is ready; and I'm fine with that.
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-21-2010, 06:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatherfungus View Post
1st it was early November...thats come and gone
In all seriousness, I would not really expect it until December 2nd. (4th? 6th? I can't remember the official date of the S3 release)

Mr.Stahl said that we can expect the Foundry to go public beta with the S3 launch. To me, that says it will be going on Tribble with the S3 launch, not Holodeck. I can't imagine them putting a major feature like that into beta on the live server. It could seriously (and negatively) impact the perception of players that are new to STO, especially ones that haven't yet discovered the forums.

Think about it from the perspective of a brand-new player. You've never played STO, and after buying the game you log in for the first time and see the content authoring toolset, decide to try it, and the whole thing is full of bugs and you have a terrible experience.

How would this color your opinion of the rest of the game as you experience it? The "Glass is half-full" folks would probably look at the rest of the game and not see a whole lot of major bugs and think "Okay.. then this Foundry thing will get better with time. Cool!" ... but the Half-Empties will look at every subsequent bug as a sign of a poorly designed game.

I've done a lot of things in the 15 years I've been working. I've worked in retail, from lowly sales associate all the way to marketing. I've worked as a MMO CSR. I've worked for business-to-business/corporate side of a major cellular carrier (one of the U.S.A.'s "Big 4"), and I can tell you the one thing all of those have in common are the impact of word-of-mouth.

On average, when someone has a negative experience with a product or service they will tell between 20 and 30 people about it. When they have a positive experience, they will usually tell 2-4 people. So, imagine how many people could end up never even touching STO long enough to find out how great it is just because of their one bad experience with a tool that's not quite ready for primetime, or even just the word of one of their friends who had that bad experience.

So, I wouldn't expect it until S3 launch (approx. saturday-after-next) on Tribble if Cryptic does it right.

(BTW: I do know that 90% of people on the internet who use statistics make the numbers up themselves.. but you can fact-check my word-of-mouth numbers yourself. They're fairly accurate AFAIK.)
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-21-2010, 06:54 AM
I completely agree. While I'd love to see The Foundry on Holodeck, I've been thinking that Tribble might be the perfect home for the Foundry. That is where everything gets bug and play tested. Missions could be created there and then when significantly tested and approved, moved to Holodeck.
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-21-2010, 09:44 AM
yup, foundry needs to be on tribble until it functions well.

now if we can just get it to tribble :p