Lt. Commander
Was anyone else really annoyed to read in "Ask Cryptic" that the up coming contest "Design the Enterprise F" will probably only be open to the U.S.?

Not saying that I don't expect some great designs from across the pond but what about the Star Trek fans OUTSIDE the U.S.?!
I've been drawing up rough designs since I read about the contest (waiting to see exactly what format Cryptic wants it submitted in) wasted time now. That aside I've seen quite a few epic designs from the people in the UK, German, Italy etc which will never see the light of day due to something as stupid as Tax.

While a new Laptop would be nice I for one would be gladly give it up if there was a remote chance that I could design the Enterprise F... Especially if it (somehow) became canon at some point.

I'm sure there are a few others that would forgo the prizes just to have their name attached to an official Enterprise/ship design.
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-02-2010, 05:07 PM
Yes, I totally agree it's unfortunate and downright silly to not allow ANY features available in the US abroad, much less just designing a ship (for the record, I'm American). Corporate laws don't want to concede, which is to be expected, but when it affects the content of a major international release that's quite unacceptable. This game is sold in other countries; it should therefore be sold with all components intact, no if's, and's or but's. You are justified in your concern.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-02-2010, 05:17 PM
First, keep in mind that the Ent F isn't Cryptic's contest. Cryptic is just going along with the contest and agreeing to add the winner to the game as the Ent F. Second, contests like this are considered pyramid schemes in some countries and subject to criminal actions against those who hold them.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-02-2010, 05:41 PM
yeah, it's totally unfortunate for those outside the U.S, but trying to get the contest through the intensely thick cobwebs of international law would be way more than Cryptic could afford/handle, so sadly there's nothing they can do about it
and for those who are saying 'screw the rules' despite what Cryptic has said, would you rather STO's develepment come to a halt for years while they sort through the mess? yes it would be an honor to have your name next to the newest Enterprise, but I don't think even that is worth it
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-03-2010, 04:44 AM
Not really as I knew that it wouldn't be a game playable outside of the USA due to legalease and other international trade restrictions. What can one do? Demand Cryptic change the laws? Hardly a realistic approach.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-03-2010, 04:53 AM
Yeah, it's really unfortunate and totally Cryptic's fault that they have neither the legal staff nor the resources to research the laws of all 200+ countries on this planet and then pay the correct fees/taxes/bribes necessary to run this contest (that they're not even running) in every single country in the world.

Oh and by the way, there has already been at least one dev post that explained this. So by all means, let's start a couple hundred more threads about this same subject and blame Cryptic once again for something they have no control over.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-03-2010, 04:54 AM
They could always offer the prizes to charity to enable it to be done outside of the US.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-06-2010, 07:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starmutt View Post
Was anyone else really annoyed to read in "Ask Cryptic" that the up coming contest "Design the Enterprise F" will probably only be open to the U.S.?
Let me put it this way....my avatar is patrolling California waters.....and he's hungry!
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-06-2010, 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starmutt View Post
Not really, as I understand the limittations of international bussiness law and do not let such trivial things bother me. Its rather childish to act so considering that Cryptic must obey the restrictions of world commerce law and may not have the resources to throw a worldwide contest.
Thanks for setting the precendent though for my future excuse of ranting why its unfair the US players can't involved in something. I would have posted a complaint about how the US players couldn't get the England to be in the world record attempt by Cryptic from a few months back without spoending money and time to travel, but I didn't wantr to come off as childish.
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-07-2010, 06:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
Not really, as I understand the limittations of international bussiness law and do not let such trivial things bother me. Its rather childish to act so considering that Cryptic must obey the restrictions of world commerce law and may not have the resources to throw a worldwide contest.
Thanks for setting the precendent though for my future excuse of ranting why its unfair the US players can't involved in something. I would have posted a complaint about how the US players couldn't get the England to be in the world record attempt by Cryptic from a few months back without spoending money and time to travel, but I didn't wantr to come off as childish.
Aside from the fact that I don't blame Cryptic for the competition rules (at any point in my original post), I'm trying to get across that the majority of people MAY just like the chance to design the Enterprise F. I would like to think that CBS/Paramount (and any 3rd partys involved in the competition) would like to give the opportunity to fans world wide to design it.
I was also trying to suggest that maybe some people, possibly quite a few (myself included), would gladly forgo monetary value of the prizes and just be content knowing they'd designed the next (possibly canon) Enterprise. I in no way wanted incur the wrath of international business law aficionados
If itís childish to want fans the world over to have the equal opportunity to enter an online design competition for something they care about then call me Peter Pan, because I ainít growing up any time soon

Iíd be more perturbed if it was a competition run just by Cryptic as there would be no need at all to restrict the entries based on location, prizes, laws etc. I mean they could just offer free life time subs, downloadable versions of the game and/or even the winning design given to the winner a few months ahead of everyone else or something. But alas its not Crypticís competition.
It's just unfortunate that competitions like this, where ever their based and whoever their promoted by, can't be open to fans world wide.

I suppose if I could blame Cryptic for anything at all (and I don't) is that they sent emails to people outside the U.S. psyching us up about an exciting competition... but then not making it a little bit more obvious that it would only be open to the U.S. But thatís just a problem with email promotion the world over :p