Lt. Commander
I bought the game on release and levelled a Klingon to max, I quit the game 2 weeks later along with all my m8's.

I returned 5 weeks ago and have since levelled up a Fed Science officer to max level, kitted the ship out with purple weapons and equipment and am pretty much ready to quit the game again.

WHY?

Well the simple reason is there is nothing at all for me to do. Yes I could spend the next 2 months farming the emblems for the XII gear but tell me why? What is the point? I can't do anything with them?

When I played WOW I farmed good gear for a reason, it was so I could attack the enemy faction. About 6 or 7 of us would gear up and then attack the Alliance, ride into their lands, cause mayhem, have an adventure, see how long we could last, get chased away by 10 or 15 Alliance, it was amazing fun.

Why in Star trek is there no neutral zone? An area of space that I can venture into and feel at risk? An area that would be exciting, an area that is not safe. I always remember watching ST and when the enterprise ventured into the neutral zone it was exciting, how can you leave this out of STO?

I would love a neutral zone where instead of enemy signal contacts, you had a system where if you came close to a ship of the opposite faction you get the option to hail them and warn them to leave the zone or attack them. If you attack you and your team are taken to an instance a bit like the current pvp battlegrounds and have to fight the enemy and his team, how cool would that be? It would add something of an adventure to this very boring end game mmo, it would certainly give me a reason to keep playing and farm for good gear.

I see no reason anyone should object to this feature being added to the game as the pvp players get something to do and the PvE players that detest pvp don't need to enter the zone, they can just continue to play the game as they do already, it's win, win.
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-04-2010, 09:17 AM
STO is losing players? or you just stating your opinion as fact? ya just your opinion as fact. This game is not powerlevers game. you need to have fun and enjoy it. If you cant do that you are going to be unhappy.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-04-2010, 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by artika1 View Post
STO is losing players? or you just stating your opinion as fact? ya just your opinion as fact. This game is not powerlevers game. you need to have fun and enjoy it. If you cant do that you are going to be unhappy.
Exactly. This game is not for power levelers. I leveled up two toons within a few months of STO going live because I'm having fun, not just to get that high level toon with all the best gear.

I don't farm for gear. In all the time I've been here I have picked up one antiproton weapon for one toon and that's only because I was doing the dailies in Orellius for experience. I was happy to see I had enough Emblems to get one
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-04-2010, 09:47 AM
Quote:
Now come on are you serious, do I actually have to answer this question, even the Devs will put their hand up and say the amount of people play Star Trek On-line is well below what the most popular IP on the planet should be able to pull in. One world wide server and you still struggle to get a team together, have long pvp queues.

You may love the game, Cryptic and all their staff but at least talk realistic, STO has been a total and utter disaster, pick any forum on any site and see what people say about this game, it's 90% bad and thats why I and all my friends left. I want it to be good, thats why I am here, trying to offer suggestions, it's just better if we all talk as realists and stop being so abusive tbh.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-04-2010, 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanagrah
Now come on are you serious, do I actually have to answer this question, even the Devs will put their hand up and say the amount of people play Star Trek On-line is well below what the most popular IP on the planet should be able to pull in. One world wide server and you still struggle to get a team together, have long pvp queues.

You may love the game, Cryptic and all their staff but at least talk realistic, STO has been a total and utter disaster, pick any forum on any site and see what people say about this game, it's 90% bad and thats why I and all my friends left. I want it to be good, thats why I am here, trying to offer suggestions, it's just better if we all talk as realists and stop being so abusive tbh.
Without agreeing or disagreeing, I'm just throwing this out there as an actual source of information rather than people simply posting their opinions:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/star-trek-online
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-04-2010, 10:10 AM
Quote:
First of all, Star Trek is far from the most popular IP on the planet. In fact, before the JJ Abrams movie (to which this game doesn't correspond) darn near everybody was ready to stick a fork in it and declare it done a couple years ago. Even the JJ Abrams was a modest success. It made less money than the poorest performing of the Star Wars prequels. STO is doing as well as it is because of the remaining popularity of an aging franchise.

Secondly, you're primarily discussing PVP. PVP is pretty far removed from the IP. It just is. I can't think of a single episode or movie that corresponds to any of the PVP scenarios that we have in game. That's reality. And that reality is why Star Trek game have, by and large, done pretty poorly in the past. Games are about combat and continuous action, whereas Star Trek, most of the time, is about reasoning one's way through moral quandaries for example.

I'm not arguing, in any way, that PVP shouldn't be in the game or that we shouldn't have an open pvp sector. I want both. But in terms of having a robust and successful PVP game, the Star Trek IP isn't that much of a draw.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-04-2010, 06:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMiracle View Post
First of all, Star Trek is far from the most popular IP on the planet. In fact, before the JJ Abrams movie (to which this game doesn't correspond) darn near everybody was ready to stick a fork in it and declare it done a couple years ago. Even the JJ Abrams was a modest success. It made less money than the poorest performing of the Star Wars prequels. STO is doing as well as it is because of the remaining popularity of an aging franchise.
The franchise was oversaturated by the time Enterprise was in production, and even before the show went into production, many fans were calling for a break from the Trek franchise. Even Berman & Braga knew very well the franchise needed a rest.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-05-2010, 05:36 AM
Quote:
Not bashing you here... but you should also know that 90% of what is posted on any forum is negative, whining, or complaints. People with good things to say usually dont post. Only those looking for an outlet to vent.

With that said I 100% aggree with your second sentance I quoted. Thats why Im still here as well.... I like what I have seen of this game SO FAR. Im willing to give it a year or two to mature. But I will say I had a fleet of over 30 ACTIVE players (and 20 or so that came in and out) for the first few months this game was out. Im now down to 3-5 ACTIVE players (meaning they play at least every other day) ......

STO is fun.... but the grind does tend to get old.
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-05-2010, 05:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWinkie View Post
Not bashing you here... but you should also know that 90% of what is posted on any forum is negative, whining, or complaints. People with good things to say usually dont post. Only those looking for an outlet to vent.

With that said I 100% aggree with your second sentance I quoted. Thats why Im still here as well.... I like what I have seen of this game SO FAR. Im willing to give it a year or two to mature. But I will say I had a fleet of over 30 ACTIVE players (and 20 or so that came in and out) for the first few months this game was out. Im now down to 3-5 ACTIVE players (meaning they play at least every other day) ......

STO is fun.... but the grind does tend to get old.
If CO is any indication, at least it'll be F2P in six months.
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-07-2010, 04:04 PM
Quote:
That makes no sense.... you're telling him he should just enjoy the game when he is telling us he doesn't enjoy the game anymore? He reached max level twice, and he is saying he wants to quit for the 2nd time now because he DOESN"T enjoy the game after hitting max level. He should just suck it up and pretend he enjoys it anyways?