Lt. Commander
I play STO casually, to the point that i just got enough Computer Core fragments today to play Salvage Dispute. I was so happy. Then i played the mission, and i failed because i went around destroying all the turrets in preperation for attacking the Cardassian base, and the ship warped out. My own damn fault.

At this point i was still fine, i thought that i could just restart the mission, but no, turns out that in order to restart the mission, i need another 10 computer cores. a months work, wasted. the real kicker is that exam time for me is coming up, and today was my day to play STO, after this, my STO playing is going to be a lot more inconsistent, and i'm so frustrated and angry with myself that i'm actually about to go out on a walk to take my mind off things (It's minus -11 C right now).

Sorry for the ramble, but what i guess what i'm trying to say, that if we do get all 10 fragments, can you at least let us play the mission until we've succeeded in finishing it? If that were the case, I would have taken that failure with a laugh and not be banging my head against my desk right now.
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-09-2010, 09:36 AM
I've had this exact same issue and now I don't bother with this mission. Much like with STFs, Cryptic seems to lack some understanding that a "Hard" mission doesn't have to be frustrating.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-09-2010, 09:51 AM
While I understand your issues I don't see much point in having missions that can be failed (and there's only a couple in the game at this point) if they can just be instantly restarted without penalty. Mission failure with some type of real consequences is something we've been asking for a long time.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-09-2010, 11:35 AM
How would you feel about a 1-hour to 1-Day cool down timer on the mission in case of failure? That way there still is a penalty, however the person doesn't have to play the “Defense Contract” mission another 5 times because of a mistake?

I understand your desire for STO to be a more difficult game, however STO at the end of the day is a game, and the purpose of a game is to have fun, and to me personally, learning that i would have replay that mission another 5 times was one of the most unfun moments I've had in STO.

It wouldn't have been so bad if the “Defense Contract” wasn't a daily repeatable, or if the other Cardassian dailies in the Neutral Zone also dropped Computer Cores, but i do think that a penalty of approximately 5 days is a bit much.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-09-2010, 11:43 AM
How often it's repeatable depends entirely on how often you do the dailies, and how much fun you have getting them is different from person to person. Either way, even having a chance at the mission once every 5 days is better then not having it at all, IMO. Of course what's 5 days for you could be 3 or 4 days, or 9-10 days) for someone else too. Either way it's one of the few missions in the game that has a failure option. If someone can't deal with failing it they should simply not attempt it, IMO, much like the STFs.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-09-2010, 01:58 PM
There seems to be some confusion, so let me try to clear up some points:

1. I do have fun doing the dailies and think that the daily missions and the feature episodes are the best thing that the STO team has done post-launch. In fact, i wish all sector blocks had a different assortment of repeatable dailies. What I am bemoaning is the time investment that is lost.

2. I have no intention of not beating this mission. If it takes me another year, and another 10 failed attempts I will beat it. And, in fact, since i know where i went wrong, i am 95% confident that my next attempt will be a success since I will have adapted my strategy.

3. I am no longer saying that a punishment should not be in place, but the punishment should be reduced. What I am now suggesting is a compromise of a 1-day cooldown timer on the mission in case of a failure. This still gives a price to pay in case you fail, but you can still repeat the mission in a reasonable amount of time.

5. The 5-day time approximation was based on that there is an average of 2 Cores dropped per attempt, with a person playing that mission once a day. It personally took me 6 missions which i did over a month, and the quickest time you could do it, assuming a 2 core drop per completion, is 4 days and 4 hours.

Again, not saying that there shouldn't be a price, but that the price is currently too high IMHO.