Lt. Commander
# 1 Ideas for Season 4 PVP
12-13-2010, 11:57 AM
I would like to see a ladder ranking system, put in, so as to make each game played have more meaning. There should be ranked and unranked game types.
Also an easy setup system, to allow fleets to get together and battle pvp in tournaments.
I would also like to see more maps and scenarios.
examples include.
1. Space and ground battle, all in one battle. ( To see who is better at both together ) winner in
space battle may receive benefits for the ground battle.
2. Ring or Pit Scenarios. Where each team sits on the side lines and picks 1 member to
battle in the ring or pit, at a time, while the others watch. Once 1 loses another 2 are picked.
3. Capture the flag or king of the hill.

Also player created maps from the foundry for pvp, or challenges would be nice too.
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-13-2010, 11:58 AM
Capture the flag would be fantastic.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-13-2010, 01:17 PM
I thought about using a ranking system as well (as I'm sure many others have), but I kept coming back to one major drawback - lack of a sufficiently large Player Base.

I'm sure anyone who has played a certain popular MMO has looked at how it works there. The difference is they have dozens of servers, each with thousands/tens of thousands of players, each of which is linked through their PvP/"Arena" system.

Instead, what I was pondering the other night was a system where based on certain triggers, debuffs/buffs would be added to a player.
Examples:
  • If player A remains alive for X amount of time, they receive a damage resistance debuff
  • If player A continues to survive, then for every Y amount of time beyond X, additional debuff(s) are applied
  • If player B continues to die repeatedly without getting any kills, then a damage resistance buff is applied
  • See second point, but apply to player B, and add a buff instead of debuff

Basically at some point the best players among us will get a more level playing field with those not so PvP gifted.

I for one would love the challenge of fighting against the odds the longer I continue to survive.

Now, the points I made are only a few example, and I'm sure the community here could play off that and come up with more ideas along the same line.

I just think we need to keep in mind the current population of the game, and how we can continue to have as much of the players interacting with one another as possible.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-13-2010, 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janko
I thought about using a ranking system as well (as I'm sure many others have), but I kept coming back to one major drawback - lack of a sufficiently large Player Base.

I'm sure anyone who has played a certain popular MMO has looked at how it works there. The difference is they have dozens of servers, each with thousands/tens of thousands of players, each of which is linked through their PvP/"Arena" system.

Instead, what I was pondering the other night was a system where based on certain triggers, debuffs/buffs would be added to a player.
Examples:
  • If player A remains alive for X amount of time, they receive a damage resistance debuff
  • If player A continues to survive, then for every Y amount of time beyond X, additional debuff(s) are applied
  • If player B continues to die repeatedly without getting any kills, then a damage resistance buff is applied
  • See second point, but apply to player B, and add a buff instead of debuff

Basically at some point the best players among us will get a more level playing field with those not so PvP gifted.

I for one would love the challenge of fighting against the odds the longer I continue to survive.

Now, the points I made are only a few example, and I'm sure the community here could play off that and come up with more ideas along the same line.

I just think we need to keep in mind the current population of the game, and how we can continue to have as much of the players interacting with one another as possible.
IF there was a ranking system it would make pvp, more popular and attract more players to it. Sort of like what Star crafts ranking system did to Star Craft.

Getting special bonus in combat is not a good idea. IT is already hard enough to balance pvp, without adding new things to screw it up.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-13-2010, 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheYak
Capture the flag would be fantastic.
so long as its not like cod black ops on nuketown.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-13-2010, 05:42 PM
how is this for a change?

Firstly change the scoring system in Capture and Hold matches to add scoring for every "Strategic" point that you own. make the points go up as the opposing faction loses score.

this should change capture and hold gameplay to something a lot more strategic, and hopefully make it feel like it is not an excuse to rack up over 1 million damage.

secondly- add more PvP game modes.

I have already thrown in a suggestion, and there are a couple more suggestions that also had similar merit. A more fun and interactive PvP will draw in more PvP enthusiasts.

and i would also ask to add changes such as forcing all members of the same faction onto teams- so they can better interact and communicate. Also adding a chat channel for each faction/house/squadron would also benefit for the games with more than 5 players. this will help make communication better in the PvP matches