Lt. Commander
I have two questions concerning conversations with NPC's. I understand the Foundry is new and that many intended features are not yet available.

Is there currently a way to have an extended dialogue with an NPC, where you are given a list of questions you can ask the NPC along with a list of answers?

Also, is there currently a way to create a 'multiple choice' response list for an NPC's question and be able to determine the NPC's response depending on the answer? I can see something like that being useful in a First Contact mission or perhaps in a mission where you have to rescue someone who crashed on a planet with a pre-warp civilization and there is no way to avoid encountering the locals. This is something I don't know if the Dev's intend for the Foundry, so if they don't, consider it a suggestion please?

Thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-16-2010, 04:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosvik
I have two questions concerning conversations with NPC's. I understand the Foundry is new and that many intended features are not yet available.

Is there currently a way to have an extended dialogue with an NPC, where you are given a list of questions you can ask the NPC along with a list of answers?
in a word- no

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosvik
Also, is there currently a way to create a 'multiple choice' response list for an NPC's question and be able to determine the NPC's response depending on the answer? I can see something like that being useful in a First Contact mission or perhaps in a mission where you have to rescue someone who crashed on a planet with a pre-warp civilization and there is no way to avoid encountering the locals. This is something I don't know if the Dev's intend for the Foundry, so if they don't, consider it a suggestion please?

Thanks!
once again- that feature is presently unavailable, however it is on their to do list iirc
Lt. Commander
# 3 Decisions
01-14-2011, 11:45 AM
It´s quite a relating question:
Is there (or actually will be) there an option for choices/decisions?

e.g. A ship has been attacked. In the debre, klingon weapon signatures are detected. Later on you hail a klingon bird of prey and have 2 options:
a) "You are responsable we have prove!"
- in reality orion pirats have stolen klingon weapons. by blaming the klingons prematurely you fail th mission
b) "We believe in your word that you are not responsable for the attack"
- which continues the mission

I assume its not possible yet. But the question is, is it on the agenda. Or if not: Woudn´t it be cool?
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-15-2011, 02:02 AM
Its a bit tricky ... you can place various "vulcanic flowers" under the npc and interact with them...

Have do it on my german story line created with the foundry.

I use 1 Konsole but can absolve 3 Tasks - Normally its only possible, to absolve 1 tast on 1 konsole.

So i have added 2 more flower with the last 2 needed options. i have placed it by -6 so you will not see the flower but access is possible.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-15-2011, 05:45 AM
tell me more about it.

Once you have multiple interactions what can you do with it?

Multiple text answers or more?

Is there anywhere a button/option to fail the mission if you do x wrong?
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-15-2011, 06:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Sheridan
tell me more about it.

Once you have multiple interactions what can you do with it?

Multiple text answers or more?

Is there anywhere a button/option to fail the mission if you do x wrong?
Last question: No. First questions: Please see this tutorial. There is a lot that you can do with multiple interactions with NPCs using hidden objects that create differing paths. It isn't branching dialogue or a fail option, but it might be what you're looking for.

Basically, I show you how to approach an NPC, make a choice about "Ask about X," "Ask about Y," and "Ask about Z." Each choice unfolds a separate series of popups, object interactions, etc.

I hope that it helps: http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/sto...ues-the-cheat/
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-15-2011, 09:01 AM
Yes it helps!

It gives some nice options for multiple answers and some non-linear way of dealing with the story.

I´ve also seen tutorials of the foundry in youtube. In fact that was the final reason why i joined Star Trek online.

You got a lot more tutorials on youtube i am gonna view them.

Still i am sad that there is no "choice-and-consequence" option in the foundry (yet?)

I suppose writting "you have failed the mission, please exit" is the next thing to do that kind of storytelling.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-15-2011, 05:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Sheridan View Post
Yes it helps! It gives some nice options for multiple answers and some non-linear way of dealing with the story.
I'm glad you've found some help with this tutorial, however, the non-linearity of the dialog is only an illusion because eventually to proceed with the objectives and thus resolve the mission, the player must go through every dialog option. That's all we have for now.

Quote:
Still i am sad that there is no "choice-and-consequence" option in the foundry (yet?)
Cryptic is just now starting to toy with the possibilities so it's on the Foundry road map, but we'll have to wait a long time, in my opinion.

Quote:
I suppose writing "you have failed the mission, please exit" is the next thing to do that kind of storytelling.
I really advise against that kind of dialog, story-writing or even thinking. MMO's aren't built with failure in mind, and that's how players want it actually. Don't let all the talk about challenge convince you otherwise.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-15-2011, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
Last question: No. First questions: Please see this tutorial. There is a lot that you can do with multiple interactions with NPCs using hidden objects that create differing paths. It isn't branching dialogue or a fail option, but it might be what you're looking for.

Basically, I show you how to approach an NPC, make a choice about "Ask about X," "Ask about Y," and "Ask about Z." Each choice unfolds a separate series of popups, object interactions, etc.

I hope that it helps: http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/sto...ues-the-cheat/
This is exactly what I'm working on.

But I foresee a problem going this route.

Choosing 1 task over another, does not auto-complete the other 2 tasks so said mission is complete.

I am working on a multi-choice group quest.

Given the difficulty level of my mission. I seriously doubt people want to do all 3 parts because the missions are quite difficult and will not be possible to solo.

Is there a way to "auto-complete" other quest choices such that the overall quest self destructs without forcing players to do the other 2 paths?
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-15-2011, 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eirxia View Post
This is exactly what I'm working on.

But I foresee a problem going this route.

Choosing 1 task over another, does not auto-complete the other 2 tasks so said mission is complete.

I am working on a multi-choice group quest.

Given the difficulty level of my mission. I seriously doubt people want to do all 3 parts because the missions are quite difficult and will not be possible to solo.

Is there a way to "auto-complete" other quest choices such that the overall quest self destructs without forcing players to do the other 2 paths?
If I understand what you're asking, then it's not possible if the quest is in the story tab. But, if it involves a fetch question, like choose which princess to save, then it is possible by setting the other quest objects to go invis if the player picks the other. Please check out parts 5 and 6 of my Triggers series. It's probably not a great fit for the exact thing that you're trying to do, but it could help.