Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
Ok,

First lemme just say, everyone has done crazy things in the span of their life right?

Yet some things just seem a little overboard....

Here in Alaska the liquor stores close at 2 AM at the latest in most places.....but 45-50 miles away they stay open till 5 AM.

In the villiages (small eskimo communities not accessable by road) they are dry villiages (no alcohol allowed hence illegal) When they fly into Anchorage some of them are willing to pay a total of $270 USD round trip to drive out to the Valley where the stores are open till 5 AM rather than wait 7 hours for the ones in town (often within walking distance) to open.

Would you blow $270 USD to take a cab out to the middle of nowhere in the fridged winter for a bottle of loud mouth soup? Or wait?

Just saw a guy do this, and it bowls me away how badly they want to drink. Keep in mind this 50 min cab ride one way doesn't include how much the booze is.

Up here there are many dangers to driving the highways in winter

You could hit a moose
get pulled over
go into the ditch and be stuck for a good couple hours...

Whats the most insane thing you have seen someone do?

ATM this tops my list of lack of common sense.

And you?
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-16-2010, 04:26 AM
Living in England the craziest thing I've ever seen is someone eating their main course with the salad fork. Can you believe that?

The barbarian!
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-16-2010, 04:29 AM
I eat fried moose liver with my hands...does that count?
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-16-2010, 04:30 AM
To stay on the subject of booze and English people,

The English booze gets shipped to france a lot.
the English all step on the ferry following the booze.
Than once I france at the port there are HUGE warhouses full of it
English buy their own booze back
Each crappy food (Damn you are in france at least eat something good)
Step on the ferry again
head back to the uk

result: A nice day out and even with the ferry+food you are out cheaper than if they brought it in the UK.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-16-2010, 04:36 AM
First off... I'd just wait... Booze is never worth that much...

Secondly: Most insane thing i've ever seen someone do:

There was this one guy, we all knew he was nuts but he is a good guy, and the first real winter we had in years, there was a party at my place.

For some reason he had brought some plantlife he wanted to eat and share with others (He's a good guy, and has dropped the plants in question after much pressure from his freinds and relatives btw).
So no one else wanted to eat the plants in question, so he felt he "had to eat them himself"... and after 5 hours of (well lets be honest: extreme) drinking and eating he suddenly drops all his cloths claiming there were "blue chickens crawling all over it", ran out the front door (yes... winter with snow everywhere, and he was butt naked).

So me and a few mates after him, to catch him, he runs through most of the village we lived in, screaming that the chickens were hunting him, finally climbing onto a container, where he was sitting and crying untill we finally convinced him to take a on a blanket that a innocent vitness to the whole scenario had gotten for us and come home.

Needless to say, he did put his head out of his home for three weeks, out of pure embarrasment.

The morale of the story:
Plantlife that in any way makes you see blue chickens = Bad...
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-16-2010, 04:53 AM
I once tested the breaks on my bike. Lets just say pedalling full speed downhill towards a red light, then slamming on the breaks less than a foot from the intersection proves that the breaks work very well. It also gave a practical demonstration of physics. Considering I managed to hold onto the bike and have it land on the road in front of me, I came out of that lucky.

I've seen people cross the street without looking, because they were in a crosswalk, "I have the right of way they have to stop" That excuse is within too dumb to live territory.

As for the paying ridiculous amounts of money for stuff you don't need. I'm guilty so I can't really comment on the stupidity of spending 250$+ to get some alcohol, although I definately wouldn't.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-16-2010, 05:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertwin View Post
I've seen people cross the street without looking, because they were in a crosswalk, "I have the right of way they have to stop" That excuse is within too dumb to live territory.
Somebody got hit doing that near where I work about a month or two ago. She was walking against the "Don't Walk/Walk" signal (it was on "Don't Walk") and was half way across when she got hit by a dump truck.

As for spending $270 on a cab ride for booze in incliment weather - well, since I don't drink, obviously not. Heck, I wouldn't do it even if I was desperate for neccessities. - well, maybe if I was desperate enough.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-16-2010, 05:01 AM
I usually work nights.....so Im up till the wee hours of the morning anyway.

My driver and myself worked in this business next to a field where sea birds would nest in the summer. On the opposite side of the field was a cheap hotel. In the back of the field is a 4X4 off road/trail that big custom trucks would get stuck in the mud on a regular basis in their attempt to go down the trail to the hotel which connects to a major through way.

Now picture it.....5 AM, the sun is high in the sky because in Alaska in the summer the sun never really truly goes down.

My driver and I are smoking cigerettes and BS'ing about this and that...when what to our wondering eyes did appear?

But a call girl dressed in fishnet stockings, a mini skirt, and a low cut blouse with the whole hooker theme going on. She was also wearing high heels BTW. Anyhoo, she is walking along this muddy trail constantly loosing her footing next to this huge field where the sea birds nest.

Next thing you know the sea birds start dive bombing her because she is walking too close to the nest area. it's 5 AM and quiet until this point where she starts waving her arms wildly and cussing like a sailor for the entire time she is walking along this trail....about 100 yards or so.

By the time she gets to where im working she looks like she slept under a bus and smells of bird doo. Her hair is a mess and she walks in like nothing happened and buys the weirdest items from our little shop thats open to the public next to our business. She purchases new stockings, chewing gum, twinkies, lip balm, Q-tips, a diet coke, and a jar of peanut butter.

At this point it is obvious she has broken one of her heels and messed up her attire just to shave minutes by walking through this trail rather than using a sidewalk adjacent to the field (where there are no birds).

10 minutes later a white Lincoln Town car pulls up with obnoxious white wall tires and tinted windows. A short bald african guy in a fur coat with an eye patch and a cane gets out of the car (her pimp) and starts cussing at her to get in the car. Then speeds off. A fur coat? Did I mention it was summer?

Funniest dam thing I ever saw........He glared at me while I was laughing and I gave him the finger on his way out.
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-16-2010, 09:38 AM
The house next door to me has eaten 7 families over the past 15 months. People move in and don't make it out. Detailed here...
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-16-2010, 10:15 AM