Lt. Commander
...are viable, and which are not?

Enterprise, Excelsior, Defiant, Voyager are all common sense, they're the name sake vehicle of three shows, and all four are prominent figures in canon.

But what about other names that are restricted, such as Monitor? So it was mentioned in book, ok, but so was Challenger, and it's available. As is Prometheus itself, and that even got on screen time.

I've seen an NPC USS Columbia and a player USS Columbia side by side in game, so I don't think it's that...

So how do the Devs determine which names are acceptable and which are not?
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-18-2010, 12:43 PM
Can't really take your post seriously, USS normandy location srsly and your complaining about name stealing.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-18-2010, 12:46 PM
Cryptic doesn't: CBS does. All of the "Hero" ships are restricted. Everything else is fair game.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-18-2010, 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash-Brewster View Post
Can't really take your post seriously, USS normandy location srsly and your complaining about name stealing.
Actually Normandy was the random name I got on my Akira.

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion1701 View Post
Cryptic doesn't: CBS does. All of the "Hero" ships are restricted. Everything else is fair game.
That's what I thought as well, but in trying a couple of different names for various ships I've found them blocked, and not just the obvious Hero ships either. Hence the curiosity with regards to the standards.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~InfoNinja
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-18-2010, 01:16 PM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~InfoNinja
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-18-2010, 01:31 PM
Also happened to be the site of a bloody battle not too far into the past. A suitable name for a ship, Mass Effect not withstanding. Don't try to enforce an argument so unbelievably thin.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-18-2010, 01:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexsam View Post
So not only are you using the most cliche ship name possible since the release of Mass Effect, you so unoriginal that you couldn't even come up with it on your own?
This reminds me of the people who were saying the USS Asgard was a Stargare reference.

I'd wager there are quite a few people here who have never played Mass Effect (or watched Stargare).
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-18-2010, 01:57 PM
Quote:
So not only are you using the most cliche ship name possible since the release of Mass Effect, you so unoriginal that you couldn't even come up with it on your own?
On the contrary my Defiant's name is Dauntless, i just didn't get around to updating my forum profile. but if it enrages the trolls maybe I'll keep it.
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-19-2010, 08:34 AM
I think the fun comes from using ship names that might mean something to the individual or as an inside joke. My first character all had ships that made reference to the band Genesis -- both musicians in the band and songs. It was enjoyable to fly around in the USS Gabriel or USS Salmacis because I figured no one else would be doing that.
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-19-2010, 01:07 PM
Quote:
do you have nothing better to do then attempt to insult people? do you not have good enough internet connection to go play the game and stop being annoying.