Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 Learn to Use Team Chat
12-18-2010, 11:42 PM
After playing both Feds and Klingons, I've seen now why Klingons supposedly always have the upper hand - they team up, communicate, and they know exactly what they're going to do and when they're going to do it when SHTF. This NEVER happens with the Feds. We just sit there, cower within the hulls of our cruisers, and the escorts we need so much to dish out damage run amok and get destroyed. Instead of all these calls to dumb down klingon ships and characters, why not better the strategy and work together instead of just sitting in one spot and doing our own thing. The Klinks can't do anything to the feds that the feds can't do to them. If they wan't to focus fire, return the favor or come together to keep the one getting attacked alive. Cryptic has done a good job of making sure both factions are balanced and has its own distinct advantages and disadvantages to make for fair gameplay. If you don't like teamwork, just do PVE and do replay missions til you get bored. I may be wrong about this, but from what I have seen, the word team isn't in the ship computer systems on federation starships.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
12-19-2010, 12:14 AM
While this is a rather old truth by now, you are of cause right.

But it won't happen... In the end you have to realized that FED players (i mean the core player) don't care for constant battle, but are more interested in exploration and mind games.
But some of thoose don't realize that, so they head into PvP expecting the enemy to be as easy as elite PvE, so they can head off on their own (unlike your statement, I honestly belive that ALL types of fed players scatter the second their ship spawns... not just escorts).

There are very few Hardcore FED PvP players, and thoose there are rarely have a proper active fleet to join up with.

While your intentions are good, I am affraid that you will find mostly death ears. This is the way it is, and it will remain that way for a long time to come.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
12-19-2010, 01:48 AM
Don't PUG, join a Fleet.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
12-19-2010, 05:48 AM
in gen majority use voice chat; ventrillo, teamspeak, mumble etc and when puggin it can sometimes be a hassle to get a new person on the servers esp in pvp situations so they only talk with those already there and just those work together.

imo a smart player team will not need chat if they use thier eyes to moniter team health location and status and adapt to the situations. only critical info needs to be spoken really.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
12-19-2010, 05:54 AM
Like xTH3xR34P3Rx said. If you watch a PvP video on YouTube, the ones where they have VOIP enabled, there is very little talk. Most of the time they watch for who everyone else fires at while they keep an eye on their teams condition monitors.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
12-19-2010, 06:11 AM
It's quite simple. Those who wanted to play a Star Trek MMO rolled Feds and never looked back. Those who just want to PVP in any game on the market rolled Klingons and are somehow surprised that the Federation is off playing the Star Trek game that they wanted to play.

The programmers all-but ruled out the need for any sort of cohesive team play by insisting that AI team mates be a staple of the game. Those Fed players who are old enough to remember Star Trek TOS in it's original TV outing have, for the most part, probably never played an MMO before, and they think the way STO works is the MMO standard.

MMOs are a new medium to these people, a medium they're only interested in now because this one is Star Trek-related. They have no concept of teaming up with groups of players to achieve victory, either in PVE or PVP, so they don't.

These are Star Trek fans, not MMORPG fans, and they're happy to be off doing their own thing with their AI away team and scalable encounter difficulty. Leave them to it. You'll never change their outlook on the game.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
12-22-2010, 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xth3xr34p3rx View Post
in gen majority use voice chat; ventrillo, teamspeak, mumble etc and when puggin it can sometimes be a hassle to get a new person on the servers esp in pvp situations so they only talk with those already there and just those work together.

imo a smart player team will not need chat if they use thier eyes to moniter team health location and status and adapt to the situations. only critical info needs to be spoken really.
A lot of people hate using voice in game, myself included. It dimishes roleplay and why do I want to hear some 12 year old belching, farting, talking in a high pitched voice, arguing with someone on the phone while their mic is left on, etc.? Thanks but no thanks. I wish people would stop being so lazy and use text chat more. I understand voice chat has benefits for speed, but honestly it's not all it's cracked up to be. Further voice chat is additional overhead and on people's computers who can already not afford to lose further performance just to play the game, it adds yet more complexity and resource drain (regardless of how minimal). I also agree that in a lot of situations chat isn't really necessary if people pay attention and do what needs to be done.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8 Lazy? say what?
12-23-2010, 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindee
I wish people would stop being so lazy and use text chat more. I understand voice chat has benefits for speed, but honestly it's not all it's cracked up to be.
Pew pew...pause...TYPE, TYPE, TYPE.....RESPAWN in 15.....

Lazy has nothing to do with it because now I just killed you. Even minimal voice communication is much more efficient than text communication unless EVERYTHING you have to say is linked to a keybind. I have about 6 fleets vent info, 2 fleets by TS and others on Skype. I don't know about you, but my hands are otherwise busy alpha striking every 15 seconds.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
12-27-2010, 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJAJ1330
After playing both Feds and Klingons, I've seen now why Klingons supposedly always have the upper hand - they team up, communicate, and they know exactly what they're going to do and when they're going to do it when SHTF. This NEVER happens with the Feds. We just sit there, cower within the hulls of our cruisers, and the escorts we need so much to dish out damage run amok and get destroyed..
I am sorry, but that is just very over exaggerated.

I have played on the klingon side and witnessed exactly what you say is only prominent on the fed side. They are not that organized, they do not always communicate, and they do not always know 'exactly' what they are doing.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
12-28-2010, 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerubian_Assasin1
I have played on the klingon side and witnessed exactly what you say is only prominent on the fed side. They are not that organized, they do not always communicate, and they do not always know 'exactly' what they are doing.
Seems to depend on the level range. To be honest, I've seen both factions become more and more equal in terms of teamplay, likely because there's quite a few Klingons going Fed and Feds going Klingon. I maintain that there is still a noticeable gap and that it will likely remain (due to the simple fact that Fed gameplay is more focused on PvE).

It's a lottery in what kind of team you end up with, but so far chances are slightly better when you're KDF. I have seen and fought uncoordinated Klingon teams with my Fed Tactical as well, though. And I got pwned on KDF-side by Starfleet teams with superior teamplay - though I wouldn't go as far and say that my team sucked in those instances, we were just not on the same level.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:18 AM.