I want to know what is being done to resolve this problem. I have sent in a bug report and I have asked for GM help. So far, I have not heard anything about the problem. I would like to get this resolved.
I have been checking the forum all day and everyday for several days. I do not see anything posted on the foundry maintenance.
...When I log into the foundry and try to load up my project, the game will go to load up the project with the meter. It will act like it is loading and then it stops. Then it comes knocks me out of the workbench and returns an error message that says 'Map Closed or Map Crashed'.
Since Thursday, when it first occurred, the test server has been restarted two times, there was some maintenance done on the servers this morning, and I think there was a patch. None of these things cleared out the message, and I still have the problem.
I would like to know, what is going on with the problem.
Day 5....the mission map is not assessable. I have rechecked the mission to day after the patch and I cannot access the project.
Hate to say it, but:
Welcome to Beta
Things like this happen in betas. Data gets corrupted, etc. You may want to actually file a GM ticket, or PM one of the Foundry Devs; but, don't be surprised if the answer is:
Sorry, delete the project and start over. Again, that's why it's a beta. As lomng as you see the beta tag attached, you can expect all sorts of stuff like this. And again, they will probably look and fix th issue that caused the data corruption (so it doesn't happen in the future); but they probably won't waste time trying to recover data that's going to be wiped at some point.
And if this type of thing is too frustrating or annoying to take; wait until the tool is out of the beta phase (I'd say, 2 to 6 months down the line.)
Again, not trying to be nasty per se - but there is definitely a reason the Devs have gone out of their way to point out - The Foundry is in an Open Beta test phase (and by all indications will still be for a time once it's transferred to Holodeck - where you'll have to redo what you did on Tribble from scratch anyway (they aren't going to port things over between the servers.)
So, try to just take it in stride - and do what you can to manually back up your work (i use the <prtscr> key, <Ctrl><V> and your favorite paint program to create screen shots of your costume, and vavious map setting and elements - or write them down, etc. oce you've got something you like and want to keep.
In a beta, nothing's safe. Again, if they can they'll fix the issue that caused corruption so it won't happen in the future; but they rarely will try to uncorrupt individual things as the time is better spent fixing the bugs you're exposing in the beta do they can more on to the next phase of beta, or better, decide the tool is stable/robust enough to be the initial fully Live version.
Please understand this is a pre release Beta verson with lots of bugs, and as so from time to time things don't work great . It might help to change your Options before you log in and put in your password to U.S. Proxy . The EU proxy has been know to have bugs.
It's not on one of the broken maps listed in the Known Issues stickied thread in this forum, is it?
Originally Posted by Terramak
• Stay away from the following maps: Starbase 24 and Kassae Ground have no map, making it difficult to place objects. They will be disabled in the next build. Coral Clearing and Alien Mountains 01 may disconnect your client if you attempt to use these maps.
If not, can you recall which map(s) you used? Test them in another build and see if there is a pattern with the map(s) that needs to be identified to the Devs.
Well...if I go ahead and delete it...then it will do nothing to solve the problem.
The first step is to identify a problem.
The second step is for someone to confirm that it is a actual problem. A user generated issue is not necessarily a problem.I do not know if it is something I did, is it something the server did, or a combination of the two.
Prior to deleting the project, I require confirmation that it is a problem. I understand and know what beta is for. However, If I blindly go and delete the problem without any communication from STO, then there will be no resolution to the issue. The purpose of this thread is to create a diary to document the problem until the developers respond.
I have already begun work to remake the project into another project in the event that the problem cannot be resolved. However, I must wait for communication and confirmation that it is a problem.
I have sent in a bug report in the game and I have sent in a request for a GM. I have also posted a thread in the forum.
Also, it is day 6 and there was a patch this morning and some maintenance, but I still have the same problem.