Lt. Commander
# 1 Path-finding
12-22-2010, 02:04 AM
I know this has been said before but i really hope this is fixes soon. Interior path-finding is horrible right now. This feature above all really has to be fixed before it goes live in my opinion.
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-23-2010, 12:23 PM
Can you please elaborate? How is it horrible? What is happening?
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-23-2010, 12:30 PM
I'll help if i can. Your BO's get hung up going thru doors, corners, or even navigating around pillars or crates in maps. They also tend to shoot at enemies thru walls.

It is sort of like the problems on the defari daily where you beam down and free the miners. When it was released, BO's got hung up in the mine corridors and such.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-23-2010, 12:34 PM
the bridge officers are getting stuck behind objects, or are firing through walls.

as you run into a room, its like the boff will start to turn too quickly as if they are trying to follow your main character regardless of what's in their way and will hit a wall or crate or something next to the archway and get stuck. you then have to come out of the room so they back up way from the doorway. It does not help that many maps have things lining the corridors edges giving boff's plenty of places to get stuck.

if there is a room with lots of consoles they will get stuck behind the consoles instead of running around it or jumping over it. if your lucky they sometimes shake themselves free but you often have to go back and get them.

if you run from one side of an interior map to the other you will be lucky if a single bo has made the journey with you unless you do it very slowly, and even then they still get caught on those sharp corners or small doorways.

they will also fire through walls and attack enemy units that are on the other side of the wall. this will then drag the enemy npc into the opposite wall.

this is similar to how the game was at launch as the path-finding in the main game was pretty bad at launch and then it got fixed around April time, but this is even worse than back then.

i know other players have had issues from feedback. hope that helps.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-23-2010, 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
the bridge officers are getting stuck behind objects, or are firing through walls.

as you run into a room, its like the boff will start to turn too quickly as if they are trying to follow your main character regardless of what's in their way and will hit a wall or crate or something next to the archway and get stuck. you then have to come out of the room so they back up way from the doorway. It does not help that many maps have things lining the corridors edges giving boff's plenty of places to get stuck.

if there is a room with lots of consoles they will get stuck behind the consoles instead of running around it or jumping over it. if your lucky they sometimes shake themselves free but you often have to go back and get them.

if you run from one side of an interior map to the other you will be lucky if a single bo has made the journey with you unless you do it very slowly, and even then they still get caught on those sharp corners or small doorways.

they will also fire through walls and attack enemy units that are on the other side of the wall. this will then drag the enemy npc into the opposite wall.

this is similar to how the game was at launch as the path-finding in the main game was pretty bad at launch and then it got fixed around April time, but this is even worse than back then.

i know other players have had issues from feedback. hope that helps.

+1

NPC pathing for BO's is WAY off on Foundry missions.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-23-2010, 04:25 PM
People, once moving move in a straight line. They don't adjust their heading. I don't know anyone that can log into Tribble and not experience this, especially in foundry missions making interior heavy foundry missions horrid to try out. BOs and NPCs...making testing pre-publish pretty hard as well...then there's the fact that I was on the Empok Nor map and targeting and firing upon mobs separated by a wall or three...
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-24-2010, 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroniusRex
Any kind of NPC pathing is virtually non-functional. In regular missions, it's firmly established what are solid objects on the map, such as terrain and walls, and the NPCs move around or through these without much difficulty generally. You also cannot target or shoot through them, same as the real world.

In Foundry missions, the pathing for NPCs is extremely messed up. Both NPCs and BOs have extreme difficulty in navigating anything more complex than open spaces. They get caught on numerous objects and just sit there without attempting to find a way around like they do on Holodeck. Additionally, what constitutes a "solid" object that would normally block shooting is grossly different, and it's entirely common to be able to shoot enemies (and have them shoot back) through walls and other terrain objects (again, doesn't happen on Holodeck). It's the general assumption of the community that these two problems are linked.

As it is, interior missions become exceedingly difficult because the player's BO's are unable to follow the player for more than a room or two, leaving the player to face the rest of the mission on their own. Any NPCs set to wander fail to do so and essentially just rub up against walls and other objects ad infinitum.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-24-2010, 12:26 PM
Heck fire an all, theres still slight issues on Holodeck regarding this as well. I'll have BO's that jump to the very top of a structure and not come down. Get stuck in the darndest places etc. etc.

Often I see it more on the Kling side. It just seems they get stuck.....or they're hiding from the enemy...with is an offense punishable by death.....

It really caught my attention on Tribble though, then I started seeing it more so on the holodeck side after S3 patch......weird as it is, it is kinda...well...comical in an ironic kind of "I just died cause my BO's are 3 blind mice" kinda way.
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-25-2010, 10:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allerka View Post
Any kind of NPC pathing is virtually non-functional. In regular missions, it's firmly established what are solid objects on the map, such as terrain and walls, and the NPCs move around or through these without much difficulty generally. You also cannot target or shoot through them, same as the real world.

In Foundry missions, the pathing for NPCs is extremely messed up. Both NPCs and BOs have extreme difficulty in navigating anything more complex than open spaces. They get caught on numerous objects and just sit there without attempting to find a way around like they do on Holodeck. Additionally, what constitutes a "solid" object that would normally block shooting is grossly different, and it's entirely common to be able to shoot enemies (and have them shoot back) through walls and other terrain objects (again, doesn't happen on Holodeck). It's the general assumption of the community that these two problems are linked.

As it is, interior missions become exceedingly difficult because the player's BO's are unable to follow the player for more than a room or two, leaving the player to face the rest of the mission on their own. Any NPCs set to wander fail to do so and essentially just rub up against walls and other objects ad infinitum.
This is my experience in playing any ground based Foundry made missions as well. This really needs to be improved BEFORE the Foundry goes to Holodeck imo; as it can make even a well written (story wise); and varied but thought out tasked ground mission a frustartion/nightmare to complete (and enjoy).
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-25-2010, 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroniusRex
Please play a ugc mission that happens on an interior. I suggest "Sleeper Agent," which is a fine mission until it shows just how borked AI is on interior maps. My crew tries to shoot through walls, and they just stand there, staring at enemies through the bulkheads. If you guys don't know about this, then I'm amazed. Please play a few ugc missions.