Lt. Commander
Alini Interior Map + Devidian (Capt3) spawn + Fekihri (Capt3) spawn = Crash to Desktop!!!

I think it's the ATI + Dynamic Lighting issue, but just in case, could people test this set-up and confirm it's my system and not STO?
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-27-2010, 02:58 PM
Where are the spawns placed? Are they in the same room? Which room?

Oh yeah, and what do your graphics settings look like? Do you get a Cryptic error handler? If yes, what's the number?

Thanks!

(I have an ATI card and I'm not experiencing your crash.)
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-27-2010, 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroniusRex
Where are the spawns placed? Are they in the same room? Which room?
They are overlapping spawns actually, and the problem vanished as soon as I remembered to turn off Dynamic Lighting. I didn't get a number out of the Cryptic error handler... didn't think to write it down as I figured it was sending everything to you guys anyway.

My graphic setup on STO is pretty demanding, I figure, with most everything set to high, max and all that, but it all goes to hell when Dynamic Lighting is turned on with the ATI card. When it's "off", everything works nicely, even 8x anti-aliasing, although that slows things down when there's too much going on.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-27-2010, 07:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroniusRex
(I have an ATI card and I'm not experiencing your crash.)
This is a well known issue. ATI card users experience crashes when the Dynamic Lighting setting is turned on. I have this issue and an ATI HD 5xxx series card. This thread even got a response from SuperCrypticDave in it but then nothing for months since.
http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=91678

This thread shows it's still a current issue, even with the latest AMD drivers:
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=123577

When people were testing the DirectX11 mode that was turned on early on Tribble when Season 3 first appeared, they reported that they got slightly better times before crashing - but they still crashed.

Most threads are about the crashes being inevitable if you play Starbase 24 - as a means of inducing a crash. I get the same thing when playing any Devidian mission - the special effects used by the Devidians turning everything blue, wavy and throwing flashing lights everywhere causes 100% crashing every time.

So I can't fathom why Cryptic or AMD haven't been able to reproduce this when you get multiple players saying the same thing and telling you how it happens. I have sent many error reports in too, even minidumps using the Cryptic Error tool.

One thing I've noticed though is that sometimes the Cryptic Error tool does not show up when this ATI crash occurs. E.g. I'm fighting Devidians and then suddenly I get a Windows error box appear and says "GameClient.exe has stopped working" and the game closes, without doing an error collection. So it's the game client crashing and not the graphics driver in those cases! So is the fault with AMD/ATI? Or the game?
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-27-2010, 11:34 PM
I have the same Problem with my Radeon HD 4870 ... i can leave dynamic lightning on if i set the maximum lights per object to 2 instead of the maximum of 5.

I do not believe anymore this will get fixed any time :/.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-28-2010, 01:53 AM
Same here, got a Radeon 5870 and have to keep the max lights at 2.

When I put it to 5 it will crash eventually
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-28-2010, 02:43 AM
Tried this 2 lights setting, but the game crashed anyway. Have to keep dynamic lightning turned off on my 6970. Too bad nothing happened about this issue since it was discovered. Makes me feel like a 2nd class customer for running a Radeon setup.

Please, Cryptic, fix this bug already.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-29-2010, 07:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactrix View Post
This is a well known issue. ATI card users experience crashes when the Dynamic Lighting setting is turned on. I have this issue and an ATI HD 5xxx series card. This thread even got a response from SuperCrypticDave in it but then nothing for months since.
http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=91678

This thread shows it's still a current issue, even with the latest AMD drivers:
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=123577

When people were testing the DirectX11 mode that was turned on early on Tribble when Season 3 first appeared, they reported that they got slightly better times before crashing - but they still crashed.

Most threads are about the crashes being inevitable if you play Starbase 24 - as a means of inducing a crash. I get the same thing when playing any Devidian mission - the special effects used by the Devidians turning everything blue, wavy and throwing flashing lights everywhere causes 100% crashing every time.

So I can't fathom why Cryptic or AMD haven't been able to reproduce this when you get multiple players saying the same thing and telling you how it happens. I have sent many error reports in too, even minidumps using the Cryptic Error tool.

One thing I've noticed though is that sometimes the Cryptic Error tool does not show up when this ATI crash occurs. E.g. I'm fighting Devidians and then suddenly I get a Windows error box appear and says "GameClient.exe has stopped working" and the game closes, without doing an error collection. So it's the game client crashing and not the graphics driver in those cases! So is the fault with AMD/ATI? Or the game?
OH MY FLIPPIN GAWD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that could be what is causing my ground crashes on my 4850.

I have gone through many a troubleshooter ticket, and got told to turn everything to default. when that failed, i dropped it below default manually, and voila.

I wanted tot est exactly what was causing it, but I ran out of patience.

My only problem now is that my settings are locked on tribble. I have very little access to grapichs settings
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-30-2010, 06:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by apt.pupil
OH MY FLIPPIN GAWD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that could be what is causing my ground crashes on my 4850.

I have gone through many a troubleshooter ticket, and got told to turn everything to default. when that failed, i dropped it below default manually, and voila.

I wanted tot est exactly what was causing it, but I ran out of patience.

My only problem now is that my settings are locked on tribble. I have very little access to grapichs settings
Tick the box to show advanced graphic settings to unlock everything.
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-30-2010, 06:43 AM
Sounds like a terrible problem... My PNY NVidia handles the dynamic lighting without much trouble... I believe I have it set at 5... I can see when it overloads and drops a particular effect but I never crash from graphic issues. I tried to cram a bunch of stacked dynamic lighting effects in most of my missions in order to test the limits. I have a Feklrhi Captain 3 encounter and can understand why you are having troubles... those guys use a lot of effects.

I also have used multiple race costumes for single and grouped encounters with Devidians, Feklhri, Borg, Changeling, Breen, Hirogen, Klingon, Reman, Naussican, Orion & Undine - However these were just skins over Reman Lieutenant Groups - So they did not use their original animations or FX but still functioned for me with no troubles.

It's unfortunate that you cannot see these FX and get crashes all the time and cannot see the wonderful Dynamic Lighting FX that are available... I hate to say it... but have you considered a Video Card Change?

If you are Serious about this particular game and Creating and Enjoying Spectacular Content - Perhaps that would be an easier Fix then waiting for a long standing problem to be fixed by a distant manufacturer or even less likely a re-vamp of STO FX from Cryptic.

It may be worth noting that I did melt my first NVidia Card shortly after Joining STO... I just went and bought a better one... not top of the line either & have been fine for 8 months or so... I have even considered upgrading my current one to avoid dropping any Dynamic Lighting FX as I can get some dropped frames going on easily in a combat scenario such as the end of Klingon Scout Force or Fighting in space around Defera.