Lt. Commander
OK, I think cryptic needs to watch a bit more Trek before writing such an obvious dig line into their scripts.
I was on a "First Contact" mission where the Ambassador asked me about the Prime Directive and how it
applies to prewarp cultures, I don't recall the exact verbiage but the jist of it was does the federation observe prewarp cultures. Their were three answer options, one of which was the federation doesn't do it, the second was they use holotechnology and the third was holotechnology with something else, I can't recall exacly what but suffice it to say that none of these answers was entirely correct.

There was a TNG episode, ironically by the title of "First Contact" where riker was injured while on a mission altered to look like the indigenous population of a prewarp society for the purpose of studying them
and to learn how they would react to a first contact.

I chose the third answer since neither of the first two fit at all and yet I still got it wrong as denoted by the
Ambassador rudly telling/asking me "Am I sure about that?"

Really cryptic? watch a few episodes would ya? heck, you can stream them online from this web site:
http://www.allstepisodes.com/

Hope this helps you write accurate scripts.
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-26-2010, 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USSZenica
OK, I think cryptic needs to watch a bit more Trek before writing such an obvious dig line into their scripts.
I was on a "First Contact" mission where the Ambassador asked me about the Prime Directive and how it
applies to prewarp cultures, I don't recall the exact verbiage but the jist of it was does the federation observe prewarp cultures. Their were three answer options, one of which was the federation doesn't do it, the second was they use holotechnology and the third was holotechnology with something else, I can't recall exacly what but suffice it to say that none of these answers was entirely correct.

There was a TNG episode, ironically by the title of "First Contact" where riker was injured while on a mission altered to look like the indigenous population of a prewarp society for the purpose of studying them
and to learn how they would react to a first contact.

I chose the third answer since neither of the first two fit at all and yet I still got it wrong as denoted by the
Ambassador rudly telling/asking me "Am I sure about that?"

Really cryptic? watch a few episodes would ya? heck, you can stream them online from this web site:

Hope this helps you write accurate scripts.

Pre-warp observation is covered in the episode "Who Watches The Watchers", about the Mintakans. 3rd season if I remember correctly.

THAT'S the one being referred to. Holotechnology is the right answer.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-26-2010, 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyGreggy
Pre-warp observation is covered in the episode "Who Watches The Watchers", about the Mintakans. 3rd season if I remember correctly.

THAT'S the one being referred to. Holotechnology is the right answer.
So they pick n choose what episodes/truths they want to use for the answers?
That method of writing scripts with multiple choice replies and merits based on the reply
chosen seems very flawed in my opinion. It seems like it has more to do with chance (the episode
or reference the script writer had in mind) or blind luck than actual "facts" (in the fictional sense).
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-26-2010, 11:28 AM
Quote:
That method of writing scripts with multiple choice replies and merits based on the reply
chosen seems very flawed in my opinion. It seems like it has more to do with chance (the episode
or reference the script writer had in mind) or blind luck than actual "facts" (in the fictional sense).
Malcor wasn't a pre-warp society. They'd invented the tech, they'd built the ship, they just hadn't launched it yet. That wasn't what the question was referring to. So "First Contact" is the wrong episode to think. "Who Watches The Watchers" is the right one. There are other questions that do the same thing, rely on a single episode for their focus - there's one referencing replicated meat, which goes all the way back to such an early episode that Tasha Yar is in it.

And as for your other point, the entire game is based on episodes of the Star Trek series and films. Each fact, plot point, character etc comes from a particular part in TOS, TNG, DS9, Voy or ENT. That's Cryptic's source material, and ours too. As in all tests and exams, the most important thing is to read and comprehend the question. It's unfortunate that your mind jumped to the wrong, albeit similar-ish, one, but it was only 10 Diplo xp lost when all's said and done.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-26-2010, 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyGreggy
Malcor wasn't a pre-warp society. They'd invented the tech, they'd built the ship, they just hadn't launched it yet. That wasn't what the question was referring to. So "First Contact" is the wrong episode to think. "Who Watches The Watchers" is the right one. There are other questions that do the same thing, rely on a single episode for their focus - there's one referencing replicated meat, which goes all the way back to such an early episode that Tasha Yar is in it.

And as for your other point, the entire game is based on episodes of the Star Trek series and films. Each fact, plot point, character etc comes from a particular part in TOS, TNG, DS9, Voy or ENT. That's Cryptic's source material, and ours too. As in all tests and exams, the most important thing is to read and comprehend the question. It's unfortunate that your mind jumped to the wrong, albeit similar-ish, one, but it was only 10 Diplo xp lost when all's said and done.
I have had this happen before with other FC missions. From now on, I will document the questions and available answer choices along with the actual choice I select. Only then can I be certain of what I suspect.
In one instance regarding Kahless, I went to the official Star Trek website for the answer. care to guess what cryptic thought of my selection? and that was based on information from the one source no one should contest.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-26-2010, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Pretty much exactly like all of Star Trek picks and chooses what it wants to be considered right and canon. Star Trek is full of continuity errors and rewrites of what is canon.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-26-2010, 05:54 PM
So your problem is that they put some effort into the missions, tried to give us a nice little easter egg of a mini game quiz, but it isn't specific enough for you? I'm sorry I'm just happy they didn't just stick us with some generic questions from the top of their heads.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-26-2010, 07:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleming86 View Post
So your problem is that they put some effort into the missions, tried to give us a nice little easter egg of a mini game quiz, but it isn't specific enough for you? I'm sorry I'm just happy they didn't just stick us with some generic questions from the top of their heads.
Correct, effort without result is not a complete passing grade.

It wasn't in high school, it wasn't in college or grad school and it isn't in the work place.
For us this is a game but it is their workplace which makes us, their client and as a client, I prefer not to accept mediocre stories and mini plots rife with errors.

It is of course your choice to accept it and be thankful while it is my choice to suggest they can and
should do better.
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-26-2010, 07:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleming86 View Post
I like the First Contact missions and that they actually require some knowledge of Star Trek. Haven't seen anything yet that seemed to go against established canon.