Lt. Commander
Sorry for the audio gliches here, but enjoy!

http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/unc...on-slave-girl/
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-08-2011, 05:21 PM
I can feel the gears in my head turning... I've already eliminated most of my NPC contacts... the rest will soon be gone...
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-08-2011, 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon_BlownApart
I can feel the gears in my head turning... I've already eliminated most of my NPC contacts... the rest will soon be gone...
Thanks NB, I hope the tutorial made sense and that all of it wasn't too repetitive. The biggest drawback, from what I can tell is the lack of a "hey, talk to me" icon above her head.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-08-2011, 05:55 PM
Yes the lack of the designator seems to be the only "drawback" but you can use the automatic waypoint and just go with it.. I'm not worried in the slightest about some silly cartoon text bubble thing over their heads... they look silly anyway...
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-08-2011, 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
The biggest drawback, from what I can tell is the lack of a "hey, talk to me" icon above her head.
And also the default text response you get when the contact isn't being used in an objective or isn't placed in a marker that is currently an objective. On the other hand, contacts don't have animations, can't wonder (that's both good and bad though) or have jobs, so for now I'm usually ignoring contacts as well.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-08-2011, 06:07 PM
Who knows? Maybe the next big foundry build will put contacts on par with groups, as far as animations and other options go. It would make sense, and I'm not sure why Cryptic hasn't done that up to this point. Most of my open beta tutorials would become useless, lol.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-08-2011, 06:15 PM
Quote:
Who knows? Maybe the next big foundry build will put contacts on par with groups, as far as animations and other options go. It would make sense, and I'm not sure why Cryptic hasn't done that up to this point.
I think they did it because in essence the difference between Contact and NPC in an NPC group is a set of artificial rules put in place so that Cryptic is able to deliver functionality to us in manageable portions. I know that's how I'd expose my API, not everything at once and in a controlled fashion.

Quote:
Most of my open beta tutorials would become useless, lol.
I don't think they'd be useless since they could be used to demonstrate just how much the Foundry has advanced!
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-08-2011, 06:09 PM
Yes... I have more editing to do... trying to get my postings current first... LOL At least my BO pathing seems to be improving with each withdraw and publish... they are getting stuck less and less these days... even the Fire Caves are doing a little better now...
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-08-2011, 06:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfPit View Post
And also the default text response you get when the contact isn't being used in an objective or isn't placed in a marker that is currently an objective. On the other hand, contacts don't have animations, can't wonder (that's both good and bad though) or have jobs, so for now I'm usually ignoring contacts as well.
You do also run the risk of what might be coming up in the Foundry. By that I mean that, right now, we only have that one line of a dialogue, the default text. Well, in the future, we might be able to put in a conversation there instead, with multiple options, maybe a selection of default stores, that sort of thing.

So, in time, you might wind up having to change a bunch of them back to contacts. Of course, it is on Tribble, so it'll eventually all get nuked anyway, but...

That said, it'd probably be a good idea to /bug and/or post in the feedback forum that one should be able to set up idle contact anims a bit better. I should be able to, for example, set a base anim for a contact. And then add a second and third anim to play from time to time, with a weight and time between checks and such.