Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
So I finally got to the rank with my Gorn character to play the Fek'lhri missions, which I wasn't exactly anticipating much because when they came out, the reaction on the forums was, by and large, "OMG if I wanted to play this crap I'd play WoW."

However, I'm completely befuddled by this now because I've beaten the arc and I have to say the Fek'lhri missions were some of the best I'd played in this game for story, entertainment, and sheer combat ... they distinctly felt like I was playing a really fleshed out Featured Episode series, and when I was done I truly felt like I had played something more epic than most of the Fed missions in the game.

I'm bothered that this approach was abandoned. It was a big part of the Season when it came out, but the STO team has focused on neutral-themed Feature Episodes for the bang-for-your-buck factor. As useful as that is, there is still ... and always will be ... a feeling that the Klingon faction is lacking in content as long as Klingon specific PVE content isn't there. To me, the Fek'lhri arc proves that they know how to do this -- all they need to do is do an arc for, say, the Gorn, the Orions, the Nausicaans, and the Letheans ... and place each arc at each tier, and I'd consider Klingon PVE content done. I think its entirely possible for them to handle such as Featured Episodes too, if they really wanted to.

Obviously that'd be resource intensive, but the pay off for having people no longer complaining about Klingon content would be worth it.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-11-2011, 12:38 PM
i had suggested doing the weekly series of maybe 4 or 5 eps for both faction and having one ep for each series as a klingons only ep. sort of sneak it in so fed players dont complain. that way the Klingons slowly get more and more and the gulf in content decreases without annoying the vast majority of players.

at this stage they wont make klingon only eps in bulk no matter how much we ask because the vast majority simply dont play klingons at all.

its a shame everybody does not play both factions then the solution would have been far simpler.
Lt. Commander
# 3 The Foundry
01-11-2011, 12:51 PM
At this point the Foundry is the best hope for great Klingon-only episodes. I too recently did the Fek'hiri missions and thought they were among the game's best. Too bad they didn't get more for the early ranks so there was a direct levelling path. But that means the Foundry for now is the best resource to give the KDF a levelling path early on. We have some fanatical KDF players (the type who dress up as Klingons at cons, for example) who I hope prove to have the skills to make great missions from that point of view.

My main worry though is with a limit of 8 missions total people will mostly make them Feds because 88% of the playerbase will be eligible to play those while 12% are eligible for the KDF ones. I would be more likely to make missions that could get a 4x bigger potential audience. Maybe they'll let people get 8 missions for Feds and another 8 just for KDF, and that would fix this problem.

People will play KDF if there is enough great missions to play through. The ships are awesome; it's the lack of content that makes levelling one up a chore. I only this week got my first general on the KDF side and I have 6 Fed vice admirals. And it was a grind, repeating missions over and over to get there. Since there are not the resources at Cryptic to do KDF missions along with the Featured episodes, it is left to the community to make the KDF a compelling experience. I hope we're up to the challenge.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-11-2011, 12:57 PM
shameless plug but if you like kdf then have a crack at my mission in my sig.

you might even see some fek'ihri in there.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-11-2011, 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havraha View Post
So I finally got to the rank with my Gorn character to play the Fek'lhri missions, which I wasn't exactly anticipating much because when they came out, the reaction on the forums was, by and large, "OMG if I wanted to play this crap I'd play WoW."
Uh, I do believe this general sentiment was directed at the "fantasy" aspect of these series, not the way these missions were done.

Don't get me wrong, I too think that this story-arc was awesome. But still I would prefer something more sci-fi'ish for the future. Doing this once was okay, as it is a pretty important aspect of Klingon culture and every Trek show had its "mystery" episodes - just saying that fantasy should never become a focus of K-side PvE just because Klingons are rather superstitious.

Another negative aspect was that this arc was entirely focused on Klingon characters.

I for one would like to see the sub-factions get fleshed out more. Not only with their own ships, but unique species-specific mission as well. They don't have to be as "big" as the real missions, but I could imagine a quick daily only accessible to a certain species (Orions go smuggle, Nausicaans raid a convoy, Klingons put down a rebellion on a conquered world, Gorn "liberate" ancient ruins on an abandoned colony from Federation scientists, ...). Or differing contact NPCs and slightly altered dialogue on "full" missions available to all, but still taking the player character's species into consideration.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-11-2011, 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valias
Another negative aspect was that this arc was entirely focused on Klingon characters.
I noticed that ... Kahless kept asking me to show how much of a true Klingon I was, and I kept thinking to myself "Yeah but I'm Gorn..." and that's when the idea hit me that, really, this was like "The Klingon arc", and they could totally do a "Gorn arc", Nausicaan arc, Lethean, etx, to fill out the tiers more.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-11-2011, 01:12 PM
I have to admit. I had always heard Klingons had it hard and they do.

However, the Fek'ihri missions are quite possibly the best written arc in game. I REALLY enjoyed playing them on my Klingon. I like the Breen series too, but still not as good....... Well, maybe if I got a Breen shocky stick at the end my opinion might be swayed.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-11-2011, 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganWilliams
I have to admit. I had always heard Klingons had it hard and they do.

However, the Fek'ihri missions are quite possibly the best written arc in game. I REALLY enjoyed playing them on my Klingon. I like the Breen series too, but still not as good....... Well, maybe if I got a Breen shocky stick at the end my opinion might be swayed.
Agreed, I was gambling hard for that shocky stick. Maybe it'll come in a future Breen series.

However, until then, they upcoming lirpa will have to do. :-D
Lt. Commander
# 9 I'ts not superstition
01-11-2011, 01:32 PM
It's not superstition if the Klingon afterlife is real. Episodes from the series set this afterlife as real and canon so having missions in Gre'thor is real too. I just call it another dimension for that sci-fi feel. Having Klingon souls go there stretches science as we know it, but if it's canon then I guess we just accept that Klingons can and do go there.

It is true that these episodes don't really fit other KDF races. Of course a lot of dialogue doesn't really sound right coming out of the mouth of an Orion female or a Gorn or Nausicaan either, but I try to rationalize that by having "culture drift" from the Klingons to their client states. Once conquered, the Gorn tend to adopt Klingon speech and customs, for example.

I agree with the OP who thought we should then have a Gorn and Orion arc, etc. to flesh out those races too. It will take the Foundry to do that unless Cryptic decides to make new episodes featuring them later.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-11-2011, 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakkar View Post
It's not superstition if the Klingon afterlife is real. Episodes from the series set this afterlife as real and canon so having missions in Gre'thor is real too.
What exactly are you referring to? The only episodes I recall were extremely vague about the entire subject (remember B'Elanna was essentially dreaming) - and if only your soul went to Gre'thor I don't see how you can explain coming back with a new sword, which obviously is a physical thing, not to mention that the Fek'ihri invading Qo'noS were very real.

It is my opinion that Klingon legend is 50% truth and 50% exaggeration, distorting possibly real historical events in the same way as Earth religion did until they became things that cannot be rationally explained.

Did you know that an early draft for the "Soldiers of the Empire" episode of DS9 had the crew of the Rotarran rediscover Gre'thor as a place existing in reality, something that was simply forgotten and replaced by myth over time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakkar View Post
I agree with the OP who thought we should then have a Gorn and Orion arc, etc. to flesh out those races too. It will take the Foundry to do that unless Cryptic decides to make new episodes featuring them later.
It will be a long time until the Foundry is capable of producing anything close to such "professional" missions, sadly. :/