Lt. Commander
I'm sick. I was confined indoors this weekend with a bug, so i decided to catch up with some of the recently added content that I'd never tried. So, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights I spent doing Diplomacy, The Breen Series, ad the Devidian Series.

Diplomacy- This was great! I thoroughly enjoyed these missions and ended up doing them all. I reached Atache level and really felt proud. The missions were interesting, had good stories, made me think (and concentrate), and had nice payoffs. My favorite was the Bajoran one, where I had to prove the Cardassian Captain wasn't a traitor. Excellent use of the game engine, and well thought out. I hope they keep adding missions like these.

The Breen- These missions were awesome. I liked how the entire series took place in its own Sector. I look forward to the day when every Sector has it's own storyarc like this, and the forums are full of players wanting the Star Trek universe expanded in order to fit everyone in! I was never a fan of STS9, so I wasn't familiar with the Breen, but they're really good villains. What was the power the main guy kept using? I went from full health to dead in no time flat. I quickly learned to keep moving and firing when he showed up.

The missions were interesting, had a good mix of space combat, ground combat, and puzzles, and the story made sense. One quibble was that the Breen had a kind of "**** Dasterdly and Muttley" thing going on, in that, in one mission, I'd be fighting the Breen to get a clue as to where to go next, would win, then go to the next location, only to encounter--the Breen. If they knew where to go, why did I have to... well, never mind. I also liked how there are daily missions here that are related to the action. The Sector was full of players, bouncing from one planet to another, helpfully answering questions if I got stuck. There was a real sense of community in the Sector, and I enjoyed it very much.

The Devidians- NOTE_I haven't done the final mission yet, as I ran late last night. This review is only up through the next-to-last mission. This series was terrible!

First, I'll start with what I liked: I enjoyed the mission where you go back in time and meet McCoy. The artwork was beautiful, and it made me want to go watch some ST:TOS episodes. I'm definitely going to use some C-points to buy TOS costumes now. I also enjoyed the first 30 minutes or so that I spent in "What Lies Beneath", as it reminded me of my Doom/Doom 2 days. The holo-villain in that mission, Gein (named for Ed Gein, I presume) was also really scary and challenging.

Here's what I DIDN'T like:
The Devidians- There's an old adage among actors in the theatre that states "Play the accent or the limp, but not the accent AND the limp". The Devidians are able to phase through different realities AND can time travel. Yikes! Is there an "I Surrender" button I can push? How can a player ever hope to defeat enemies that overpowered? And yet, I kept winning fight after fight. Are the Devidians like Rainman, where they're super-smart in scientific matters but can't dress themselves in the morning? What's the matter with these people? Also, are they space vampires, or are they just misunderstood aliens? Iw as never clear about any of this.

Ground Combat- I like ground combat as much as anyone, but not for EVERY single mission! How about a little variety? Although the first part of What Lies Beneath was fun, it really got old after the first hour. How many dark hallways do I need to wander through? is it almost over?

Mission Rewards- On 2 occasions, my choices for mission rewards included an item my contact just mentioned as being needed for the next mission. Does that mean I MUST take that as my reward instead of the other items? I don't know. I played it safe and took the reward I thought I may need. If you MUST have the item, let us know this.

Business Owners- Once again, the only business people in the Star Trek universe are pirates, bartenders, or Ferengi (or some combination of those). is it possible that there are Vulcan business managers or Betazoid marketing gurus out there in Star Trek land? Someone who's NOT a shady character trying to make a quick buck off unsuspecting rubes? Again, a little variety would be nice. (That said, I think the next playable race in this game should be the Ferengi. it would be very easy to program. You create your character and then invest real money in an actual brokerage account set up through the C-Store. Each day, your gains or losses in the stock market are reflected in your character's XP. A few minutes to create, a lifetime to PROFIT!) lol

Overall, a fun weekend (despite feeling lousy). 2 out of 3 isn't bad, especially with how excellent Diplomacy and the Breen turned out to be.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-17-2011, 12:31 PM
I personally extremely dislike the grand majority of the diplomacy missions. They just don't have a great 'diplomatic' feel and just seem like rudimentary fetch quests most of the times. Just my 2 latinum.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-17-2011, 12:46 PM
i thought the devidian series was miles better than the breen series.

to each their own.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-17-2011, 06:45 PM
Theres the problem , all the new content done in a couple of sittings , STO is crying for content!

Breen i liked more than Devidians.

Romulan ones i hope are even better , and i hope they are alot longer and in depth and unique.