Lt. Commander
# 1 Closed
01-18-2011, 12:28 PM
Many Thanks for Reading.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-18-2011, 12:39 PM
Is this just for UGC? The reason I ask is because there are already some great Foundry resources (starbaseugc.com for instance) out there and this seems a little redundant.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-18-2011, 01:02 PM
.................................................. ..........
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-18-2011, 01:20 PM
I don't know if it's my web design experience talking, or just a viewers perspective -- but to be honest the overall layout/design of the site is quite ugly. You might want to look into just using a normal CMS/Template and modifiying it for your needs. To be even more brutally honest it looks more like a geocities website, then a site that the community will overall enjoy at the moment. All the 'big community' websites that exist in the world for various mmo's tend to do so because they have a 'professional' look to them.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-18-2011, 01:22 PM
.................................................. .......
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-18-2011, 01:30 PM
I'm kind of confused as to the purpose/focus of the site. What is it for?
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-19-2011, 07:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by keromor View Post
I am a website Designer myself and I have used and modified the CMS thank you, It looks nothing like a geocities website and is not Ugly, And i May also add it says it is the beta version of the site.
Being a web developer myself, I would have to say that is some of the worst I've seen in the industry. Beta does not mean that you can have a semi-live environment that looks that bad. Beta means semi-finished, not face rolling across your keyboard and releasing said service/product/etc.

I understand the whole 'everyone's opinions' type dealio but I have to say this doesn't look like the work of a web designer/developer in the slightest. The background image is tiled and is an eyesore, not to mention clashes with the other color choices. There is an entire slew of spelling and grammar issues, which gives a very, very amateur and 'first time' feel. You're using a very dark background table color with high contrast superior table colors, which creates a lot of eye strain.

Continuing on, using a VB forum software =/= a true CMS system. That being said, claiming that it's a 'website package' is quite misleading as all it is right now is a public VB forum. I'm not saying that forums are bad or can't be centered around but in this case it's technically a forum, not a website package IMHO.

That being said, I can support what you are doing. I enjoy more 'advanced' discussion and fan sites have the ability to moderate content and 'forum police' 100's of times better then official forums. This keeps discussion usually on topic and the forums less messy. Although, if you really want to make it into a full-on community site, I would suggest actually using a CMS and posting said reviews/updates/etc on a news/update/etc page and link to the forum itself for discussion. There are many examples of websites that do this, one that comes to mind is http://www.mmorpg.com/newsroom.cfm Having a normal 'website package' gives an overall feel of professionalism and will bring many more members - IMHO.

Lastly, as I stated, I'm glad your doing this project as it can fill a void of community sites right now. Please don't insult my field of employment by saying this is done by a career web developer. As just clicking the link and viewing the 'front page' it's quite obvious that it isn't. Although, if you are wanting to go into the field, one great way to go about it is practicing by making websites for yourself. So I urge you to continue your project, but to please just Google for some of the 'amateur mistakes a web developer can make' and adjust some of which you made.

Good luck

Quote:
Seriously. What purpose does your site serve that can't be done better here on this forum, or on already existing sites, such as STO Wiki or the UGC Wiki?
As I previously stated there are many things that a 'fan site community' can achieve that official forums can not. Due to how forums 'work' much great content is constantly lost if it's not 'well maintained by the forum staff'. A community site with great moderators can also keep discussion calm, civil, and coherent - something that these forums do not do in the slightest. A great community site actually adds to the STO community, rather then detracting from it IMHO.

Quote:
Why did you even bother to help people? Do you see what it's gotten you? What a shame, I hope you've learned your lesson. I would like to thank you for your efforts, at least you did SOMETHING, take heart in that.
If you can't handle constructive criticism you don't belong in a field, or trying to partake in a field which is all about criticism. That being said - no one has been rude here. Other then you trying to troll people attempting to help him. Good try though!