Lt. Commander
# 1 Bug? Forcefields and NPC mobs?
01-19-2011, 12:55 PM
This could be a useful feature, but I want to confirm if it's working as intended.

If I put an enemy npc inside a forcefield holding cell or the Forcefield - Borg 01, they will not fire on me unless provoked. If I use mastiffs costumed as Klingons, then I can give the player a choice to brutally kill a prisoner of war and the prisoner cannot fire back.

The enemy npcs also do not magically transport out of the cells.

Is this working as intended? It could be very useful, like roaming a borg cube and choosing whether or not to provoke the Borg.

Thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-19-2011, 04:35 PM
Hmm, I'm not sure. I'll point some other people to this thread and see if one of them has a better answer for you.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-19-2011, 05:12 PM
The behavior you are describing sounds plausible, because of the way our line of sight checks work in Foundry maps. We changed the attack line-of-sight check to be bidirectional, so it would work through one-sided objects like force fields or from the inside of objects. But we might have left aggro the way it was.

I don't know why the mastiffs don't teleport to the player if they can't get within melee distance; that sounds like a bug. Enemy NPCs, if they can't attack you, should definitely do something magic in the last resort.

In both cases, I'm not sure I can guarantee that the behavior won't change in the future. And the "don't attack until provoked" thing seems to me like it would be better implemented as a behavior so you don't need the force field at all.

-Tau
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-19-2011, 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TauNeutrino
The behavior you are describing sounds plausible, because of the way our line of sight checks work in Foundry maps. We changed the attack line-of-sight check to be bidirectional, so it would work through one-sided objects like force fields or from the inside of objects. But we might have left aggro the way it was.

I don't know why the mastiffs don't teleport to the player if they can't get within melee distance; that sounds like a bug. Enemy NPCs, if they can't attack you, should definitely do something magic in the last resort.

In both cases, I'm not sure I can guarantee that the behavior won't change in the future. And the "don't attack until provoked" thing seems to me like it would be better implemented as a behavior so you don't need the force field at all.

-Tau
Thanks, this is a great response. Very helpful.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-19-2011, 06:06 PM
I'm getting mixed results....from what i can tell they all run toward the attacked mob. No teleport..
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-19-2011, 07:54 PM
Ok, make a map, place your borg ForceField, create a group and place it as far away as possible. Then move your "captive" into FF chamber. The group will not spawn....

Now, if you are within "sight line" your mob group will spawn, <250ft or m?>

Curiously, if you melee the mob in the FF, he won't retaliate, however the group will move to attack you....If you shoot an armed mob he shoots back..... Which you noted, since your mob had no distance weapons only close combat attacks....

I've been wondering how to manipulate this in beta foundry...

Try a sneak attack scenario..... Place a group of orions around a point..... then place a group of (enemy) sehlats "MINUS ONE THAT YOU PUT IN THE CENTER OF ORIONS" at the other.... Hilarity ensues when you trigger your, talk to contact, "watch ambush"(kill group), or just be kill group.

Darn things attack everything.....Chess anyone.....

You could take it so far as to add options for people to choose the combatants, in a v.flower. Kill group would summon the combatant, you could even make it a kobayashi maru.....

Sorry, I had about 300 ideas running through my head.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-19-2011, 08:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highbone
Ok, make a map, place your borg ForceField, create a group and place it as far away as possible. Then move your "captive" into FF chamber. The group will not spawn....

Now, if you are within "sight line" your mob group will spawn, <250ft or m?>

Curiously, if you melee the mob in the FF, he won't retaliate, however the group will move to attack you....If you shoot an armed mob he shoots back..... Which you noted, since your mob had no distance weapons only close combat attacks....

I've been wondering how to manipulate this in beta foundry...

Try a sneak attack scenario..... Place a group of orions around a point..... then place a group of (enemy) sehlats "MINUS ONE THAT YOU PUT IN THE CENTER OF ORIONS" at the other.... Hilarity ensues when you trigger your, talk to contact, "watch ambush"(kill group), or just be kill group.

Darn things attack everything.....Chess anyone.....

You could take it so far as to add options for people to choose the combatants, in a v.flower. Kill group would summon the combatant, you could even make it a kobayashi maru.....
Your mind is racing here, Highbone. Can you say all of this again, real slow?
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-19-2011, 11:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TauNeutrino
, I'm not sure I can guarantee that the behavior won't change in the future. And the "don't attack until provoked" thing seems to me like it would be better implemented as a behavior so you don't need the force field at all.

-Tau
Well... Currently we only have one behavior. I guess that means we will be getting more? Soon?
Lt. Commander
# 9 Pulling the trigger
01-20-2011, 06:53 AM
I just figured out how to "trigger" mobs without objectives. It has to do with "line of sight" or lack thereof. posting a demo soon. Ok, just finished the Demo, publish complete, it's called NPC Group Trigger - ST-T0110T03Y.

Enjoy
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-20-2011, 10:35 AM
Gotcha Highbone, one mob pulling another cause an ambush cascade overrun. I did that in my mission as well, it's nice to see when it actually works, i.e. when the player is unaware and attacks just one Borg drone and then a whole bunch of them start walking towards the player and their team.