Lt. Commander
# 1 delta flyer/shuttles
02-02-2011, 09:44 PM
hi all, if this sounds like a troll or an attemtp to flame then that is not my intention.

im at aloss to see the relevence to the shuttles in the game, the detla flyer and the runabout.

ive looked at their statastics and console slots and read that they match your captains level, but fact remains they can only fit 2 weapons 1 shield 1 engine 1 engi 1 sci 1 tac consoles.

i have absolutley no use what so ever for a ship like that. you cant even really use it in rp due to their being an excesive amount fo loading screens and every erea being an instance and probably the most important thing. ship interior still has utterly no use.

and thats before we go along the playability route. why would we fly a delta flyer or a runabout. its not like we can take part in stf's with them or even use them for missions.

they dont improve travel in sector space as thats pretty much the same pace for all players at which ever level they are at.

im not asking for these tiny little things to have 4 fore weapons and 4 aft with 4 tac or enginerring slots.

but you would have thought that these insignificant little ships ythat are quiet litterally of no use to no one would have some kind of usefull special ability that could indeed be used and implemented into fleet action or grouping gameing or just gaming for that matter.

it does not!!

if im missing something about these pointless additions other than their rp usage for what little that could be please can some one be so kind as to enlighten me. thanx

here are a few recomendations for cryptic to imporve the gameing pleasure of its ordiance and at the same time bring a bit more use and functionality to the ships which make the game the game.

1 - ship interiors are a good idea, but they are only a good idea if they have uses, for example right now the inside of my ship looks exactly the same as the inside of every other ships and if i may also add, the inside of our ships looks remarkably like the inside of a starbase lol. how big are those halls!!!!

so for the interest of gamers love for sto and the improvement and joy of sto to increase i propse scaleing the halls of our ship interior to a more realistic size. lets face it, right now we can fly shuttles up the corridors.

2 - ive still yet to find anything interactable. i wqould first like to thank cryptic for the interactable captains chair lol. not exactly usefull or of any point at all but its a start i guess.

and again not sure about the captains ready room and its mission console. bit pointless concidering we can use the other more swift way of simply pressing the L key.

i think its about time that these ere transporter pads had actually started to do their jobs and transport us. on all the startrek shows and films ive seen, the away teams have to beam everywhere dirctly from one of these pads. why is this not the case, secondly why isnt there research and development in science and engineering labs on our ships and why cant we furnish our ship interiors and create homes out of them.

also it might be a fantastic idea to get rid of the stupid replicator thing from our inventories and stick it all on the ship!!! i would particular find it a breath of fresh air to be able to aprooach a replicator and do the things we could before but on our ships.

and i also recomend our ships have storage vaults or store rooms.

all in all the ships them selves have little to no function other than spamming the skils to oblitarate ourr targets. how a bout a little more development in this area.

and for the love of god stick windows we can look out of on our ships and see whats going off out side, not this tacky esd window thing you have going on where they look like giant oil paintings that have no life to them.

even swg can do this and there game is god knows how old. im fairly confident that cryptic can achieve the same effects with far less effort.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-03-2011, 04:57 AM
I'm only going to address your main topic and that's the shuttle/flyer question. It's been mentioned many times that the upcoming featured episodes (as well as some future missions and content) will utilize shuttles.

Premise is this: unable to transport, let's get in the shuttle, etc and head over.

Shuttles/Runabout/Flyer/Captain's Yacht have their place in STO.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-03-2011, 07:59 AM
Its within your power to.. I dont know.. NOT using them.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-03-2011, 10:17 AM
As mentioned, the shuttles are now planned to be used in SPECIAL missions, which will be balanced for their unique (weaker) capabilities. You will not want to use them in every mission, but you will need one for the missions where you will be required to get in one. If you do not buy or craft the Delta Flyer or Runabout, you will be given a "standard" shuttle that is a little weaker than those.

Honestly, since the Runabout was always in the game but never had a purpose BEFORE, I'm kind of glad to see them adding a purpose for it. Of course, you don't need it, and you don't have to take the mission that will give you a standard shuttle.

(I'll add that I mailed a new character I created some equipment he could sell for some money, and then bought him the Runabout to use in place of the Light Cruiser. It has actually been a challenge. It's obviously not meant to be used that way, though, since you can only get it at DS9 and it cost as much as a Tier 3 starship. I don't know if it still costs that much, but very few starting players would have that)

For your other points:

If you go to the Ship Customization officer on a starbase and select the Bridge option, you will get two choices. The first lets you choose your Bridge, so you can pick a larger or smaller one if you wish. After this, the second screen says "Layout" and then offers you a choice of Small, Medium, and Large. Choose Small, and you will have a lot shorter walk to get around your ship. The halls will still be the same size, but the various rooms (which are always going to look the same) will be at the end of shorter, straight halls instead of curved ones.

Unfortunately, nothing can be done about the size of the bridge, halls or rooms, as apparently the devs believe they need to leave that much room for free movement of the camera. Or perhaps to allow for mutliple players on the same bridge at once. I'd like the option to choose smaller rooms AS WELL as a smaller layout, but for now it doesn't seem like it's going to happen.

If you go to the shelves in your Ready Room, or in the Lounge on Main Deck, you may place Trophies there. Even if you've done nothing else in the game, I believe you'll be able to place little gold models of the ships you have unlocked for your level. Outside of that, the Captain's Chair, and the Mission Logs, that's all I've found that I can interact with at this time. However, the devs have said they plan to add more interation in the future.

It is important to note, though, that the devs clearly want to make it OPTIONAL for you to control any aspect of the ship from your bridge. You should be able to play the game without penalty without ever visiting your bridge at all. Being able to visit your bridge is meant for role playing, not to simplify or give you an advantage in gameplay.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-03-2011, 01:42 PM
At ESD, in the ship requisitions, they sell the runabout for 35000 credits. Just find the shuttle requisitions officer.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-03-2011, 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindmage View Post
At ESD, in the ship requisitions, they sell the runabout for 35000 credits. Just find the shuttle requisitions officer.
I'm guessing that's new, and yeah, that's a much lower price. IIRC it was about 300,000 credits before.

Not an impossible amount to raise, but somewhat steep for a shuttle.
Lt. Commander
# 7 A greed
02-03-2011, 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream-Weaver
hi all, if this sounds like a troll or an attemtp to flame then that is not my intention.

im at aloss to see the relevence to the shuttles in the game, the detla flyer and the runabout.

ive looked at their statastics and console slots and read that they match your captains level, but fact remains they can only fit 2 weapons 1 shield 1 engine 1 engi 1 sci 1 tac consoles.

i have absolutley no use what so ever for a ship like that. you cant even really use it in rp due to their being an excesive amount fo loading screens and every erea being an instance and probably the most important thing. ship interior still has utterly no use.

but you would have thought that these insignificant little ships ythat are quiet litterally of no use to no one would have some kind of usefull special ability that could indeed be used and implemented into fleet action or grouping gameing or just gaming for that matter..

I'm going to have to agree with Dream-Weaver on this. I understand the need to develop the most "important" items first in a game--especially a new one--but I was wholeheartedly disappointed in the runabouts. Honestly, getting a runabout was 25% of the reason why I wanted to play this game in the first place!

And when I heard that ship interiors had been added, I was thrilled. How many people have actually seen the inside of a runabout? Hell, the back of the ship had only been featured in ONE episode in the entire ST series! This was a great chance for the devs to show us their expertise.

Nope.

Let me get this straight... the two SMALLEST ships don't have interiors?! The two smallest? That's like rebuilding a car's engine and forgetting to add oil. And now they're offering the Delta Flyer which also, presumably, has no interior as well and slightly better weaponry.

Dream-Weaver's right... Crypic dropped the ball on this one.