Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
I'm curious to see what names folks gave to Captains and BOs in species that do not have many names provided in canon. I'm just a bit of language geek is all. :-)

These are the species I'm particularly interested:

Pakleds

Caitans

Benzites

Boleans

Saurians

Rigelians

Orions

Nausicaans

_____

I have:
Pakled: Eglindrod (male)

Bolean: Rogg Brennixx (male)

Rigelian: Chishenith (female, about to be added)

Orion: L'Darinus Igren-Rhis Sranagar (male), V'delen Magrisoh Karalsa (female), Vevren Yan D'iolannis (female), Gayla Zh'vrot (female, yes I stole the first name, but if there can be more than one John in the world, why not more than one Gayla? :-) )

Nausicaan: Rhothigaas, Agdarh, Tevrhenet (all male, of course)

Thanks for sharing
Peace
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-07-2011, 07:57 PM
I have a Pakled Engineer bridge officer named Zoom.
Lt. Commander
# 3 How Not To Name Your Saurian
02-07-2011, 08:53 PM
I run with a mostly Saurian crew, and I have found suitable names something of a chore to come up with. Most of the time I just take what the random name generator gives me and fiddle with the spelling until it looks vaguely like what the few noncanon Saurian names look like. Given the limitations of the naming options, I just went with a traditional first name/last name scheme (as I believe the game does as well.)

I did put a modicum of effort into naming my alt to the left here. Her name is Lovka Yazhyrsa (pronounced "ya-ZHIR-sa"), which is a heavily corrupted version of "lavender lizard" translated into Russian then transliterated back into English. A little stupid, yes, but it sounds nice and alien and vaguely lizardy.

The following are my Saurian BOs:

Dodeki Choka - Male Sci
Notka Erradeh - Female Eng
Dryptas Razka - Male Tac
Choza Vuri - Female Sci
Inikk Dameh - Male Sci
Mezkan Traki - Male Eng

The only one I really worked on was Razka; he's named after the badass Saurian security officer that saved Riker's bacon in A Time to Kill, while his first name comes from the ferocious Dryptosaurus.

I did have a female Saurian tac on my first alt, though I just left her with the pregenerated name Dacho. Still, she kicked enough ass that she inspired me to fly in the face of reason and pick a female Saurian for my main alt.

I also have a female Benzite engineer alt; thankfully there's a sizable amount of material on them at Memory Beta. I named her Madral, from the geostructure of Dathet. As near as I can tell, it fits with what few Benzite naming conventions supposedly exist in soft canon.

Sorry I can't go into much detail (I've always been terrible at languages), but I hope this is enough to get some of the creative thoughts going.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-07-2011, 09:06 PM
Caitian: R'rha'asa (M) & M'Ress (F)
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-07-2011, 09:21 PM
Malashenko --I like your thought processes!
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-07-2011, 09:22 PM
My Nausicaan is named Jum-Jum
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-11-2011, 12:06 PM
Oh, and Letheans, too! (Though I've only seen a couple running around thus far, and there aren't Lethean BOs.)
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-13-2011, 08:26 PM
My Caitian Medical Officer is nick-named Hobbes after the late 20th Century Comic Strip Calvin and Hobbes

My Orion Tactical Officer is called T'Riel

My Vulcan Counselor is T'Pawn
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-13-2011, 08:32 PM
My Caitian alt is named M'Rawl. He got the name from what our cat sounds like when he wants out.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-14-2011, 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey_Who
My Caitian Medical Officer is nick-named Hobbes after the late 20th Century Comic Strip Calvin and Hobbes

My Orion Tactical Officer is called T'Riel

My Vulcan Counselor is T'Pawn
Oh you just gave me an awsome idea for a vulcan name: T'Pwn get it eh fine; i get it, not funny.