Lt. Commander
# 1 Reverse engineering loot?
02-09-2011, 05:53 PM
This isnt my idea, but its one I like. Its nothing complicated either, simply have an option to reverse engineer loot we may not want for anomalous components. I would imagine you wouldnt get the exact same amount of components required to build a brand new item, but maybe 75%?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-09-2011, 05:57 PM
Can you reverse-engineer a cup of coffee back into the water, milk and coffee grounds, all separated? I believe it would take nothing less than a chemical laboratory to do it. Growing more coffee beans and milking more cows and is far easier and more economical. Same could be said for anomalies.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-09-2011, 06:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten-Nemesis View Post
Can you reverse-engineer a cup of coffee back into the water, milk and coffee grounds, all separated? I believe it would take nothing less than a chemical laboratory to do it. Growing more coffee beans and milking more cows and is far easier and more economical. Same could be said for anomalies.
I think a Centrifuge would do just that actually. Unless the milk and water have some kind of chemical reaction to the coffee grounds.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-09-2011, 06:10 PM
Thats pretty much what you do with the trash loot in Champions Online - its not a bad system, might add some more depth to it.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-09-2011, 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberion1701
Thats pretty much what you do with the trash loot in Champions Online - its not a bad system, might add some more depth to it.
It would not only add more depth to crafting, it would make crafting materials a little bit cheaper, too, since they'll be a lot easier to come by.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-09-2011, 06:45 PM
Quote:
Except anomalies aren't just coffee beans and cows you can grab from the local nursery or farm; they're anomalies because they're not common.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-10-2011, 12:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
This isnt my idea, but its one I like. Its nothing complicated either, simply have an option to reverse engineer loot we may not want for anomalous components. I would imagine you wouldnt get the exact same amount of components required to build a brand new item, but maybe 75%?
I came up with a proposal back in May of last year for crafting that involved reverse-engineering (even got mentioned on STOked!), where the types of items we tossed in our replicator would unlock types of items we could generate from it. Essentially, we'd be 'teaching' our replicators the patterns to make certain items.

Quote:
Well, we have replicator technology here, which breaks down items into component atomic particles. So you could recycle the coffee in your replicator where it would break it down into an amount of Oxygen, Hydrogen, Carbon, and other atoms, and then in turn it could rearrange those atoms back into configurations of milk, water, and some semblance of coffee beans. I imagine, however, that you would get less amount of mass in return due to some amount of energy loss in the conversion process. Which would be a reason to farm more basic elements.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-10-2011, 01:32 AM
I love the reverse engineering idea, and especially the idea about uncommon/rare/very rare items having 1, 2, or 3 slots that you could interchange between items.

I guess you'd have to be careful that people didn't buy a couple of cheap items (or craft the items that took only a few data samples) and then add those item's 'extras' to the slots on a purple device, instead of either buying the purple device outright or crafting it (and using more samples). For example, it might take fewer data samples to craft two green phaser arrays and then add their mods to a single blue phaser array, than it would to actually craft the blue phaser array in the first place. Cryptic would have to balance that out to make sure that crafting directly is slightly cheaper.

Overall though, it's a great idea. Consider me /signed.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-10-2011, 05:29 AM
Quote:
Actually, I think a replicator could do this, and more, taking it back down to it's atomic components.

Considering there's a replicator in ever set of quarters on a starship, I doubt a heavy think-tank like Memory Alpha would have much trouble disassembling a Phaser Bank or Plasma Pistol and taking it back to it's base materials.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-10-2011, 06:45 AM
Quote:
No, but you can dump out the liquid and use the mug for crafting any beverage that requires 1 x Mug.

[edit] To clarify, the recycling process probably won't be 100% efficient. Some portion of the materials needed for crafting the item would be recovered and could be reused crafting a similar item.