Lt. Commander
Photos, pics, whatever...

A lot of websites don't like this. People link up their photos and eat up their bandwidth. Then they make a big deal sometimes about people "stealing" their photos and linking them without permission onto other websites (like this one ).

I think it's stupid. And by "it" I mean complaining about it. As someone who's a web designer I figure it's just a fact of the internet. There's nothing unethical about linking something you find in a public place (the internet) somewhere else as long as you don't take credit for it, aren't purposefully killing their bandwidth and it's not something like a Comic book which is out there for the money (stealing)!

A lot of websites try to protect from it and largely fail. I say stop trying. If it's online it's fair game.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-10-2011, 09:14 PM
Yousa talking about everyone linking to pictures on Ex Astris Scientia?
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-10-2011, 10:09 PM
Not specifically but it's a good example.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-11-2011, 01:22 AM
I personally try not to. If I'm linking a picture, it's either one of my own creation or hosted with permission from the original author, and it's in my Photobucket album.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-11-2011, 01:28 AM
if you mean do i go onto google and type a name in, then link the first picture i see then yes i do.

if people dont like it they should not leave their pictures all over my internet connection.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-11-2011, 01:37 AM
I'm with Revo on this one. I take no credit for what's in the photo and it illustrates or underscores my point. It's like making a collage for a social studies class in high school. Besides they should be happy for the increased awareness of their material or product. At least that is the way I see it.